PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   WM6 upgrade affect exchange 2003? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=12362)

deekfu 11-24-2007 12:54 AM

WM6 upgrade affect exchange 2003?

Hi, I just got a new 6700 through work, upgrading from a bb 7250 (cant thank the boss enough!!). I am anxious to upgrade to wm6.

When I asked about buying a wm6-native phone (i760 or 6800), I was told I couldnt because it wasnt supported by our IT and the servers havent been configured.

Before I flash WM6, i wanted to know if this makes sense? It doesnt to me and I felt it was a typical IT blow off. But, it is their phone, so if they are right, I'll stick with WM5 and be grateful I dont have a BB anymore.

However, if this is bogus, I will do the upgrade.

If I do the upgrade, how do I back up the settings for the sync for email push (or do I need to?)? We are using OneBridge for our email push software.

Sorry I am such a newb.

Thanks.

guitardoc64 11-24-2007 01:32 AM

[QUOTE=deekfu;128548]
When I asked about buying a wm6-native phone (i760 or 6800), I was told I couldnt because it wasnt supported by our IT and the servers havent been configured.

Before I flash WM6, i wanted to know if this makes sense? It doesnt to me and I felt it was a typical IT blow off.
However, if this is bogus, I will do the upgrade.
If I do the upgrade, how do I back up the settings for the sync for email push (or do I need to?)? We are using OneBridge for our email push software.
[QUOTE]

Really, That's what they told you? Spread it on your lawn, it'll make the grass grow.
If they're using direct-push email the WM6 email should work better, and is easily pre-configured thanks to Tiermann's OEMizer app. You can build in all your server settings, passwords, etc, in such a way that they are pre-configured, even if you hard reset. Try that with a stock 6700. You can always change back to the stock WM5, but I don't think you will. You also have folks here WILLING to help if you get stuck.

deekfu 11-24-2007 02:02 AM

Thanks guitardoc. I figured as much.

So, best thing to do is wait for them to configure under WM5, then run OEMizer and plug in the settings, then upgrade to WM6 using Helmi's kitchen, right?

BTW, if it doesnt work and I need to go back to WM5, how is that done??

Thanks for the support. I am a ppc newb now, but expect to fully deserve a ppc geek label soon.

guitardoc64 11-24-2007 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deekfu (Post 128573)
Thanks guitardoc. I figured as much.

So, best thing to do is wait for them to configure under WM5, then run OEMizer and plug in the settings, then upgrade to WM6 using Helmi's kitchen, right?

BTW, if it doesnt work and I need to go back to WM5, how is that done??

Thanks for the support. I am a ppc newb now, but expect to fully deserve a ppc geek label soon.

Yes, let them configure away, and get those settings into OEMizer. The stock ROMs are carrier dependant, but available at:
http://www.utstar.com/pcd/view_phone...id=null&bID=30

We also have stock carrier ROMs on the ftp site.

Oh yeah, almost forgot-Welcome to the Party!

gguruusa 11-24-2007 02:48 AM

Better still...use Helmi AKU 3.5 kitchen 1.04 if you need WM5.

guitardoc64 11-24-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gguruusa (Post 128589)

Yeah, almost forgot about that! :) BTW, has that been reconfigured to work with the new Build OS?

tnsandman 11-24-2007 04:31 PM

Its a bunch of BS. I am a network admin and maintain the Exchange servers for a small private college. Going from WM5 to WM6 was seamless. I didn't change a thing on my servers.It works just as fast as before. Upgrade away!

deekfu 11-25-2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gguruusa (Post 128589)

Please explain why? I am surmising that i dont need wm5, but I am interested if you could explain this comment in more detail. Thanks

guitardoc64 11-25-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deekfu (Post 129228)
Please explain why? I am surmising that i dont need wm5, but I am interested if you could explain this comment in more detail. Thanks

The WM5 Kitchen gives you the same ability to build in what you need/want, get rid of carrier bloatware, and globally improve performance. The basic difference is simply that it's WM5, but a higher revision that has been refined here over the past several months. It uses a little less memory, so you can build in more OEMs without problems.

That said, I still like the WM6 email setup. gguruusa was simply reminding us that WM5 is still alive and well, useful as it ever was, and will pacify your IT boneheads. :)

edufur 11-25-2007 05:58 PM

i think everyone is missing the IT point though... and dont get me wrong, I hate the lies that spew out of IT. Here is the thing to keep in mind though. Everyone experiences problems (of some kind or another) with custom builds. If you throw a custom build on there, you can forget about getting any help from your IT department in the event that you experience problems. The good news though, is that you can probably get help with your problems here. I would keep your upgrade on the down low if I were you. If your work knew that you were taking it upon yourself (and against their advice) to change your phone, they might not take too kindly to it. It is their equipment afterall... and they are paying for the contract. I am betting you wont have too many problems... but keep in mind that you will now OWN all your problems. Have fun!!