PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700

jeffneely is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So, is bootloader 2.05 a problem?

Ok, so I just got a replacement xv6700 from Asurion and it has bootloader v2.05. I've scoured a number of threads on here about using the kitchen and I'm just not confident that I understand whether this bootloader will cause a problem for me.

Since a number of people are starting to get replacements or new units with this bootloader, it might eliminate duplicate questions if we put all of the answers here in one place. To that end:

1) Will the kitchen work with bootloader 2.05?

2) What options must be selected in the kitchen for bootloader 2.05?

3) Why are some people interested in downgrading to bootloader 2.02 (which sounds a bit more complicated and potentially dangerous)?

Thanks, all!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

frenchie is a n00b
Re: So, is bootloader 2.05 a problem?

I see no one has answered your question so I will take a jab at it. Anyone with more knowledge please feel free to correct me

1. No

2. There aren't any.

3. Only if you pull the cable out during the upgrade process

From what I have read the 2.05 bootloader changes the partition size of the EXT rom so you have more program space. This is good which gives you a couple more megabytes of program memory but most kitchens choke on this. Personally the downgrade procedure is not that difficult and scary. I'd recommend you do it.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:52 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: VZW 6850
Carrier: VZW

BigDASH is a n00b

I second I recently had to take my phone back to VZW. and I got a new phone with the 2.05 boot loader and man oh man what a difference... The phone is oh so much more stable with all the crap I put on and off... I have flashed with the latest WM6 build and have had absolutely no problems what so ever.

When you run the kitchen there are a series of drop down on the top of the screen... One of them will say standard (default) you need to drop down and change it to read "x.04+" right next to that should be the drop down for your carrier. (just for a landmark)
Old 03-08-2008, 10:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

frenchie is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDASH View Post
I second I recently had to take my phone back to VZW. and I got a new phone with the 2.05 boot loader and man oh man what a difference... The phone is oh so much more stable with all the crap I put on and off... I have flashed with the latest WM6 build and have had absolutely no problems what so ever.

When you run the kitchen there are a series of drop down on the top of the screen... One of them will say standard (default) you need to drop down and change it to read "x.04+" right next to that should be the drop down for your carrier. (just for a landmark)

Interesting, when I tried to flash with the 2.05 bootloader i did the same thing . I used the x.04+ option and I got an error when I tried to flash.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: VZW 6850
Carrier: VZW

BigDASH is a n00b

What was the error you received? Mind you i have VZW. Did you remember to select your carrier? and remember to take out your SD card.

I also have a co worker who has the 6700 from VZW and the 2.05 boot loader as I do and I flashed his phone a like 5 times last friday.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Yes the kitchen works with 1.04/2.04/2.05.

You have to select x.04+ for the RUU.

The reason for downgrading is the IMGFS partition was shrunk in 2.04/2.05, which means less space to cook your own stuff in. If you're a C&S person, this is a good thing.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jeffneely is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
The reason for downgrading is the IMGFS partition was shrunk in 2.04/2.05, which means less space to cook your own stuff in. If you're a C&S person, this is a good thing.
Thanks for the reply, gguruusa.

Is the IMGFS partition the primary ROM file storage partition? Where the Windows O/S software is installed?

Where did the extra space go? Do we know how much space was lost? Was it added to another partition? And is all of the ROM space just treated as a single pool that is partitioned as needed?

Lastly, what is a C&S person?
Old 03-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....
Carrier: Sprint

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff

Basically what they did was reduce the Imgfs partition and free up more space for the storage partition for the end user. There has always been extra space in the Imgfs and this is what we exploit when we put more stuff in a rom.

However, the carriers figured they could shave some of this space and create more for the end user since they are not concerned with trying to get more into that partition.

I believe it is only a couple MB. Perhaps some people can post their Total Storage Memory stats for various bootloaders. With 2.02 bootloader I have 40.23MB Total storage.

C&S is clean and simple or drab and boring. :P

Also, these are just assumptions based on observations. They may have had a completely different motive for changing the partitions.

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Old 03-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jeffneely is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
I believe it is only a couple MB. Perhaps some people can post their Total Storage Memory stats for various bootloaders. With 2.02 bootloader I have 40.23MB Total storage.
Thanks, Colonel.

With the 2.05 bootloader, I have 43.50MB Total storage. So, a delta of 3.27MB.

So, this means that with 2.05 you have 3.27MB less space for your cooked ROM, but you also have 3.27MB more file storage space that could be used to install software afterward. is this correct?
Old 03-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....
Carrier: Sprint

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff

yup, that is it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development