PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Lurker

rshepard is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
which bootloader is best? Currently Running 1.00

I'm running Bootloader 1.00 and I'm trying to determine which bootloader is best. I've seen threads talking about 2.02 be requested and used the most. I've also seen what appears to be issue with 2.05, but I cannot tell which one is best to have.

I just upgraded to WM6.1 with the newest kitchen and didn't have any issue, however it seems my Program Memory is a little low, which prompts this question. From what I've read the bootloader advances seem to change the memory allocations for the program and storage locations but I can't tell for certain.

AWESOME JOB on these Kitchens BTW GUYS!!! I've had my phone for 2 1/2 years now with Verizon and without these mods, this phone would be a BRICK. I remember the initial POS running on the 6700. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. YOU GUYS ROCK!

POS doesn't stand for Portable Operating System either.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: which bootloader is best? Currently Running 1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshepard View Post
I'm running Bootloader 1.00 and I'm trying to determine which bootloader is best. I've seen threads talking about 2.02 be requested and used the most. I've also seen what appears to be issue with 2.05, but I cannot tell which one is best to have.

I just upgraded to WM6.1 with the newest kitchen and didn't have any issue, however it seems my Program Memory is a little low, which prompts this question. From what I've read the bootloader advances seem to change the memory allocations for the program and storage locations but I can't tell for certain.
Changing bootloaders won't change your memory speed.
v1.xx is for G3 flash hardware
v2.xx is for G4 flash hardware

v1.00 has the biggest ROM partition, but lacks Vista compatibility in bootloader mode

v1.02/v2.02 are preferred because they can use either the standard bootloader or the NoID bootloader and are compatibile w/ Vista.

v1.04 uses the new bootloader.

v2.04/v2.05 use the new bootloader and have the smallest rom size.

As rom size goes down, program memory goes up.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

rshepard is a n00b

Thanks for the info.

I guess I'm still a little confused at to whether or not upgrading is an option, or even needed. It kinda sounds like your bootloader may be dependent upon the generation of the device, if I understand you properly. I simply feel odd having version 1.00 of anything.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Here's the way to decide:
If you have Vista or see anything newer than XP in your future, upgrade to v1.02.
If you lean toward lean ROMs, upgrade to v1.02.
otherwise, stay w/ v1.00.

You can never flash a 2.xx bootloader because you have G3 flash chips in your phone. There isn't any significant difference to you between G3 and G4, so don't feel like you are missing anything.

I still have v1.00 on my apache
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP

I have 1.00 and love it because I can squeeze just a LITTLE BIT MORE into the ROM

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

rshepard is a n00b

Thank you both! I don't feel left behind now.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development