PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Bootloader (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=13548)

spetrillo 12-10-2007 11:22 PM

Bootloader

Hello all,

I know I am going to be asking a previously answered question but I did search first and could not find anything for what I have. I have bootloader 1.04 on my new 6700, and am trying to use the WM6 kitchen to flash a new ROM. I have tried all 3 options under RUU but each time I get an error that will not allow me to flash. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to upgrade my bootloader, as I had 2.02 on my previous 6700.

Thanks for your patience in answering this.

Steve

gguruusa 12-11-2007 12:09 AM

You've already updated your bootloader - 1.04 is as new as you're going to get (for your phone). BTW, newer is not better when it comes to bootloaders.

What error are you getting and what OS do have on your PC?

spetrillo 12-11-2007 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gguruusa (Post 140220)
You've already updated your bootloader - 1.04 is as new as you're going to get (for your phone). BTW, newer is not better when it comes to bootloaders.

What error are you getting and what OS do have on your PC?

I thought 2.04 is the most current. I am getting an error that indicates it cannot communicate to the device when it wants to retrieve the device information. I had tried all three RUU options with similar results. I am on a XP PC.

Should I be using the 04+ option for this bootloader? Does this 1.04 bootloader mean I cannot downgrade my phone?

Thanks,
Steve

gguruusa 12-11-2007 10:24 AM

1.0x vs 2.0x is a hardware difference. 1.x equipment will NEVER be 2.x equipment.

Yes, you should be using the .04+ option for RUU. You can downgrade (both OS and/or bootloader).

Try putting your phone in bootloader first, then connecting your usb cable (ignore the directions in RUU screens - just push next each time). You may need to reboot your computer first. Also, don't connect via a USB hub - connect directly to your PC.

spetrillo 12-11-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gguruusa (Post 140411)
1.0x vs 2.0x is a hardware difference. 1.x equipment will NEVER be 2.x equipment.

Yes, you should be using the .04+ option for RUU. You can downgrade (both OS and/or bootloader).

Try putting your phone in bootloader first, then connecting your usb cable (ignore the directions in RUU screens - just push next each time). You may need to reboot your computer first. Also, don't connect via a USB hub - connect directly to your PC.

Thanks for the info. I used the 04+ option and now it seems to be working. I also rebooted my laptop prior to this jmust in case something was hung up on the laptop.

Now a stupid question...what is the difference, if any, between 1.x and 2.x hardware? Is one more current than the other?

Thanks again,
Steve

TMB_XV6700 12-11-2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spetrillo (Post 140413)
Thanks for the info. I used the 04+ option and now it seems to be working. I also rebooted my laptop prior to this jmust in case something was hung up on the laptop.
Now a stupid question...what is the difference, if any, between 1.x and 2.x hardware? Is one more current than the other?
Thanks again,
Steve

Steve,
That's a good question -- wish I knew the answer.
Look here for some background: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7820
There are apparently two Apache hardware configurations/generations: g3 and g4. G3 devices all get 1.xx bootloader versions, and g4 devices get 2.xx bootloaders. Whatever differences exist between g3 and g4 devices seem to be minimal, even negligible aside from the bootloader issues - most people don't seem to know (or care) whether they have one or the other.

gguruusa 12-11-2007 12:37 PM

G3 and G4 are DiskOnChip generations.

G4 is capable of faster read speeds and lower power consumption (which doesn't necessarily relate to our devices), and has more support for DRM. It's also physically smaller and in theory less costly to use.

From a functional perspective in a PPC6700, you might get an imperceptibly faster boot time from a G4 and a few minutes better standby life, but otherwise not particularly different from a G3 version.