PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   1ST WM6.1 ROM Update failed, stuck on boot screen, now what? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=27595)

shonn.burton 05-26-2008 01:34 AM

1ST WM6.1 ROM Update failed, stuck on boot screen, now what?

Please help! I ran through the WM6.1 Kitchen, added my options, cooked my ROM and updated. Now my phone boots to the muppet chef splash screen and hangs. Since the phone cannot connect to my PC in this state, I cannot run another ROM update. How do I recover from here?

-Shonn

PocketPcUser 05-26-2008 02:13 AM

Re: 1ST WM6.1 ROM Update failed, stuck on boot screen, now what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shonn.burton (Post 295337)
Please help! I ran through the WM6.1 Kitchen, added my options, cooked my ROM and updated. Now my phone boots to the muppet chef splash screen and hangs. Since the phone cannot connect to my PC in this state, I cannot run another ROM update. How do I recover from here?

-Shonn

Press the soft-keys again, to perform a hard-reset; then press the Record and Power in, and without letting go of those two keys, press the soft-reset port to put it into bootloader mode. Then, you will be able to flash another ROM. This might take a couple tries, but if you want more personalized assistance, you can PM me and I will help in finding the problem. Most likely, it was just one of the OEM's that caused the problem. I don't use my device, except for helping people here, and testing beta software, so I can be without it, for a while with no problem. This is not something that you can do as easily, if it is your only phone. Feel free to PM me.

Hauk 05-26-2008 02:18 AM

DO NOT REFLASH, this can be fixed easily, you need to take out your battery for 30 sec. then hard reset, then it will work.

EDIT: whoops didnt read the entire title, if the update failed then you will need to do as said in the above post, and did you unlock before u flashed?

PocketPcUser 05-26-2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hauk (Post 295361)
DO NOT REFLASH, this can be fixed easily, you need to take out your battery for 30 sec. then hard reset, then it will work.

I think that is incorrect; this sounds like the typical problem that happens, when an imcompatible OEM is added to the ROM. Of course feel free to do that before re-flashing, but I doubt that is the solution.
Either way, as long as it gets the user back to running again.

gguruusa 05-26-2008 08:06 AM

Stuck at splash is a bad ROM. 99% of the time from flashing too big a rom into a 1.04/2.04/2.05 bootloader system. 1st step is to reflash with a smaller rom.

No need to do the hard reset thing first...flash a smaller rom (put your phone in bootloader and you'll be able to flash), then do the hard reset, then boot it up.

shonn.burton 05-26-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketPcUser (Post 295354)
Press the soft-keys again, to perform a hard-reset; then press the Record and Power in, and without letting go of those two keys, press the soft-reset port to put it into bootloader mode. Then, you will be able to flash another ROM. This might take a couple tries, but if you want more personalized assistance, you can PM me and I will help in finding the problem. Most likely, it was just one of the OEM's that caused the problem. I don't use my device, except for helping people here, and testing beta software, so I can be without it, for a while with no problem. This is not something that you can do as easily, if it is your only phone. Feel free to PM me.

So let me clarify. The ROM flash did not fail. It said it flashed successfully. My problem is that it doesn't boot into the new ROM, it just hangs on the bootup screen. I did put mu phone in bootloader mode but when I tried to reflash it gave me a connection error. I will try all of the suggesiton posted here and post my results. Thanks for all the help!

shonn.burton 05-26-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gguruusa (Post 295449)
Stuck at splash is a bad ROM. 99% of the time from flashing too big a rom into a 1.04/2.04/2.05 bootloader system. 1st step is to reflash with a smaller rom.

No need to do the hard reset thing first...flash a smaller rom (put your phone in bootloader and you'll be able to flash), then do the hard reset, then boot it up.

I have bootloader 2.02 (not sure if that makes a difference). I did get a lot of failure messages when creating the ROM that said the image was too big. I went back and removed a lot of my selections and stuck with basic options and was able to create a ROM without getting the "too big" error. I went back and selected Helmi's project, which used a very small selection package but my computer does not see the device when it's in bootloader mode. I saved my configuration file if you want me to post it.

shonn.burton 05-26-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hauk (Post 295361)

EDIT: whoops didnt read the entire title, if the update failed then you will need to do as said in the above post, and did you unlock before u flashed?

This didn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestion though. I will try some of the other suggestions and see what happens.

shonn.burton 05-26-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketPcUser (Post 295354)

Ok, it worked this time! I'm back up and running. Thanks for the help!

PocketPcUser 05-26-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shonn.burton (Post 295550)
Ok, it worked this time! I'm back up and running. Thanks for the help!

So just putting the phone in bootloader mode, didn't work; but hard-reseting first, then bootloader mode did; is that right?