PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Idle/low power draw (abcPowerMeter) measurements with new WM6 kitchen rom (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=12090)

schettj 11-19-2007 03:04 PM

Idle/low power draw (abcPowerMeter) measurements with new WM6 kitchen rom

Notes: I am still running a rom based on the first WM6 kitchen, but I have applied the power management regedits that should be included now.

Running Radio 1.43, 3 bars, EVDO signal during test, on battery, backlight at 5th tick from left for battery, BT off, Wifi off. Beam off. Running FTouchFlo, HTC Cube. Not running HTC Home, or HTC X button. Not running anything significant in the background.

HTC Performance "on" at "520mhz"

Flight mode (radio off, no blinky lights)

Backlight On: 62ma
Backlight Off: 32ma
Screen Off: 25ma

Normal Mode, not connected to EVDO radio on.
Backlight On: 66ma
Backlight Off: 34ma
Screen Off: 28ma

Normal Mode, connected to EVDO but idle.
Backlight On: 66ma
Backlight Off: 34ma
Screen Off: 28ma

Measurement variance, +/- 1ma

Rerun all tests, HTC Performance "off" - same numbers +/- variance
Rerun all tests FTouchFlo off - same numbers +/- variance

Comparison to tests from way way way back: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=2174

That was done in Jan 07... that would be Radio 1.2?, WM5, AKU 3.3 rom of some form.

Back then I got:
Normal Mode, connected to EVDO but idle.
Backlight On: 71ma
Backlight Off: 40ma
Screen Off: 27ma

So, really about the same - maybe a hair lower - Good news, WM6 sure isn't any worse for battery life, and might be a little better. Interesting to see the CDMA radio when not in use, just pinging the tower, just adds 2-4ma to whatever WM is sucking out of the battery...

TMB_XV6700 11-19-2007 05:45 PM

shettj,
Interesting post. I'm sitting 3mA above you at every test condition (except screen off - I don't do that one).
My standard "floor" (your Normal Mode, Backlight off) has remained at 37 mA from WM5AKU3.5 through the 1st WM6 kitchen and now the 3rd WM6 kitchen. I never implemented the power management tweaks on the first two, and they're supposed to be in this Rev 3 kitchen. I get the feeling they have no effect on the bottom-line constant draw anyway.
Regarding backlight, I use the following current draw estimates from previous measurements
- BL full on adds 45 mA
- BL on at lowest setting is actually 1/3 pwr ~15mA
- Each upward increment adds 3 mA

I've been skeptical of drawing significant conclusions about differences between phones based on acbpowermeter readings. Still if enough users post values for this idle number, we might get a better feel for what to expect.

schettj 11-19-2007 06:07 PM

The diff between 34 and 37 is so small as to be possibly not significant. Just for fun, what radio firmware are you running?

TMB_XV6700 11-19-2007 06:16 PM

Running 1.43

TMB_XV6700 11-19-2007 06:19 PM

Yeah if only you and me are posting, I'm thinking that 3mA might be significant. That changes if everyone else is posting 25,38,46,50.... Then clearly it's not significant.

bzo 11-19-2007 07:17 PM

wm6 kitchen rom a couple of revs back, my normal mode:

bl on: 70 (5 above min)
bl off: 40

All apps closed, running HTC Home+XButton+Perf(@520)

Tried putting in the power reg entries and resetting - no effect. First time I've tried the power app, so I have no data from before to compare.

edit - radio 1.27, sprint

schettj 11-19-2007 08:17 PM

Interesting, thanks for that data point bzo.

Your numbers are very close (er, identical) to my first set in January, when I was running radio 1.2x as well.

Are you sure the power savings reg entries are in?

bzo 11-19-2007 08:38 PM

yep, double checked the registry again after seeing that there was no difference in power consumption. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they did nothing because they appear to be related to specific communications protocols.

I'll have to try upgrading to the 1.43 radio next time I flash to see if it makes a difference. I had reverted back from 1.41 because the evdo connections seemed a little less reliable to me compared to 1.27.

edufur 11-19-2007 11:25 PM

the power tweaks made a HUGE difference with my phone at least. I havent looked at actual numbers, but my phone can go a whole day idle now (with a few text messages and a couple games of freecell) with losing 10% at most. before the tweaks, i was losing 50% of the battery life. again, i dont have mAh numbers. my radio is (and always was 1.27).

bzo 11-20-2007 02:53 AM

just to double check, for the power reg entries, you guys are talking about these right?

Setting “DisablePowerManagement”=dword:0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\AsyncMac1\Parms]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\Irsir1\Parms]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\PPTP1\Parms]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\L2TP1\Parms]