PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: VX6800
Carrier: Verizon

stonecoldtx is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Restore personal DB from older WM version to new questions

Hi, All--

New to the site, but I've had a VX6700 since May of '06; stumbled across the ROM upgrades to switch to WM6 for my phone a few days ago on this site, and upgrade not only to that OS, but also upgraded my radio version as well.

I have used Sprite backup on WM5 ever since I got the phone, and it backs up every day; however--when I upgraded to WM6, it wiped all my settings, my call history and all my text messages off the phone.

"No problem", I think . . . "I'll just restore them from backup"; unfortunatly, every time I restore the "Personal Database", I am then unable to open up my "Contacts"--that app just crashes . . . and then I have to RE-flash the phone back to the original WM6 ROM upgrade and re-set up all my settings.

Is there someone here who can give me some ideas on how to restore my call history AND/OR my text messages? I'd like to have them if possible.

Great Site, and Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: centro
Carrier: vzw

jhonny11 is a n00b
You cannot do a restore well across different OS versions (AKUs) and especially not from WM5 to WM6. Best bet - reload an official WM5 (it's here on the site if you look) then restore with sprite. Then, backup your contacts/calendar with Activesync - either to the destkop or to an exchange mail server setup (I believe there may be a couple programs that work across WM versions, but since I use exchange I've never had the need). Finally, reload the wm6 and sync again...

As for call history/text msg, you have to check the software libraries here. I believe there are things that work, but I don't care about either so never back them up.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

stonecoldtx is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonny11 View Post
You cannot do a restore well across different OS versions (AKUs) and especially not from WM5 to WM6. Best bet - reload an official WM5 (it's here on the site if you look) then restore with sprite. Then, backup your contacts/calendar with Activesync - either to the destkop or to an exchange mail server setup (I believe there may be a couple programs that work across WM versions, but since I use exchange I've never had the need). Finally, reload the wm6 and sync again...

As for call history/text msg, you have to check the software libraries here. I believe there are things that work, but I don't care about either so never back them up.
Thanks for the response! I really appreciate it!

However . . .

I really don't have a need to restore back to WM5, as my contacts are safely within Outlook on my PC, and those are synchronized each time I connect the phone and run activesync. Obviously, those items aren't what I'm trying to restore.

Since I've been running Sprite backup, I have the files I wish to restore--the ones that contain the Call History and Text Messages safely in a Sprite backup.

My goal is to restore that data for my Call History and Text Messages (which, by the way, are files that are NOT synchronized via active sync, or any other app that I'm aware of--and therefore, would not then be synchronized with the new OS).

You've indicated that it can't be done, or at least, not easily; I'm pretty technical, and can read directions pretty well, so I'm not afraid of doing something hard--if there's a way, I'd be willing to do it, so long as it's not so difficult to the point where it would be ridiculous.

So, getting back to my ORIGINAL post . . . IS there a way to restore the call history and text messages from the previous OS into the new WM6 version, in such a way that it won't then crater my existing configuration?

If so, could someone please outline what steps are necessary to accomplish this?

Again, thanks!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
stonecoldtx,
Not sure what version of Sprite backup you have, but others have reported being able to simply restore call history and text messages after WM5 AKU3.5 > WM6 migration; I think the latest Sprite version does it easily. I personally use PIMBackup; it's in the kitchen and is available mainly on xda-developers.com; works perfectly for this. Have fun. tmb
Old 12-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

stonecoldtx is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB_XV6700 View Post
stonecoldtx,
Not sure what version of Sprite backup you have, but others have reported being able to simply restore call history and text messages after WM5 AKU3.5 > WM6 migration; I think the latest Sprite version does it easily. I personally use PIMBackup; it's in the kitchen and is available mainly on xda-developers.com; works perfectly for this. Have fun. tmb
Hi, TMB_XV6700--

I had Sprite backup version 5.1; I installed the latest version, 6.1, when I installed the WM6 upgrade onto the phone.

Now, having said that, once I got the phone upgraded and the new version of Sprite Backup installed, I simply have gone to the backup file on the SD card and opened that up.

Once I opened it up, there was a selection to restore just the "Personal Database", which is what I have been doing--and apparently, there is a problem when I do it that way--causing the Contacts app to crash.

Considering what you've said, it's a very real possibility that I've been doing things all wrong--perhaps I should have tried just re-installing the OLDER version of Sprite backup and restoring using that . . .

Do you think that my procedures might have been flawed previously, by using the new verison of Sprite, instead of the older 5.1 version I had been using?

If that's the case, then I *might* be able to just uninstall the new version and install the older one--maybe that will get me back to where I want to be.

ALSO--it's possible that I'm not restoring the correct files as well; I only know that the "personal database" restores the call history, but don't know for sure if the text messages are also restored--and if they'er not, I don't know which file I need to restore in order to get them back.

Regarding PIMBackup--

I actually found this application earlier today--I think the latest version is 2.5, and it appears to be able to back up and restore just the items I'm interested in, so if I can't just install the older version of Sprite and restore my call history and text messaging, I think I will perform these steps:

1.) Restore my phone to the earlier WM5 ROM
2.) Install PIMBackup onto it and the back the phone up with it
3.) Flash to the new WM6 ROM, and install PIMBackup onto the new ROM (I think it might be better to just install it, rather than use the one in the kitchen, but maybe there's no difference)
4.) Restore the call history and text messages using PIMBackup

Hopefully, that will work, and I'll then have the new WM6 OS along with all my call history and text messages, as it appears that PIMBackup allows one to just select those specific items, and then restores the appropriate file or files.

Am I correct in assuming this?

Please advise . . .

I really do appreciate the responses!

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:28 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV3850 with full gps (thanks eRice, SCrosler, and bored)

ajgalbraith98 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecoldtx View Post
3.) Flash to the new WM6 ROM, and install PIMBackup onto the new ROM (I think it might be better to just install it, rather than use the one in the kitchen, but maybe there's no difference)

Please advise . . .

I really do appreciate the responses!

Thanks!
Bake PIMbackup in IMHO. its great, it does what you want, and can restore individual parts (like JUST your call history). It can also schedule backups (i use this on my wifes phone...perfect for all the crazy things she does) The schedule can also delete the previous backups (including a setting for how many to keep) to keep your Storage card from filling up.

my 2c worth

--ajgalbraith98
Old 12-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

stonecoldtx is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecoldtx View Post
1.) Restore my phone to the earlier WM5 ROM
2.) Install PIMBackup onto it and the back the phone up with it
OK, these steps worked--I now have all of my call history and text messages, which is what I was trying to accomplish!

I actually flashed back to the 2.2 WM5 ROM, because that's what I had installed previously--and it included the old 1.10 radio in it; thanks to the information on this site, I was able to "bake in" the new 1.43 radio when I flashed the phone, so the only thing left would be to upgrade the boot loader to a later version (not really sure if that's necessary or not--it seems to work fine with the v1.00 bootloader, but if it's a worthwhile upgrade, I would certainly do it; if anyone has input on this, I'd certainly appreciate it!)

Big Kudo's go to Dot Fred over at xda-developers.com for creating this awesome little utility--he did a heck of a job with it!

Thanks to those who have responded!

( ;-{)}

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development