PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 01:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

spetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Activesync Issue and WM 6.1 Kitchen

I searched the forum and found some references to the problem I am having with AS4.5 in the original WM6 kitchen. I am now using the WM 6.1 kitchen and after a build I cannot get my device to connect to AS. I get a "unknown device" error and it does not connect. I end up having to reboot my PC in order to get it to connect. This is annoying.

Do I need to modify my config?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-01-2008, 01:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

tcbusch is halfway to VIP status based on reptcbusch is halfway to VIP status based on reptcbusch is halfway to VIP status based on reptcbusch is halfway to VIP status based on reptcbusch is halfway to VIP status based on reptcbusch is halfway to VIP status based on reptcbusch is halfway to VIP status based on reptcbusch is halfway to VIP status based on reptcbusch is halfway to VIP status based on reptcbusch is halfway to VIP status based on reptcbusch is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Activesync Issue and WM 6.1 Kitchen

I have run into several issues with selecting to Sync Favorites. I would try deleting the mobile device in your activesync. On your phone open active sync, select menu then options and delete your Windows PC. Now reconnect your cable and ActiveSnyc will ask you what you want to Sync. Do not select Favorites. Select whatever else you want.

Let me know if this works, I think the mobile favorites feature is buggy.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

alabij is a n00b

ActiveStink is an amazing program. I could go on and on about its flaws, however try this simple troubleshooting tip. Plug the USB to another USB port preferable one directly attached to the motherboard. Most connection issues are usually USB port based, not enough power etc.

ActiveStink also has a serious problem when syncing favs in folders. Avoiding folders will eliminate the annoying total deletion of favorites.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Lurker

cyotee is a n00b

Whenever I have run into this issue it usually ends up being a connectivity issue. Weather its the cradle going bad or usb port on a laptop docking station and the laptop is not properly seated in the docking station. I'm not sure if you have tried to connect with just the usb cable only and not use the cradle. If you haven't try it. If that works with just a cable, its a bad cradle. Also, if you use a laptop and a docking station, with the usb cable stuck into a usb port on the docking station, try re-seating the laptop into the docking station, sometime a weak connection in the docking station screws it all up.

However, it might be something to do with your activestink software. Have you tried uninstalling the software, remembering to delete the leftover subdirectory in Program files directory? I don't know if deleting the directory contributes anything to making it work better, It worked once so I do that all the time now. It never hurts to be superstitious. Then reinstall activestink, and see what happens.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:37 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

spetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuff

I have an IBM X40 laptop with an Ultrabase docking station. I have a 4 port USB hub off the USB 2.0 port on the laptop, and I am connecting the 6700 to one of the three USB ports on the Ultrabase docking station. I am connecting via cable and not with a cradle.

I would love to connect the hub to the USB ports on the Ultrabase, but they are not USB 2.0. Should I try connecting the 6700 to the USB 2.0 port on the laptop directly?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

You should connect to the laptop directly. It does not matter if you use the cradle or a cable.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon

Gervy is a n00b
Activesync Issue ---> SOLUTION !!! (Well... work around).

Here is the work-around for the Active-Sync issue.
It's a pain in the azz, but until Microsoft improves Active-Sync, it's your only solution.

When you get the Active-Sync connection error (or when the PC doesn't recognize your phone):
1) Un-cradle the phone
2) Manually open the Active-Sync program (it will say not connected)
3) Open Task-Manager on your PC (Control+Alt+Delete, then select Task Manager)
4) Go to the Processes tab, highlight "WCESMgr.exe", and click on END PROCESS
5) Re-cradle phone

You need to do this through Task Manager. Merely closing Active-Sync will still leave the process running in the background.

This process should work. Sometimes I still get the UNKNOWN USB device error, and after 30-60 seconds, my PC rediscovers the phone and opens Active-Sync.

I know it's a pain, but it's better than constanly switching USB ports or rebooting the PC.

GERVY

--------------
Verizon Droid Eris
Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I found directly connecting my 6700 to the USB port on the laptop did the trick. I was connecting it to the USB hub on the docking station, and that seemed to be giving me the issues. No more issues here.

Steve
Old 04-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff

I had to do this: Under Settings, System, USB to PC, uncheck the "Enable advanced network functionality".

Now if I can just get the file transfers working in Vista... (Large file transfers hang the Activesync on the device on my Vista laptop... The XP laptop works great... Seems to be a serial driver issue between the 6700 and Vista's Mobile Device Center 6.1...)
Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker

fitbryan is a n00b
Re: Activesync Issue ---> SOLUTION !!! (Well... work around).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gervy View Post
Here is the work-around for the Active-Sync issue.
It's a pain in the azz, but until Microsoft improves Active-Sync, it's your only solution.

When you get the Active-Sync connection error (or when the PC doesn't recognize your phone):
1) Un-cradle the phone
2) Manually open the Active-Sync program (it will say not connected)
3) Open Task-Manager on your PC (Control+Alt+Delete, then select Task Manager)
4) Go to the Processes tab, highlight "WCESMgr.exe", and click on END PROCESS
5) Re-cradle phone

You need to do this through Task Manager. Merely closing Active-Sync will still leave the process running in the background.

This process should work. Sometimes I still get the UNKNOWN USB device error, and after 30-60 seconds, my PC rediscovers the phone and opens Active-Sync.

I know it's a pain, but it's better than constanly switching USB ports or rebooting the PC.

GERVY
Outstanding thank you. It works! I was able to file transfer via explorer but no syncing. Voila back in action.

Get this stickied or something?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development