PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Kitchen Crew -- Cooking ROM Changes SPC Code (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24596)

Verix 04-21-2008 09:40 PM

Kitchen Crew -- Cooking ROM Changes SPC Code

I'm currently a PCS Technician for a small carrier that has the PPC6700, and recently released the PPC6800.

The 6700, as we all know, comes with WM5. I decided to update to the Kitchen WM6.1. I went back the next day, only to see that the SPC code on my phone has changed. Then, I realized the SPC code is set by the carrier software. So, I reloaded my handset with our carrier software, but it's still not able to be unlocked for programming.

Now, I don't care that I can't unlock it, because being a technician, it's technically my job to screw up a phone, and try to figure out the problem.

However, you might want to make everyone aware, BY UPDATING TO THE LATEST KITCHEN WM6.1, YOU ARE RISKING NOT BEING ABLE TO PROGRAM YOUR PHONE IN THE FUTURE. Now, don't get me wrong, I love WM6.1 and the Kitchen in general, and I would use it on my personal phone, as I have no reason to have to reprogram my handset. But, if you're looking to do a number change at a future date, you do NOT want to cook your ROM.

If anyone has any questions that are within my control, and for testing on the PPC6700, I'll see what I can do. As mentioned, I'm a technician, and have access to hundreds of them for complete termination. :headbang:

colonel 04-21-2008 09:50 PM

Re: Kitchen Crew -- Cooking ROM Changes SPC Code

Hmmm, this is odd. However, what carrier did you choose when you built?

Verix 04-21-2008 10:01 PM

I used the Generic.

gguruusa 04-21-2008 11:28 PM

What bootloader was on the phone you flashed, and what was the final ROM size you flashed (or provide the selections.txt and any files not part of the standard kitchen, please)

Verix 04-22-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gguruusa (Post 256190)
What bootloader was on the phone you flashed, and what was the final ROM size you flashed (or provide the selections.txt and any files not part of the standard kitchen, please)

I'm not around the PC that I loaded the ROM with, so I'll do my best. The bootloader version is v2.02. The ROM was a very base ROM, only including HTC and Microsoft software. (Only the software and applications that had HTC or Microsoft as the OEM Author.)

Maxx134 04-22-2008 11:49 AM

I am not around my laptop, but I have just got a refurb unit and so I didn't know or bothered to ask for my spc number.

I just went to settings/system/device info to get my ESN number(which was still the same), and then used "getspc" program posted in 6800 threads to get my spc to gain access to the radio settings where I updated my "PRL"

So what happened to first poster may or may not happen to you, it does not matter as you can get your "spc" anyway, and I just can't believe a rom can alter the radio settings. The radio upgrade is a separate entity. It should be impossible.
Sorry, I don't be...
EDIT: sory don't want to com off being harsh, but could you have mixed them up, having access to so many 6700s?

Verix 04-22-2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxx134 (Post 256516)
I am not around my laptop, but I have just got a refurb unit and so I didn't know or bothered to ask for my spc number.

I just went to settings/system/device info to get my ESN number(which was still the same), and then used "getspc" program posted in 6800 threads to get my spc to gain access to the radio settings where I updated my "PRL"

So what happened to first poster may or may not happen to you, it does not matter as you can get your "spc" anyway, and I just can't believe a rom can alter the radio settings. The radio upgrade is a separate entity. It should be impossible.
Sorry, I don't be...
EDIT: sory don't want to com off being harsh, but could you have mixed them up, having access to so many 6700s?

No, I completely understand what you're saying, and that's why I'm baffled aswell. I use one at a time, and if I like the phone I'm using, I stick with it for awhile.

The only thing I changed was the OS ROM.

gguruusa 04-22-2008 03:06 PM

We've discussed it internally, and it's not possible for it to be a kitchen made OS ROM for bl 2.02 causing your problem. If it is, then it is also true of stock OS ROMs. Most likely, it's your carrier's customization files - which can have effects such as you describe.

Verix 04-22-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gguruusa (Post 256719)
We've discussed it internally, and it's not possible for it to be a kitchen made OS ROM for bl 2.02 causing your problem. If it is, then it is also true of stock OS ROMs. Most likely, it's your carrier's customization files - which can have effects such as you describe.

My carrier customization files wouldn't change the SPC from what it was originally, unless I've changed the carrier customization file. The customization file has stayed the exact same.

Infact, after reading your post, I decided to reload the cooked ROM onto another 6700, and before the customization files could load, I reset the device. By doing that, it doesn't allow the customizations to run.

I still am not able to access programming.

I have changed nothing on the handset, EXCEPT the O/S ROM, which was cooked using PPCKitchen.

I can reload the stock WM5 on any device, and it'll still allow me to access programming.

I'm not trying to be a hardass, but only trying to better an already amazing product.

colonel 04-22-2008 04:00 PM

I guess I am confused on what you mean by it does not allow access for programming. Are you trying ## codes? Are you running the apps directly and which apps? Perhaps a step by step of what you are seeing would help. Also, what carrier do you work for and what all do you have to change to get the phone to work on the carrier?