PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Verizon offered me a XV6800 for my XV6700 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=13211)

Herules 12-06-2007 05:10 PM

Verizon offered me a XV6800 for my XV6700

I had returned my xv6700 2 times for different reasons and talked the rep into sending me a XV6800, should I just get another xv6700 or go with the XV6800. Is it as easy to use cooked ROMs with? I love using my xv6700 with Verizon Guys No junk clean verision, will I be able to use the same roms on the xv6800 and if not are there as many roms for the xv6800? Thanks

KidGixxer 12-06-2007 05:59 PM

lol seriously? Get the 6800 and ill trade you my 6700.

I also have a bridge......

luv2chill 12-06-2007 06:40 PM

The 6800 lags far behind the 6700 at the current time in terms of a stable driver set. It's no surprise, really--it took almost two years for the Apache to get the great drivers it has now. The 6800 is new and HTC is still working the bugs out.

There are custom ROMs and kitchens for the 6800 but without good drivers the device is not all it can be. Will it get there? I hope so. As much as we are able to do with these devices we are limited by the fact that we can't write drivers, and drivers are the foundation of these things. We can craft a really excellent kitchen but the device will still suck if its drivers aren't sound--akin to building a mansion on landfill.

I have both a 6800 and a 6700--and I far and away prefer the 6700 because it is mature at this point. HTC finally got the bugs worked out of the driver set and as a result our kitchens and custom ROMs result in a truly stable device (for the most part). The 6800 isn't there yet, and it will only get there if HTC keeps developing ROMs for it long enough to work out all the bugs.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Herules 12-06-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2chill (Post 137420)
The 6800 lags far behind the 6700 at the current time in terms of a stable driver set. It's no surprise, really--it took almost two years for the Apache to get the great drivers it has now. The 6800 is new and HTC is still working the bugs out.

There are custom ROMs and kitchens for the 6800 but without good drivers the device is not all it can be. Will it get there? I hope so. As much as we are able to do with these devices we are limited by the fact that we can't write drivers, and drivers are the foundation of these things. We can craft a really excellent kitchen but the device will still suck if its drivers aren't sound--akin to building a mansion on landfill.

I have both a 6800 and a 6700--and I far and away prefer the 6700 because it is mature at this point. HTC finally got the bugs worked out of the driver set and as a result our kitchens and custom ROMs result in a truly stable device (for the most part). The 6800 isn't there yet, and it will only get there if HTC keeps developing ROMs for it long enough to work out all the bugs.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Thanks for the input, I do not want to upgrade to something that is newer but not able to install custom ROMs that work well, as I thought I will likely stick with the xv6700.

fitbryan 12-06-2007 07:50 PM

I would keep the 6700. L2C's comments aside, the 6800 is plain ugly :)

froader 12-07-2007 08:00 PM

6800!!

I just got the XV6800 on wednesday.

I have to say its an improvement for the following reasons.

Size and weight. Its hardly noticeable in my pocket.

Thumbweel with OK button next to it. = One handed nav. Great!

Battery life. Using WIFI, exchange push, and listening to music on speaker,
It last beyond a day. My Apache w/ latest kitchen and latest Radio couldnt even last 1 day.

Performance - I am impressed. It seems more snappy than the apache. Even loaded up with all the apps I am used to. HTC home, X-button, etc. I did not let the extended rom programs run on startup, I might add.

Negatives of 6800:
Once it wouldnt stop vibrating untill soft reset, and the alarm wouldn't wake the phone.

So, If its customizing thats important then stay with the apache. I have done almost every kitchen rom upg. with the apache, But I have to say that I am very happy to upgrade to the 6800.

zr5401 12-07-2007 08:08 PM

Wow I am impressed that you got them to give you a 6800. My 6700 died about a month ago and they have sent me two referbs that didn't work before they sen me one that did...

Herules 12-07-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froader (Post 138281)
I just got the XV6800 on wednesday.

I have to say its an improvement for the following reasons.

Size and weight. Its hardly noticeable in my pocket.

Thumbweel with OK button next to it. = One handed nav. Great!

Battery life. Using WIFI, exchange push, and listening to music on speaker,
It last beyond a day. My Apache w/ latest kitchen and latest Radio couldnt even last 1 day.

Performance - I am impressed. It seems more snappy than the apache. Even loaded up with all the apps I am used to. HTC home, X-button, etc. I did not let the extended rom programs run on startup, I might add.

Negatives of 6800:
Once it wouldnt stop vibrating untill soft reset, and the alarm wouldn't wake the phone.

So, If its customizing thats important then stay with the apache. I have done almost every kitchen rom upg. with the apache, But I have to say that I am very happy to upgrade to the 6800.

You are making me rethink, I have over the weekend to decide, thanks for the input! I have to agree with fitbryan, they are kinda ugly........

Herules 12-07-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zr5401 (Post 138284)
Wow I am impressed that you got them to give you a 6800. My 6700 died about a month ago and they have sent me two referbs that didn't work before they sen me one that did...

I had a treo 700p and I went thru 5 of those, then this is my 3rd XV6700, I impressed that I know you have boxes of 6700's because they are years old and come on I am just wanting a phone that works, after three to four times he put me on hold and came back and said that it would cost me the 50.00 deductible but he would do it for my situation, I was very suprised also, I am still undecided...

hunter 12-08-2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herules (Post 138293)
I had a treo 700p and I went thru 5 of those, then this is my 3rd XV6700, I impressed that I know you have boxes of 6700's because they are years old and come on I am just wanting a phone that works, after three to four times he put me on hold and came back and said that it would cost me the 50.00 deductible but he would do it for my situation, I was very suprised also, I am still undecided...

Verizon is doing this for everyone. I just got my 6800 yesterday for $50, I have been having problems with Asurion(the insurance company) so I called VZW said i need to talk to the best supervisor they had explained my situation to him, and he said they have been getting a lot of complaints about asurion over the past several months about bad phones being sent out and claims being denied. He told me he could send me a refurb 6700 for free, but that he been hearing a lot of problems with the refurbs, or I could go to a local vzw store and pick up a 6800 for $50. He said he would note it all on my account, just go pick it up. When i got to the store everything was as he said, and the store rep gave me a 50 mail in rebate so in the end the phone will be for free if they honor the rebate. VZW is really working hard on their customer retention and satisfaction. The good thing about all of it is my 6700 will still be functional with wifi i can use it as a pocket pc skype phone.