PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 08:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

Fresh2Death is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Fresh2Death Send a message via Yahoo to Fresh2Death
?? PagePool ??

i want to further my understanding of what exactly it is that the page pool does when cooking your own rom. how high, how low, those sort of things. ive been hunting around and cant seem to pull anything explaining exactly what it does. can anyone help break this down for me.
previous owned phones - Apache 6700, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, Nexus One - current phone in use : Nexus One
Old 01-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
7 is the default for the current kitchen.

Pagepool is a cache for executing programs (the ones that are actually running). Think of it as additional memory for your running programs.

The larger pagepool is, the more crap you can have actively running. The smaller pagepool is, the more storage memory you have (storage is the area where programs are installed).

The general idea is to make it as small as you can without having any problems (slowness or crashing), because too big is a waste of valuable storage memory. Unfortunately, that magic sweet spot is dependent on how you use your PPC. If you have tons of storage space, feel free to use some of it as pagepool.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6800 s10onn2o 1.0.0 rom
Carrier: VERIZON

s10onn2o is just getting started
holy crap thank you for explaining it in english i have seen some art. on this and i had no idea what in the world they were talking about.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Fresh2Death is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
7 is the default for the current kitchen.

Pagepool is a cache for executing programs (the ones that are actually running). Think of it as additional memory for your running programs.

The larger pagepool is, the more crap you can have actively running. The smaller pagepool is, the more storage memory you have (storage is the area where programs are installed).

The general idea is to make it as small as you can without having any problems (slowness or crashing), because too big is a waste of valuable storage memory. Unfortunately, that magic sweet spot is dependent on how you use your PPC. If you have tons of storage space, feel free to use some of it as pagepool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10onn2o View Post
holy crap thank you for explaining it in english i have seen some art. on this and i had no idea what in the world they were talking about.
LOL hell ya! i agree with u on that. i set my page pool to 4 and its running smoothly and i have room to install a bunch of stuff without having to rely on my storage card. thx the the explanation. it really helped out alot man. very appreciative. kudos!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

tjarnold is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to tjarnold
Maybe I'm just missing something, but I wanted to know how to chage the pagepool in the AKU 3.5 kitchen from helmi_c. Can anyone tell me how to do that?
Smartphone History - Treo700wx(1) -> Apache(4) -> Titan(3) -> TP2(4) -> EVO(1)
Old 01-09-2008, 04:30 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
If you're using the old BuildOS (AKU 3.5 1.04 kitchen and earlier), you have to use a hex editor to change the page pool in the ROM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

tjarnold is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to tjarnold
So I need to edit the nk.fat file then right?

Where do I make this edit?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP
Re: ?? PagePool ??

I just wanted to bump this great explanation back to the top. I keep finding myself running low on memory and since almost everything I use is built into my ROM, I can afford to lose some storage space. Just so I'm understanding correctly, if I increase my pagepool when creating my ROM, that basically moves space from my storage memory to my program memory (RAM), right? And is it possible to change the page pool without re-flashing a ROM? My phone is SO PERFECT right now, but I could definitely use more memory.

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

id like to chime in on this as well..are you suggestin that adjusting the page pool is allocating storage memory to program memory?? that doesnt seem right, if we could do that, our RAM worries would be non-existent..and thats definately NOT how it currently is..
Old 02-26-2008, 01:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Fresh2Death is a n00b

oh naw... it definitely worked for me lol but i lost space to install programs in the process tho. i think the lower i made it, the more ram i had to run my programs so that my ppc would run a whole lot more stable. i might have to double check tho.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development