PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700, LOOX720, TouchPro, TP2, Samsung E4GT
Carrier: Sprint

Dolphran is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ext ROM question

It is my understanding that if the ext ROM is left unhidden then that is where email attachments will go and there is no workaround known for this.

I assume that if I don't often receive large email attachments, then the 9+MB space of the ext ROM should be more than adequet for this purpose. Are there folks out there happily using it this way? Are there any other negative repercussions of having the ext ROM un-hidden?

What happens when there is insufficient room for an incoming attachment? Assuming that it is simply not stored (as opposed to overwritting existing ones) is there a way to know that a message was supposed to have an attachment but it wouldn't fit?

Does anyone know if alternative mail apps, such as WebIS FlexMail, have the same attachment issues?

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

brightedge is keeping up the good workbrightedge is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphran View Post
It is my understanding that if the ext ROM is left unhidden then that is where email attachments will go and there is no workaround known for this.
That is correct.

Quote:
I assume that if I don't often receive large email attachments, then the 9+MB space of the ext ROM should be more than adequet for this purpose.
I suppose so.

Quote:
Are there folks out there happily using it this way? Are there any other negative repercussions of having the ext ROM un-hidden?
Yes, there are people who are happily using it this way. Personally, I get a lot of email on my phone, and the ext ROM would fill up in a day. Other negative repercussions also deal with storing things outside of main memory (pictures, videos, etc.) Instead of going onto the SD, they will be stored in the measly 9MB ext ROM partition.

Quote:
What happens when there is insufficient room for an incoming attachment? Assuming that it is simply not stored (as opposed to overwritting existing ones) is there a way to know that a message was supposed to have an attachment but it wouldn't fit?
I believe you will receive an error stating that it could not be stored. To verify, send yourself a few 5MB attachments and report back.

Quote:
Does anyone know if alternative mail apps, such as WebIS FlexMail, have the same attachment issues?
I have never used any of these apps. If they rely upon Pocket Outlook, then I would assume that they would have the same issues.

Quote:
Thanks for your time.
You're welcome

As a side note, a user in another thread has just verified that it is possible to install applications to the ext ROM while it is unlocked, and still access them after hiding the ext ROM. Other than installing and running apps from the ext ROM, I can't think of a reason to prefer using it rather than a SD.

If you would like to hide the ext ROM after installing apps, change the value of the following key from 0 to 1, accept the changes, wait a minute, then soft reset.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\ TRUEFFS_DOC1]
"MountHidden"=dword:00000001

PS: Boston native myself
And in the kitchen, bind them.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700, LOOX720, TouchPro, TP2, Samsung E4GT
Threadstarter

Dolphran is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightedge View Post
Other negative repercussions also deal with storing things outside of main memory (pictures, videos, etc.) Instead of going onto the SD, they will be stored in the measly 9MB ext ROM partition.
Are you saying the SD is never accessable when the Ext ROM is unlocked, or are you refering to other application other than mail that will also only store to the ROM?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker

brightedge is keeping up the good workbrightedge is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Are you saying the SD is never accessable when the Ext ROM is unlocked, or are you refering to other application other than mail that will also only store to the ROM?
I am saying that Outlook will not be able to store attachments on the SD. You will still have access to the SD via File Explorer and what not.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:24 PM
N00b

Mikelundi is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Mikelundi Send a message via Yahoo to Mikelundi
Is it alright to delete everything in the Ext ROM, or should something in it be kept? And am I correct in saying that anything I erase would be restored with a soft reset (even if I don't let the customizations run?)
Old 12-16-2007, 11:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800 Titan (on Sprint) / PPC6700 (Sprint) Apache / Sprint Touch

tiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to tiermann Send a message via Yahoo to tiermann
You can delete everything in there if you're using a custom ROM with the carrier customizations built in.

No, they will not be restored after a soft-reset or a hard-reset. You will either need to copy the files back should you ever need them for anything, or flash a stock extended ROM (included in stock carrier ROM updates).
Old 12-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Ditch Doctor
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

GaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightedge View Post

As a side note, a user in another thread has just verified that it is possible to install applications to the ext ROM while it is unlocked, and still access them after hiding the ext ROM. Other than installing and running apps from the ext ROM, I can't think of a reason to prefer using it rather than a SD.
I placed a folder called MY Ringtones in the Extended Rom so I would not have to continually put my tones back in after each flash. When I hid the ext rom the ringtones are no longer available. Am I dong something wrong or is this an expected behavior?

Feel free to if choose to do so.
My ROM for Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, US Cellular and Cricket 20931 Base!!

The THANKS button is over there------------------------------------------------>
Old 09-12-2008, 06:01 PM
The Source of Power
Pocket PC: EVO4G & EPIC4g

Trident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to Trident
Re: Ext ROM question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiermann View Post
You can delete everything in there if you're using a custom ROM with the carrier customizations built in.

No, they will not be restored after a soft-reset or a hard-reset. You will either need to copy the files back should you ever need them for anything, or flash a stock extended ROM (included in stock carrier ROM updates).
I've been flashing these ROMs for a while... but I just got a refurb 6700 and after flashing a new 6.1 ROM and deleting the EXTRom, it does keep coming back after each soft reset.
Ideas?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development