PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Should I give up on VOIP? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36076)

RjG 08-29-2008 09:15 PM

Should I give up on VOIP?

Been searching and reading threads all day here (and elsewhere) trying to get VOIP / SIP working on a PPC6700 (CDMA Bell )
I upgraded to Apache WM6.1 Kitchen CE OS 5.2.19716 (Build 19716.1.0.0) from WM5, no problem.

SipConfigTool_2_0_1.CAB let me set up my VOIP account.

Found a couple versions of WM6VoIP.CAB, none did anything for me.

apparently there is some problem with CDMA phones and the "Today" plugin? I don't even know what that is, or how that affects VOIP functinoality, lol.

Anyway, problem is I don't see the "internet" tab on the PHONE settings screen. And it's not selectable from the DIAL screen. I've seen 1/2 dozen other posts about that too here, read them all, but no solutions were posted on any of them either.

I don't use this phone anymore, and my goal was to turn it into a WIFI VOIP phone. So will I blow it up if I flash it with, say, SPRINT as the carrier instead of BELL? So it gets a GSM style flash? Will that make the VOIP part work properly? Or brick my phone forever? :-(

Like I said, I've been messing with this for over 8 hours now. If anyone has some clues, I'd SURE appreciate it.

gguruusa 08-29-2008 10:11 PM

Re: Should I give up on VOIP?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RjG (Post 398567)
Been searching and reading threads all day here (and elsewhere) trying to get VOIP / SIP working on a PPC6700 (CDMA Bell )
I upgraded to Apache WM6.1 Kitchen CE OS 5.2.19716 (Build 19716.1.0.0) from WM5, no problem.

SipConfigTool_2_0_1.CAB let me set up my VOIP account.

Found a couple versions of WM6VoIP.CAB, none did anything for me.

apparently there is some problem with CDMA phones and the "Today" plugin? I don't even know what that is, or how that affects VOIP functinoality, lol.

Anyway, problem is I don't see the "internet" tab on the PHONE settings screen. And it's not selectable from the DIAL screen. I've seen 1/2 dozen other posts about that too here, read them all, but no solutions were posted on any of them either.

I don't use this phone anymore, and my goal was to turn it into a WIFI VOIP phone. So will I blow it up if I flash it with, say, SPRINT as the carrier instead of BELL? So it gets a GSM style flash? Will that make the VOIP part work properly? Or brick my phone forever? :-(

Like I said, I've been messing with this for over 8 hours now. If anyone has some clues, I'd SURE appreciate it.

I've been meaning to play with this agan...maybe I'll do that this weekend.

You can flash sprint vs Bell and what not, but not a GSM instead of a CDMA (apache was only released as a CDMA version). No, it won't magically make it work.

RjG 08-30-2008 12:32 PM

Rats... and thanks ;-)

With $20/yr unlimited VOIP accounts available now, I REALLY wanted to make this work. Do you know what the actual problem is?

gguruusa 08-31-2008 12:14 AM

Last I heard, there wasn't a problem (other than interface shortcomings).

Buggy222 08-31-2008 03:55 PM

I tried several SIP vendors and only found one that worked for me on my 6800. Part of the problem is different voip's seem to use different terminology or settings that I didn't understand. I used Schap's SetupVOIP version 0.3 (found on the forum).

The provider that worked for me was InterVoip.
User Account = The name you pick without any @abce on it.
Password -= what you pick
Registrar address = sip.intervoip.com
Port = 5060 UDP (make sure this port is forwarded on your router)
Proxy address = same settings as registrar address
The URI address just appeared after I said DONE and then went back and checked it. What appeared was sip:username@sip.intervoip.com

There is an options tab where you say when it should use Voip.

When I went to my PHONE, with WiFi turned on and connected, instead of Sprint is said InterVoip.

I bought credit at their website and was able to dial my son and talk to his phone. Had to use plug in earpiece and mike. The number also had to be in an international format. For my son who has a San diego number, it was 001619xxxxxx where 619 was the area code.

I tried FonoSIP, Callcentric and DrayTEL without success. Maybe I could not get their SIP setting correct, so if someone has the answer, let me know.

At least I can confirm InterVoip worked on a Mogul 6800, at least with my home WiFi. I have yet to try it on another WiFi system.

Good luck

RjG 09-02-2008 01:58 PM

Thanks Buggy :-)

I'll give Schap's SetupVOIP a try today

RjG 09-02-2008 02:39 PM

I followed the directions on this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...;27s+SetupVOIP

I installed CUSTEL, then SetupVoIP_v0[1][1].3.zip , all ok.

but I'm stuck on NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.zip. When I try install that next, it says Installation Error. Stop all applications and processes, maximize available storage space, and run installation again. Support info: 3.

Did a hard reset of the phone, made sure nothing else was running, same thing.

The phone says Memory : Storage Free: 35.31 MB , Program Free : 21.82 MB

It doesn't dial out on Wifi without the last component installed, no option for it.

Any other hints? Sure would like the make this work ;-)

RjG 09-02-2008 03:12 PM

I looked what NETCFv35 is, it appears the kitchen already installed .NETCF3.5RTM, so I guess it's already there? So I guess now the problem is, the two progs are installed and I still don't get a VOIP or INTERNET option on either the phone tab, or in the dialer.

Ugh.

For my first crack at fooling around with my phone, this isn't going well.... :-(

sunny1974 09-02-2008 10:22 PM

hi guys, ive been using skype mobile on my ppc6700 for sum time now.and it works pretty good for me. i use a bluetooth handsfree and the sound is good too. i havnt integrated the phone contacts with that.. im not sure if it can be done. i even use my non evdo data for calling and often i get ok clarity..though its not as fast and is one way.. that is one pperson can talk at one time. using wifi shd clear that issue ..even evdo perhaps but thats not available on reliance in india. the data speeed on this is usually 100kbps-144kbps prob... which isnt that fast.
i had also tried a probram called mig33 which also worked good. for voice calling.
with skype i use a 3$ per month unlimited call US account. the will be no interface problems with skype.. though u ll have to keep it running on. i know ur prob looking for the integrated version through the phone dialer but this works goood for me.

RjG 09-03-2008 12:08 PM

I already have a VOIP account, and need to connect through WiFi

since my 6700 is permanently retired as a cell phone.

Thanks anyway though.

Kinda looks like it's heading back into the drawer again... too bad, I was hoping to put it back to good use :-)