PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ?? PagePool ??

no, it's not RAM you gain (RAM is program memory). Swapfile space is not nearly as usefull as actual RAM is, but it does let you run more processes than you could if you didn't have it. Think of it as a cache for memory occupied by the executable portions of programs.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: xv6700 w/ helmi wm6
Carrier: verizon

cheesegrater is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to cheesegrater

"The Page Pool
Applications use RAM in two ways. There is code that runs, and there is data that is created while it is running. On a NOR device, the code can run directly from the ROM and not be loaded into RAM first. This process is called XIP (eXecute In Place). NAND devices can't XIP, so their code is loaded into RAM and executed from there. If you don't have a Page Pool, this code is loaded into normal RAM. The Page Pool is a mechanism to limit how much code is loaded into normal RAM. With a Page Pool, we can unload code that hasn't been used in a while and reload it later if we need to. We can't do that without a Page Pool.

On a typical NAND-based WM5 device, the Page Pool is 4.5M."

this quote was taken from: http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...17/494177.aspx

i thought it was a pretty good explanation. if you're curious the article gets into the dma buffer, radio stack etc., and how they affect device memory.

i've always thought of the page pool in wm to be comparable to the swap partition on a linux system, or virtual memory in windows. please set me straight if i'm crooked.
hope it helps.

Last edited by cheesegrater; 02-26-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
id like to chime in on this as well..are you suggestin that adjusting the page pool is allocating storage memory to program memory?? that doesnt seem right, if we could do that, our RAM worries would be non-existent..and thats definately NOT how it currently is..
Sort of, but not quite. Pagepool is virtual memory, but, unlike RAM (which you can write to an unlimited number of times), we're on a flash device (with limited wite cycles) so the pagepool can only contain code sections - no data sections. Plus, you have to have your program "paged in" to run, so a program can't ever access more RAM than you pysically have (because no data sections are allowed in the page pool). Since we can only page a portion of whats in RAM (just the code sections), RAM can quickly be consume by data sections.

There's always a price to pay, too. The larger the pagepool, the more storage space you consume (obviously, cause that's where it's stored), and you lose a small amount of RAM to track what's in the pagepool and where it is. And, of course, if you actually have to page something in, that's not nearly as fast as it already being in RAM.

So, if you find yourself running out of RAM, can increasing pagepool help? Definitely maybe. If you have lots of code sections, increasing pagepool might help. Once you've increased pagepool to a certain point, it won't help at all and will only hurt. That point is dependent on the nature of the software you run, and therefore will vary from user to user.

Will increasing/decreasing pagepool speed up your device? Definitely maybe. It all depends on why it's slow in the first place. Generally, you will only notice pagepool effects when swapping tasks. How often that occurs and whether you think it's better/worse depends on the nature of the software you run, and therefor will vary from user to user.

Will increasing/decreasing pagepool make my device more stable? Increasing pagepool should make your device feel more stable (mainly because programs are being swapped instead of forcibly closed). The only time decreasing pagepool helps stability is when you have really piss poor drivers (which, since we're stealing bits and pieces from other devices, may in fact be the case with any give kitchen/ROM).

Last edited by gguruusa; 02-27-2008 at 10:41 AM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP

Again, gguruusa, brilliant analysis. Thank you for the explanation. Now I know I want a new phone with more program memory

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
Old 02-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: xv6700 w/ helmi wm6
Carrier: verizon

cheesegrater is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to cheesegrater

gguruusa, awesome. you put it best. appreciate the time you took to type that mess up. it's extremely helpful.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

robmayer is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to robmayer Send a message via MSN to robmayer

Great explanation, very helpful!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

Fresh2Death is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Fresh2Death Send a message via Yahoo to Fresh2Death

gogo gguruusa!!
previous owned phones - Apache 6700, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, Nexus One - current phone in use : Nexus One
Old 04-02-2008, 05:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: VZW

bitbrat is just getting started

OK, so I have tried 7, 4, and 8 on a new 6.1 ROM and I am having horrible problems, so I guess I have other issues....

Freezing/locking and very slooooooow response times, very erratic battery consumption figures etc.

Back to the kitchen - I need a new mixer!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

bzxzlg is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitbrat View Post
OK, so I have tried 7, 4, and 8 on a new 6.1 ROM and I am having horrible problems, so I guess I have other issues....

Freezing/locking and very slooooooow response times, very erratic battery consumption figures etc.

Back to the kitchen - I need a new mixer!
Someone in the 6.1 postings wondered if their ROM size was "pushing the limit" (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ize#post224224). Their selections were small enough to cook and load on the PPC, but they got bad response. I had kinda noticed that as well myself, so now I've got a ROM that works. I use the default pagepool of the cooker.

Cheers
Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 AM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
Pagepool is virtual memory, but, unlike RAM (which you can write to an unlimited number of times), we're on a flash device (with limited wite cycles) so the pagepool can only contain code sections - no data sections.

<snip>

The larger the pagepool, the more storage space you consume, and you lose a small amount of RAM to track what's in the pagepool and where it is.

<snip>

So, if you find yourself running out of RAM, can increasing pagepool help? Definitely maybe.

<snip>

Will increasing/decreasing pagepool speed up your device? Definitely maybe.
Remarkably clear explanation ... great post. My thanks.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development