PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ppc-6700

BCSavage is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Apache Kitchen with LennySH's 6.1 build 19588

it's actually SOOO simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambatte View Post
Q1: You will need BuildOS, aka "the kitchen". This is where you "cook" the customized ROM to your carrier specification and can add some additional programs. There are alot of versions and you can get the current in the stickies at the top of this upgrade subforum. I believe the ugraded LennySH is the most current.
Q2/3:You are flashing the ROM (=Read Only Memory), where the OS files reside. Flash (=update) and you use the RUU (ROM Update Utility) in the kitchen in conjunction with Activesync to transfer the ROM to the phone. Because of the kitchen, you can also place other programs as well. Because it is ROM, you can't change this file by file (e.g. like a PC OS upgrade). You have to reflash the entire ROM.
Q4: Not likely to brick although at times you may think it is. Take special note of your bootloader version (v2.05 is especially bad). Most problems arise with a ROM that is too big (e.g. you specified too many items while cooking) and you get stuck at various pre-boot stages on the phone. Just keep reading on all the problems and get an idea of the terminology so that you can describe it here. It has most likely been observed already so check the stickies in the main Apache forum. Check out the tutorials. Just do a search for "tutorial". Hope this helps.
taken from second last page of this thread

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7671

hope this helps you, it sure did for me.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:48 PM
The Source of Power
Pocket PC: EVO4G & EPIC4g
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Trident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to Trident

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSavage View Post
One problem, not on sprint :P I'm with Bell Canada. just logged into my homepage and I don't see anything about data usage. And I'm sure it's 4mb's. That's what the guy on the phone said when I activated. Told me 4mb equates to 200 200-word emails... but what about google maps and mobile browsing? :S If I have no way to keep track of usage then I don't want to use internet at all which defeats the purpose of buying this PPC.
Only if those emails are text only- they'll be larger if you send them as HTML.
I agree with you- with no way to keep track of usage and such a small data allowance, I wouldn't do much Google-ing, etc.
Did you just get the device recently?
What happens if you call BC and tell them that 4MB isn't acceptable for this device- how much more (if anything) is it to have a reasonable data allowance?

Old 07-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Lurker

BCSavage is a n00b

that depends on what your definition of "reasonable data allowance" is. I just went into google maps and found my house. That was 403kb. My wife was playing with google maps last night for longer than she should have now that I think about it :S Just installed SPB GPRS today so it's not going to show yesterdays usage (yesterday was when I got the phone). When I look at ym current features I have the following for "data"

Mobile email PDA 4MB Feat $25
ULT Browser for BB/PDAPrime $7 (unlimited mobile browsing?)

then the 1x data options gets ridonculous

$25/month for 4mb ($10/mb after)
$50/month for 10mb ($6/mb after)
$75/month for 40mb ($5/mb after)
$100/month 100mb ($1/mb after)
Old 07-05-2008, 09:09 PM
The Source of Power
Threadstarter

Trident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
that depends on what your definition of "reasonable data allowance" is. I just went into google maps and found my house. That was 403kb. My wife was playing with google maps last night for longer than she should have now that I think about it :S Just installed SPB GPRS today so it's not going to show yesterdays usage (yesterday was when I got the phone). When I look at ym current features I have the following for "data"

Mobile email PDA 4MB Feat $25
ULT Browser for BB/PDAPrime $7 (unlimited mobile browsing?)

then the 1x data options gets ridonculous

$25/month for 4mb ($10/mb after)
$50/month for 10mb ($6/mb after)
$75/month for 40mb ($5/mb after)
$100/month 100mb ($1/mb after)
Wow. That seems crazy expensive. Unless you're paying $32/month for Unlimited browsing+4MB of email. That wouldn't be totally crazy. I think Sprint charges less for data plans than most, but deals are out there.

Sprint charges around $25/mnth for unlimited data if it's not included in one of their new "unlimited" plans. But many people call CS and get it for less with a little complaining. I'd shop around and then call back BC and insinuate that you'd consider leaving them for someone who is more competitively priced.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Lurker

BCSavage is a n00b

yah prolly couldn't hurt to use the old brass on occasion. Though really, isn't loading a webpage while browsing technically kb's being downloaded to my device?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:52 AM
The Source of Power
Threadstarter

Quote:
yah prolly couldn't hurt to use the old brass on occasion. Though really, isn't loading a webpage while browsing technically kb's being downloaded to my device?

Yes it is, but they might differentiate between KB browsing and email. Although they can probably only tell if it's email if you are using their email server. Using Google or some other server probably still looks like browsing to them. If you have some sort of ultimate browsing package, you might be just fine letting the wife play with Google Maps as long as she wants!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Lurker

BCSavage is a n00b

The way I understand it I've got 4mb of email data and unlimited browsing. I'm sure that's how it got setup because before I swtitched from my rokr me and the wife had the fun 20 radio bundle which included unlimited browsing. The guy that set me up said I couldn't use the fun 20 with my 6700 but that for $7 I'd get that option. But, does google maps (the program, not going to it manually through the browser) qualify as "browsing"? Guess I'd have to ask Bell.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Lurker

BCSavage is a n00b

sorry I just realized I've taken this WAY off topic.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Lurker

BCSavage is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
I don't think that it's possible to selectively limit web browsing to WiFi only and still allow a regular data connection for email.
What you might be able to do is turn data off and on depending on when you are using email, but leave WiFi on all the time.
Of course, your battery consumption will be off the charts (I find that having the phone on and WiFi active dramatically increases battery consumption.)

so what if I go into connections and state that programs that auto connect to the internet do it through "my work" instead of cdma? Wouldn't that mean that unless my wifi network is being used, it won't be able to go online?
Old 07-07-2008, 02:54 AM
The Source of Power
Threadstarter

Quote:
so what if I go into connections and state that programs that auto connect to the internet do it through "my work" instead of cdma? Wouldn't that mean that unless my wifi network is being used, it won't be able to go online?
Don't really know.

Back OT.
I just tried flashing with this kitchen again... I'm really not finding one that's working reliably.
Everything starts getting really slow after a few days- especially the dialers.
Even my speed-dials start getting really slow. And it takes a long time to connect/dial after I press the green phone button.
But I still can't deal with not being able to see the contact information, so I'll have to try another kitchen... tomorrow.
But this is really slick- I really hope that it gets fixed so that it can be used reliably.
[nudge-nudge]

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development