PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: Verizon

aerospaced is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to aerospaced Send a message via Skype™ to aerospaced
A Linux version of the xv6700....

this is a repost, as I put it in a wrong forum. This would be nice to see though. I am brand new to this site today, that being said, I've banged code for over twenty years. I have a handle on operating systems basic operation and house keeping. I LOVE LINUX! What is required to make a linux version???? I have not gone to the kitchen yet, between homework and work, I stay busy. I'd be very interested in getting involved with creating a totally open source phone program based on linux. I do not have a clue on what all the team did to get these rom's ready, but I'd be happy to help after july 17th, 2008~ With linux, there is no question over ownership. I write linux for arm processors imbedded linux. I have no clue over the overhead of the phone, it would be nice though.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6700
Carrier: Sprint

ran-o-matic is a n00b
Re: A Linux version of the xv6700....

I gave up on this a while ago. There just isn't enough info made public to run the hardware - the radio in particular. Maybe you will have the luck (and skill) to crack the code. See:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...gename=Xanadux
Old 05-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Nexus 5x
Carrier: Republic Wireless

jabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jabu Send a message via MSN to jabu Send a message via Yahoo to jabu Send a message via Skype™ to jabu

Ubuntu is working on a mobile project. I couldn't find much info on it, but it looks interesting.
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile
Need your Apache OEM ROM? Get it here!
========================================
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Almost a VIP

jabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jabu Send a message via MSN to jabu Send a message via Yahoo to jabu Send a message via Skype™ to jabu

Here is some good linux for apache info:
http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/HTCApache
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Almost a VIP

So I have the linux build from handhelds.org and I am waiting for Ubuntu Mobile to finish DL. I don't know crap about developing linux. How do I take the drivers and radio/phone stack from hanhelds.org and dump it into Ubuntu? I'm sure someone will finish this before me, but I want to learn how to do this stuff so I can contribute to the community.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: VZW

mikeklemz is becoming a great contributor

I also would like to contribute to this project, but I have no relevant experience other than using linux for a few years. Let me know if there's any "mindless gruntwork" that needs to be done.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

frenchie is a n00b

Honestly the biggest problem with mobile Linux projects is the lack of experienced kernel hackers and developers. Anyone can troubleshot or run "grunt work".

I've seen the project before and It's progress has been stagnant for a couple of years.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: VZW

mikeklemz is becoming a great contributor

Hey Frenchie, my comment was directed at the OP, not you. If I wanted negativity from someone with the handle of Frenchie I would have brought up the war.

I have seen this project for a while, and while it has been stagnant, have you actually loaded up the kernel via HaRET? Are you some hardcore kernel hacker or an electronics salesman at Sears? I really doubt you're both.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:02 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: StraightTalk

glitchbit is a n00b

I have Linux running on an Asus a620 windows mobile 2003... someone else made it, so I flashed it on my Asus. I offered to give it to a mod here who had sounded interested in working up some linux for the 6700, but he has not responded to my emails or pm's... seems even those that have the ability just don't really care. And yea linux on these things would suck anyways until programs come out.

Only after Android comes out and must have programs get released will we see any interest at all.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Almost a VIP

So is there a way to take the linux drivers from one build and dump them into a different distro?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development