PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   WPA2 on Apache? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=62031)

eagle63 03-22-2009 04:52 PM

WPA2 on Apache?

I'd really like to use WPA2 (or WPA-AES) on my Apache, but it appears as though this isn't possible - either on the factory ROM's or any of the recent cooked ROM's.

Does anyone know the reason why? Is this a limitation on the Apache's WiFi hardware, or is it a driver issue? If it's a driver issue then wouldn't it be possible to strip some drivers from newer WM devices that DO support WPA2?

Just checking to see if anyone knows what the deal is. Thanks,

eagle63

PDAPhoneJunkie 03-22-2009 05:35 PM

Re: WPA2 on Apache?

Not an option. The WiFi chip will not support. I find WPA2 almost useless. Anyways you will need to set the router to WPA-PSK or WEP.

eagle63 03-22-2009 09:28 PM

Darn, that's too bad. Anyone know if the 6800 supports WPA2? I suppose I could always switch my router back to WPA-TKIP, but I'd rather not. Oh well. Thanks,

PDAPhoneJunkie 03-23-2009 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle63 (Post 790597)
Darn, that's too bad. Anyone know if the 6800 supports WPA2? I suppose I could always switch my router back to WPA-TKIP, but I'd rather not. Oh well. Thanks,

The 6800 does. But you gota remember, the 6700 is an old boy, been around much before these new router options.

weedahoe 03-23-2009 07:19 AM

Yeah I also was going to add that you would have to use TKIP on WPA but not WPA2. But really, unless your system is compromised by your neighbors I wouldnt bother. But I know how it is to want the latest and greatest and best thing out there..... ;-)

eagle63 03-23-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedahoe (Post 791733)
Yeah I also was going to add that you would have to use TKIP on WPA but not WPA2. But really, unless your system is compromised by your neighbors I wouldnt bother. But I know how it is to want the latest and greatest and best thing out there..... ;-)

Yeah, I know I'm being paranoid. :) My router is actually setup to use WPA-AES, which - as i understand it - is really the same thing as WPA2. In fact, I think WPA2 is just a certification rather than an actual spec or technology. So really the distinction is between AES and TKIP, the 6700 supports the latter but not the former.

Thanks all for the info!

gguruusa 03-23-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle63 (Post 792715)
Yeah, I know I'm being paranoid. :) My router is actually setup to use WPA-AES, which - as i understand it - is really the same thing as WPA2. In fact, I think WPA2 is just a certification rather than an actual spec or technology. So really the distinction is between AES and TKIP, the 6700 supports the latter but not the former.

Thanks all for the info!

WPA2 implements the mandatory elements of 802.11i. In particular, it introduces a new AES-based algorithm, CCMP, which is considered fully secure.

* from wikipedia