PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 04:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Arterion is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Arterion Send a message via MSN to Arterion Send a message via Yahoo to Arterion
Cooking Helmi in BuildOS 9.05

Hey guys,

I have been a long-time fan of ppcgeeks.com. I've had my Apache for over 2 years now, and it's pretty much never ran Sprint's ROM.

Being windows, I feel the need to cook up a new ROM every few months. I set out to do so last week with the newest build for Apache (2074. As it turns out, that build was pretty much unusable for me. There is a services.exe bug, some users report HTC Home doesn't work, .NET problems, and more.

I ended up going back to the earlier Helmi release, which is still included in BuildOS 9.05. However, it doesn't work without a little hacking. I thought I'd share what I had to do, for anyone else who needs to go back from 20748.

First, you need to change the path to the OEM rar. It was changed from "PPCGeeks_OEM.rar" to "PPCkitchen_OEM.rar". Just open the "Apache_Helmi_WM6.1 Selections.txt" in notepad and change the following line:

Quote:
OptionalModuleDir=Kitchens\PPCGeeks_OEM.rar:
To:

Quote:
OptionalModuleDir=Kitchens\PPCkitchen_OEM.rar:
You will still get some errors when you load the helmi selection file, but it is okay to ignore them.

HOWEVER, the .Net CF 3.5 is NOT included by default in Helmi. What you need to do is add it to the OEM rar. In order to do this, you need to open the "SYS_20748_Apache.rar" file and copy the "NetCF3.5" folder out.

1. Open \Kitchens\SYS_20748_Apache.rar
2. Copy the NetCF3.5 folder to a temporary location.
3. Open \Kitchens\PPCkitchen_OEM.rar
4. Copy the NetCF2.0 folder to a temporary location.
5. Copy option.xml from the NetCF2.0 folder to the NetCF3.5 folder.
6. Open \NetCF3.5\option.xml in notepad
6. Change the following lines:
Quote:
<Guid type="p">58f43c9f-bc38-430e-81d1-a2e6c650f225</Guid>
To:
<Guid type="p">38f43c9f-bc38-430e-81d1-a2e6c650f225</Guid>
And
<Item name=".NET CF 2.0" group="NETCF" checked="False">
To:
<Item name=".NET CF 3.5" group="NETCF" checked="True">
7. Add the NetCF3.5 folder to \Kitchens\PPCkitchen_OEM.rar
8. Select Apache_Helmi_WM6.1 Selections.txt from BuildOS
9. Ignore the errors
10. Check that the .NET 3.5 CF is listed in BuildOS. It should be selected by default.

On my Apache, this build is exceptionally stable and fast. The only issue I have is that applications installed on the EXT_ROM will occasionally not run, with an error that the application is not signed. I suspect this is due to the EXT_ROM not being a "trusted location" for code to run. I'm pretty sure it's related to .net apps, and that a registry tweak will fix it. When I figure it out, I'll update this post.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Cooking Helmi in BuildOS 9.05

Helmi will need to be updated to work with the just released BuildOS.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Lurker

Kirvus is a n00b

Also after you update BuildOS, you will also need to update the kitchen_config.txt in Apache_Helmi_WM6.1.rar.

1. Open Apache_Helmi_WM6.1.rar
2. Extract kitchen_config.txt
3. Change top line from : "KitchenConfigVersion=.90.01" to "KitchenConfigVersion=.90.02".
4. Add this text file back into the rar and you are good.

You still get a few errors when loading the selections.txt, but no big deal. I just created a ROM with it, I will see.

Thank you Arterion for your post!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700

JetEye7 is a n00b

Good catch Arterion. It works!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff

That makes more sense than what I did... (Copy PPCkitchen_OEM.rar file to new file called PPCGeeks_OEM.rar) Guess I'm just lazy...
Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6700
Carrier: sprint

PocketforAll is a n00b

Thanks Kirvus,
I kept on getting that "KitchenConfigVersion" error then it would crash. I'm good now.

This new kitchen has more options then the last one.

Thanks PPCGeeks, you guys rock.=D>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirvus View Post
Also after you update BuildOS, you will also need to update the kitchen_config.txt in Apache_Helmi_WM6.1.rar.

1. Open Apache_Helmi_WM6.1.rar
2. Extract kitchen_config.txt
3. Change top line from : "KitchenConfigVersion=.90.01" to "KitchenConfigVersion=.90.02".
4. Add this text file back into the rar and you are good.

You still get a few errors when loading the selections.txt, but no big deal. I just created a ROM with it, I will see.

Thank you Arterion for your post!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterion View Post
Being windows, I feel the need to cook up a new ROM every few months. I set out to do so last week with the newest build for Apache (2074. As it turns out, that build was pretty much unusable for me. There is a services.exe bug, some users report HTC Home doesn't work, .NET problems, and more.
The services and .Net problems have been resolved. Don't know of the others, or if they're any different than on Helmi.
Quote:
I ended up going back to the earlier Helmi release, which is still included in BuildOS 9.05. However, it doesn't work without a little hacking. I thought I'd share what I had to do, for anyone else who needs to go back from 20748.
A fixed version of Helmi compatible with the new BuildOS is available for manual download at http://ppckitchen.org/Downloads. I'll add it to updater soon.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development