PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 06:37 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Jeremysjunk is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Trojan virus in oem package?

Can someone else confirm this? I was a work and opened up the latest oem package for the kitchen and our anti virus program found a Trojan virus in the package and removed it. I was at work and didn't have time to research what Trojan it was but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. This was on the 22nd and downloaded from FTP for PPCGEEKS. I downloaded it today and unpacked it and scanned it with AGV but none were found. I believe we use Norton at work.

Thanks for all the hard work and making these 6700's fun

Jeremysjunk

Last edited by Jeremysjunk; 12-24-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone 6 Plus 128gb
Carrier: AT&T

jtrag is keeping up the good workjtrag is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to jtrag Send a message via MSN to jtrag Send a message via Yahoo to jtrag Send a message via Skype™ to jtrag
Norton is junk. Use Bit Defender, Kaspersky, or NOD32. They are excellent antivirus programs.

Regarding the trojan, it's probably just a program being detected as one that isn't. It probably just has similar properties to a trojan virus. Also, which file is it on the FTP that says it has a trojan?
Old 12-24-2007, 12:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800 Titan (on Sprint) / PPC6700 (Sprint) Apache / Sprint Touch

tiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to tiermann Send a message via Yahoo to tiermann
I scan all files with Avast before they get uploaded. I also provide the MD5 Hash for each incase they're tampered with on the public FTP here. Most likely it's what jtrag said, a false positive from Norton.

Alternatively you can use the ppckitchen.org mirrors listed their. That server is not publicly uploadable so I can pretty much guarantee they haven't been tampered with.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:42 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

I double checked today and my company uses McAfee not Norton. It was the RAR file for the programs that had the "virus". I'll download them again and scan the files online but I can't do this at work I have to wait untill I get home today. I was just checking to see if anyone else had this problem. The antivirus didn't even see it untill I unpacked the RAR file in it's own folder and as soon as it unpacked it showed up. I don't want to do it again at work because IT department might throw a fit.

Jeremysjunk
Old 12-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Ditch Doctor
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

GaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Well first of all, if you are talking about the ppcgeeks_oem.rar it is is not supposed to be unpacked. You just put it in root folder. It never gets unpacked. I would think that if a virus existed in that file we would all be seeing some issues. 100's if not 1000's have use this kitched with that rar file.

Feel free to if choose to do so.
My ROM for Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, US Cellular and Cricket 20931 Base!!

The THANKS button is over there------------------------------------------------>
Old 12-26-2007, 09:25 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Yes thats what I would think as well. I just wanted to make sure. I know it's not suppose to be unpacked but I wanted to see how things were done and learn and thats how I do it. I bet the majority of people would not unpack it because it has been said in the forums that your not suppose to. Now the "virus" that was detected was not detected until I did the unpacking. So I imagine that it is possible there could be one because as I remember some anti virus programs in the past did not scan files that were compressed or zipped very well. We might not be hearing about it because no one is unpacking. I was just checking if people would check with their anti virus software because I only use agv and figured it would be easy for someone to unpack it and scan it with different software. I also remember there being a problem at one time that people would delete things they had no right to delete and if they had that access I would think that someone could add a program with a virus and upload it back in. I never heard if they solved that issue with allowing access.

Thanks for the input guys
Jeremysjunk

I hope I'm not offending anyone that put this package together I truly appreciate all the hard work and countless hours put into this project. Thanks again!

Last edited by Jeremysjunk; 12-26-2007 at 09:29 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development