PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 09:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: VX 6700
Carrier: Vz

thebadthief is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Every Noob asks: What kitchen to use.

Hello All,

Running VZ VX6700 WM 5.1.461
ROM: 3.14.30

Just starting out. I want to move to WM6 or 6.1 But I am lost on the options of each build. Can anyone help me sort out a good place to start?

Here are the features that I want in a WM6 ROM.

(1) A better UI- I want one handed use with access to phone text & Web.
(2) SMS and MMS fully operational
(3) Wifi that works

I have read a bunch of the threads, but they dont seem to say exactly what i am choosing over what. And since i dont know what the trade offs from one ROM than another I thought I would ask. I have done a few searches, but it seems like most of the WM6 has issues with MMS or Wi-fi. Is there a 'safe' ROM?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint

madman16420 is keeping up the good workmadman16420 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to madman16420
Re: Every Noob asks: What kitchen to use.

it is all up to the user ever one like some thing diff u got to use them to see what u like and welcome

Old 08-31-2008, 09:27 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

welcome home.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint TP; XV6900 before; XV6700 first
Carrier: was Verizon, now saving on Sprint

fredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stuff

you might want to check out ppckitchen.org, and the ppcgeeks threads on the buildos kitchen. By using the kitchen, you can build into a custom rom only the programs you want. Do a search for the different types of programs your looking for; there's lots of threads about today screens, MMS, etc. And have fun!!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Cricket!

squish_123 is a n00b

Hey there,

Was basically in the same spot as you a few weeks ago, except I've got Cricket. I jumped right into using Helmi's ROM and it seems to be working great for me.

As far as the UIs of the different builds.. I think they are all pretty much the same. Of course you can install certain customizations from the kitchen.

SMS should work out of the box for you, however MMS sometimes does take a bit of tinkering. Since you're using verizon I'd suggest that you do not select either version of Arcsoft MMS that's in the kitchen - however PDAPhoneJunkie recommended me the old official VZW arcsoft cab and I have had the best luck with that. Check this post

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36184

As far as I know most people using Helmi's WM6 have working wifi. Pretty sure mine works.

Just remember one thing - keep your rom very light in the kitchen, don't add a bunch of garbage 'til after you've flashed the rom to the phone.

Good luck captain. Let us know how it turns out.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:24 PM
My ROMS On My Site
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP

Yep use that old version of Arcsoft MMS! Works wonderful. I have a video too on how to properly flash. The second link in my signature has all the videos. Good luck.

If you enjoy my work or I have helped you out, and you want to send some love my way... it's appreciated but not required.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development