PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: xv6700>XV6800
Carrier: Vz

valvecrusher is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up going from 6.1 back to 6.0

Hey.
I'm a noob
(welcome noob)

Ok, now that's done.
I've been lurking here for a month, reading up on 6700/6800..
well i bought the 6700, with WM5.0 two weeks ago.

I've been reading cooking, kitchens and ROMs for weeks, and i finally used PPCKitchens 6.1 file, with Helmi's selections.txt.

Now, did i do good or bad?
I was wanting the following..
IPOD themes, flick and scroll, the launcher icons? like IPOD...
(basically the things on youtube, that makes your PPC look like and act like an IPOD)
a vid and music player...
to be able to watch youtube online..
Pocket NES or SNES
chess/ mspacman/
and the newer Wifi settings

I was looking for the big Time on the main screen with weather icons..etc

But I'm not sure if i've got that, and just can't use it, or if i don't have it.

My main question is...
how do i go from the "buggy" 6.1, to the more refined 6.0?
I've read on here that downgrading some things will brick your 6700..

What do i need to do?
What files(and where) do i need for the pocketNES/SNES games..

And how do i set up my icons?

Thanks from the nooest noob.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: xv6700>XV6800
Carrier: Vz
Threadstarter

valvecrusher is a n00b
Re: going from 6.1 back to 6.0

My problem with 6.1 is that it locks up on the Window 6.1 screen..
says Owner's info....
and freezes...

After a hard reset, it runs ok...then crashes again..

I guess I need someone to walk me into a ROM that will do what i want..
it's pretty simple...
for them, not for me.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:53 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: VZW

bitbrat is just getting started

You know I don't think you're the only one with a problem - there are all these posts where everyone says they are so happy, and it's working great, and they give props to the guys - and this is all good - I am way thankful for everything I have ever learned on this site, HOWEVER,

I get treated like I must be some n00by idiot, because I am insisting that I have a problem with the new 6.1 BuildOS and the ROMs it builds - it doesn't matter how many times and how many different combinations, but I still get a ROM that locks up, a phone that won't wake from sleep, and random features that just don't work, not to mention the threaded SMS that si so slow i can't imagine anyone wanting to use it - so clearly there are some 6700s that are not the same.

I am not some dumb n00b, I used to build/rebuild notebook PCs, now i work mainly on lasers and automated lighting systems and their controllers - so i am a techie - claerly we are stuck together in the minority - best of luck.

BTW If anyone ahs any thoughts about this, feel free to chime in - I am very frustrated right now, as I am sure valvecrusher is too....

<edit> you know, just hold that thought... I am taking colonel's advice and flashing back to stock to see if that helps at all.... I'll update you

AJ

Last edited by bitbrat; 04-05-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:36 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC PPC6700

echothreezero is a n00b

I think it has something to do with the particular combination of features you add in Build OS, pluscarrier infoe, etc. I also had problems with 6.1 - it is still cutting edge and some of us are getting cut.

I don't really know what the fuss with 6.1 is anyway. The threaded sms apps you can get for 6 are much better than the built in 6.1 sms and the old buildOS is pretty damn good.

If it doesn't work for you, run a 6.0 build nad wait for a newer version with some of the bugs fixed.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

frenchie is a n00b

I had a ton of problems with my first flash of 6.1. It had lock ups, a minute and a half restart time, and it would not turn on sometimes. I backed up my data and cleared the little bugger. I flashed 6.1 again and I have had no problems running at all!

I sometimes think that the flashes may be the cause of some of the problems. Maybe it's just me but then again maybe not all of the flashes are the same...
Old 04-05-2008, 03:24 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: VZW

bitbrat is just getting started

yeah, well clearly I am still having problems, I have flashed to stock, and it is giving me grief too - still liasing with the colonel on this.....
Old 04-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

tjdavis is a n00b
Smile Re: going from 6.1 back to 6.0

The main things that tend to cause my ROMS to lock my phone up are the today screen add ins. I always have problems with them. I want many of the features they have, but in the end I usually have to remove them because of phone lock ups or fast battery drain. It's been trial and error for me. I don't think its a problem so much with the ROM, but with the applications and the xv6700 itself. I have friends that have the sprint version of the 6800 and it is much smoother than 6700. I have sent 2 xv6700's back to Verizon since I purchased it and have gotten refurbs back. I will never go back to the original ROM. It seems much buggier to me than any of the new ROMs. My only suggestion is to limit what you include in your ROM build to only those things that are absolutely necessary, especially today screen add ins. I have also had problems with Navigon (eats battery power), Windows Live Search, Google Maps, and most of the HTC today screen apps. Without these I have managed to keep a fairly lockup free xv6700 running. Hope that helps.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/TouchPro2
Carrier: T-Mo

reeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuff

I'm using 6.1 right now with absolutely no problems at all.

Ill include my selection.txt file. Just load that in the new kitchen and see what happens. I like to keep the roms as small as possible. You could load mine in then add or take a away a few programs. Just remember what ones so that if it happens again you might be able to isolate the problem.
Also you might have to adjust the settings at the top of the window for bootloader version, carrier, etc.
Most likely is gonna throw an error about not having the boot screens there too. Just exit or ok that message. Should continue after that with no problems.

The big clock on the screen is called HTC Home just check the latest version. Should already be checked though. As far as the ipod stuff you might want to check out HTC audio manager. However the audio manager hasnt worked for me in 6.1 so Im out of ideas. There are some audio managers that look like an ipod the screen but I cant think of the name.

I actually included the boot screens I use in the zip folder. Just unzip then put those images in the right splash screen folders. Black Serial goes in 240x320 and Windows Loading goes in the 320x320 folder. Do that before you start the kitchen and pick the selections text.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Selections etc..zip (79.0 KB, 44 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by reeg420; 04-05-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vogue
Carrier: sprint

zfactor is a n00b

running 6.1 with 0 issues at all here.. runs perfect. had a couple issues re-flashed and all has been perfect
Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6700

vdecas is a n00b

I´m using 6.1 and don't have problems, the only issue is the battery lasting, any comment about how much your battery last?

Regards,
Victor

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development