PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

richjolliff is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking Sprint Blackberry 8830 or souped-up ppc

I have had my 6700 for almost 18 months. It is totally souped-up with W6. I have been looking at the blackberry for a while, and am really tempted by it's cdma/world gsm capabillities. I don't know that much about blackberry. Any insights. Comparisons.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium

rxb216 is just getting started
PPC = tons of cool software availible
Java Based OS = no cool software

Looks like 8830 is same EVDO speeds as 6700 and does not support HSDPA when on a GSM network...
Old 01-24-2008, 04:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC 6800

smassele is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to smassele
I have had both blackberrys and windows mobile phonesas well as palms...and if all you have had is windows mobile then you need t know that blackberry operating system is a whole nother universe compared to windows mobile so if you don't like change you won't like the blackberry, and the world capabilities are only gonna be nice if you you travel abroad...well?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

richjolliff is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by smassele View Post
I have had both blackberrys and windows mobile phonesas well as palms...and if all you have had is windows mobile then you need t know that blackberry operating system is a whole nother universe compared to windows mobile so if you don't like change you won't like the blackberry, and the world capabilities are only gonna be nice if you you travel abroad...well?
I do travel abroad and find it frustrating when my phone won't work. Some countries it does, because they use cdma. Others don't. I am gsm clueless. What is HSDPA?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My friend has the new blackberry ,
I love the lighted ball in the middle, much better than our center button.
He has no extra apps.
He has no internet sharing.
He needs to use a blackberry program and use his phone as modem on T-mobile network.
His connection is slow and he has problems getting phone to connect as modem.
His solution so far is to take the battery out.
The screen seems higher resolution but it is smaller.
He still likes his blackberry but misses his verizon 6700.
I see no advantage but that lighted track ball in the middle
Old 01-25-2008, 10:36 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

richjolliff is a n00b
These ar great in helping me decide. Does anyone know if cdma is spreading globally, like to Europe? I have heard it is the better technology.
I also am curious, is it true that several of the things I can do for free on ppc, cost on the blackberry? Like tethering, and push email.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:36 PM
jrs
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

jrs is a n00b
I used an xv6700 with wm6 for a long time and that was (and still is) lots of fun to download apps and do all kinds of entertaining stuff with, but i graduated to a BB 8130. I still have the net, RSS feeds, text, and camera. But in addition, I have a much more reliable BT and email system, much smaller footprint (carry it in my shirt pocket - it is very light) and although not as robust, you'd be surprised at the thrd party software that is coming out.

In short, it does what I need without the bloat, and its for the more serious user (thus the word "graduated").

OK - I'm ready for the flaming!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Apache/ BB Torch
Carrier: Verizon/AT&T

Papagolf is a n00b
have you considered the samsung i830 (i think) it is a verizon WM5 CDMA/GSM world phone. a couple of guys at work have them and thjnk pretty highly of them.. I think it has wifi too.... I have a 6700 and i skype over wifi when i hop the ponds. granted you cant recieve calls unless your at a hot spot but for 4 dollars a minute(africa) they can leave a voice mail and ill call them back on skype.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development