PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 03:04 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Idle/low power draw (abcPowerMeter) measurements with new WM6 kitchen rom

Notes: I am still running a rom based on the first WM6 kitchen, but I have applied the power management regedits that should be included now.

Running Radio 1.43, 3 bars, EVDO signal during test, on battery, backlight at 5th tick from left for battery, BT off, Wifi off. Beam off. Running FTouchFlo, HTC Cube. Not running HTC Home, or HTC X button. Not running anything significant in the background.

HTC Performance "on" at "520mhz"

Flight mode (radio off, no blinky lights)

Backlight On: 62ma
Backlight Off: 32ma
Screen Off: 25ma

Normal Mode, not connected to EVDO radio on.
Backlight On: 66ma
Backlight Off: 34ma
Screen Off: 28ma

Normal Mode, connected to EVDO but idle.
Backlight On: 66ma
Backlight Off: 34ma
Screen Off: 28ma

Measurement variance, +/- 1ma

Rerun all tests, HTC Performance "off" - same numbers +/- variance
Rerun all tests FTouchFlo off - same numbers +/- variance

Comparison to tests from way way way back: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=2174

That was done in Jan 07... that would be Radio 1.2?, WM5, AKU 3.3 rom of some form.

Back then I got:
Normal Mode, connected to EVDO but idle.
Backlight On: 71ma
Backlight Off: 40ma
Screen Off: 27ma

So, really about the same - maybe a hair lower - Good news, WM6 sure isn't any worse for battery life, and might be a little better. Interesting to see the CDMA radio when not in use, just pinging the tower, just adds 2-4ma to whatever WM is sucking out of the battery...
Old 11-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
shettj,
Interesting post. I'm sitting 3mA above you at every test condition (except screen off - I don't do that one).
My standard "floor" (your Normal Mode, Backlight off) has remained at 37 mA from WM5AKU3.5 through the 1st WM6 kitchen and now the 3rd WM6 kitchen. I never implemented the power management tweaks on the first two, and they're supposed to be in this Rev 3 kitchen. I get the feeling they have no effect on the bottom-line constant draw anyway.
Regarding backlight, I use the following current draw estimates from previous measurements
- BL full on adds 45 mA
- BL on at lowest setting is actually 1/3 pwr ~15mA
- Each upward increment adds 3 mA

I've been skeptical of drawing significant conclusions about differences between phones based on acbpowermeter readings. Still if enough users post values for this idle number, we might get a better feel for what to expect.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:07 PM
morsus mihi
Threadstarter

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
The diff between 34 and 37 is so small as to be possibly not significant. Just for fun, what radio firmware are you running?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Running 1.43
Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Yeah if only you and me are posting, I'm thinking that 3mA might be significant. That changes if everyone else is posting 25,38,46,50.... Then clearly it's not significant.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:17 PM
bzo
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 / Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

bzo is keeping up the good workbzo is keeping up the good work
wm6 kitchen rom a couple of revs back, my normal mode:

bl on: 70 (5 above min)
bl off: 40

All apps closed, running HTC Home+XButton+Perf(@520)

Tried putting in the power reg entries and resetting - no effect. First time I've tried the power app, so I have no data from before to compare.

edit - radio 1.27, sprint
Old 11-19-2007, 08:17 PM
morsus mihi
Threadstarter

Interesting, thanks for that data point bzo.

Your numbers are very close (er, identical) to my first set in January, when I was running radio 1.2x as well.

Are you sure the power savings reg entries are in?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 PM
bzo
N00b

yep, double checked the registry again after seeing that there was no difference in power consumption. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they did nothing because they appear to be related to specific communications protocols.

I'll have to try upgrading to the 1.43 radio next time I flash to see if it makes a difference. I had reverted back from 1.41 because the evdo connections seemed a little less reliable to me compared to 1.27.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO

edufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good work
the power tweaks made a HUGE difference with my phone at least. I havent looked at actual numbers, but my phone can go a whole day idle now (with a few text messages and a couple games of freecell) with losing 10% at most. before the tweaks, i was losing 50% of the battery life. again, i dont have mAh numbers. my radio is (and always was 1.27).
Old 11-20-2007, 02:53 AM
bzo
N00b

just to double check, for the power reg entries, you guys are talking about these right?

Setting “DisablePowerManagement”=dword:0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\AsyncMac1\Parms]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\Irsir1\Parms]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\PPTP1\Parms]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\L2TP1\Parms]

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development