PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

mlevin77 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
cooking WM6.0 kitchen: include Resco Explorer or not?

Software that goes into ROM, does it save me memory (as opposed to installing it afterwards)? I'm trying to decide with respect to Resco Explorer. I own a copy, and I don't know whether to include the older version (that exists in the kitchen) into the ROM (and thus save memory?) or to not include it and simply install the latest version afterwards. Any opinions? Will it run faster from ROM, or be more stable, etc.?

Mike
Old 04-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible

gambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: cooking WM6.0 kitchen: include Resco Explorer or not?

Looks like you are making progress. My advice is leave out the older version during cooking. Not sure but your new version would probably overwrite the older version when you installed it, if you take the option to install to device. So probably not a huge memory difference one way or the other. Not sure how that software works if installed to SD. If it works on SD, the whole point is to conserve space on the space precious ROM. It will run better on the ROM IF YOU HAVE THE SPACE!

If you post to the other forum, weedahoe, there has it running and can give you better advice.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:23 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: 6700

Verix is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambatte View Post
Looks like you are making progress. My advice is leave out the older version during cooking. Not sure but your new version would probably overwrite the older version when you installed it, if you take the option to install to device. So probably not a huge memory difference one way or the other. Not sure how that software works if installed to SD. If it works on SD, the whole point is to conserve space on the space precious ROM. It will run better on the ROM IF YOU HAVE THE SPACE!

If you post to the other forum, weedahoe, there has it running and can give you better advice.
Well, you are pretty much wrong, to be blunt.

When you cook a new ROM, and include a program, such as Resco, you're cooking it to the O/S ROM. You can't uninstall it or update it. For example, you add Resco to your ROM, then you try to install a newer version of Resco, you'll now have two different Resco installs; one in your ROM and one as a standalone program.

My advice is to make a completely bone stock ROM, and add the standalone programs later, as you'll be able to upgrade them without having to cook another ROM.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Looks like you are making progress.
Thanks everyone, and especially gambatte for all the encouragement to get me to this point. Yes, I'm making progress - I appear to have cooked a ROM; now, do I dare flash my phone, and find out if the result is as stable as the phoenx06 ROM, and whether it now lets me wake up the phone by pushing the button on my BT headset...
Old 04-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker

gambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verix View Post
When you cook a new ROM, and include a program, such as Resco, you're cooking it to the O/S ROM. You can't uninstall it or update it. For example, you add Resco to your ROM, then you try to install a newer version of Resco, you'll now have two different Resco installs; one in your ROM and one as a standalone program.
Well, I was only going from my experience with Live Search. I cooked it to my WM6 ROM and was having trouble with it so I wanted to uninstall. Yes, it was in ROM so there was no option to uninstall. Well, an update came through and I installed it. Well, the next time I looked, the option was there to uninstall it. So, I don't REALLY know what happened. When I did uninstall it, it was removed from my Programs. I assumed it was gone from my system. There were some orphaned folders and such but I thought it was just being Windowish. If this did not happen, I would definitely agree that OS stuff can't be removed, e.g. I can't uninstall the Office apps, which are tied to the OS.

OK, so I'm doing my weekly reading and see this post:

Quote:
Also I had a question for you my dad wanted answered- When you have the Rom cooked and the PPC up and running can you delete any of the programs you added before flashing OR are they technically preinstalled software and can only be changed my flashing again?
You cannot delete them, all you can do is delete there shortcut so they don't show up but they will still be there. I is so esy to cook up another ROM with changes that you can do it 2-3 times a day if you want to test. I cooked about 25 in 2 weeks just to play and find the programs I liked most. If you use the OEMizer and active sync you can hard reset or cook and have your phone back to exactly the way it was before you hard reset it.
Quote:
And, do those preinstalled programs get stored in the program files folder OR Windows Root directory?
The ROM is actually by itself. It is an alloted amount of space for your OS and programs that are preinstalled. <---- Bad description probably but basically if you don't use the space it can't be used later. Stuff your ROM with all you can because this memory space cannot be used for anything else. It cannot be added to or taken away from after you flash. Hope that makes sense.
Quote:
One more thing..Lets say I install RObMayers Rom, and I find it too OEM like How in the world can I add more programs from the cooking PPCGeeks program with all of the extras that are there as options? How would I do that because I remember when I loaded the Apache helmi's kitchen, and if you checked too many programs you get an error stating I overshot the Rom... I have searched but haven't found the correct answer, or it's there and it's too technical to understand. I remember something about saving to OEM Folder but I don't get it.
This is going to be trial and error for you. I like the kitchen and feel it is the only way to go. Some like for others to do the work for them and they just flash. IMO this process has been made so easy, thanks to the devs here, that you can do it yourself. You can pick your programs and flash your own ROM in 15-30 minutes once you get used to it. As far as the error goes, add items then build if you get the error take a few things out and give it another go. Just trial and error, but very easy to do.

So I'm rethinking my advice and stuff it as full as you can get it since it can't be used for anything else. I had a different conception of the ROM completely. Again, always learning....

Last edited by gambatte; 04-20-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin77 View Post
now, do I dare flash my phone, and find out if the result is as stable as the phoenx06 ROM, and whether it now lets me wake up the phone by pushing the button on my BT headset...
Go for it. I'm happy with mine. Did you opt for the Cyberon, MSVC, or both??
Old 04-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Go for it. I'm happy with mine. Did you opt for the Cyberon, MSVC, or both??
ok, just did it. Whew - no brick!! So far, I see:

1) a bit slower to boot (sits on 2nd splashscreen longer than the phoenx06's ROM did)
2) OEMizer stuff worked perfectly - immediate connection to my exchange server. Cool! I wish there were more options there (LAN, VPN, connect schedule for emails, etc. etc.). Is anyone working on expanding the OEMizer list?
3) doesn't get stuck and freeze in the middle of downloading calendar entries from my exchange server like the other ROM did. Very good!
4) I'm not understanding how the close button works. I like the one that was on the phoenx06 ROM - I'll have to find and install separately.

5) for voice control, I chose Cyberon, which I like very much. Now, I have to figure out how to make it start up after my BT headset button press. I've paired them, and phone calls work through the headset fine, when initiated on the phone. When I press the button, I do hear a beep in my ear, which I didn't with the previous ROM, so I think I'm further ahead here. But I don't hear the "please say command" of Cyberon through my BT headset - Cyberon doesn't start up at all. It must be trying to start up something else. I'll need to find out which registry key specifies the .exe file to be launched when the button is pressed and try it.

That's it so far - I'll keep testing.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin77 View Post
2) OEMizer stuff worked perfectly - immediate connection to my exchange server. Cool! I wish there were more options there (LAN, VPN, connect schedule for emails, etc. etc.). Is anyone working on expanding the OEMizer list?
4) I'm not understanding how the close button works. I like the one that was on the phoenx06 ROM - I'll have to find and install separately.
5) for voice control, I chose Cyberon, which I like very much. Now, I have to figure out how to make it start up after my BT headset button press. I've paired them, and phone calls work through the headset fine, when initiated on the phone. When I press the button, I do hear a beep in my ear, which I didn't with the previous ROM, so I think I'm further ahead here. But I don't hear the "please say command" of Cyberon through my BT headset - Cyberon doesn't start up at all. It must be trying to start up something else. I'll need to find out which registry key specifies the .exe file to be launched when the button is pressed and try it.
I had my fingers x-ed too. LOL. #2 What is that OEMizer thing do? That's the second time I saw it today. #4 Not sure what you meant; Task manager? Did you pick the WKTask? #5 I thought that you had experience with this Cyberon with the stock WM5 b4 you upgraded. There were a few notification config options, e.g. "announce through headset when available" when I opened the MSVC program.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

>I had my fingers x-ed too. LOL. #2 What is that OEMizer thing do? That's the second
> time I saw it today.

it's pretty cool. If I'm using it correctly, it allows you to set some (but not all) of the "Settings" that one customizes on a new ROM. It's nice because after a hard reset, you don't have to set everything each time. I wish it had more of the options, but it's already quite nice.

>#5 I thought that you had experience with this Cyberon with the stock WM5 b4 you
> upgraded. There were a few notification config options, e.g. "announce through headset
> when available" when I opened the MSVC program.[/QUOTE]

yeah I did, but the installation took care of that for me in the stock WM5. I do remember there was a registry key for this that could be tweaked manually. I just have to find it...

Mike

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development