PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 12:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

KidGixxer is keeping up the good workKidGixxer is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Heres another link. I salute you if you have the balls to try it. (I wouldn't)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=1374424
Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....
Carrier: Sprint

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
It is an actual app that runs an animated gif. Unfortunately, it does not work on the apache as of yet.

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Old 11-19-2007, 01:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

da1stprince is keeping up the good workda1stprince is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
No, it can not be done. For one thing, the bootsplash on Apache is not a .gif.
i am sure that there is a way to get this to work....we can manipulate and break down roms, touch applications(ala "touchflo") emulate the iphone and some think it's impossible to get an animated bootscreen for the apache?...c'mon dig deeper...it is very possible and i'm sure the answers will be revealed soon!!
Old 11-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
I have no doubt that it's possible. It's a matter of finding people with:

1. The necessary technical level to investigate how the app does it
2. The necessary interest and time to devote to it

So if you find someone (or a group of folks) with #1 and #2 then you'll probably see it happen. If you only have one or the other it's not going to happen.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2chill View Post

So if you find someone (or a group of folks) with #1 and #2 then you'll probably see it happen. If you only have one or the other it's not going to happen.
totally understood and agreed... we have very technically inclined wizards here on these and other forums and i'm sure someone at some point in time(hopefully in the near future) will incorporate this process to our beloved Apache's... i'm just interested in the sprint logos but,i'm sure there are others that will be more interested in fully customizing this technique to their liking...
To make this even more challenging and to complicate matters even more... that startup animated logo also has a sound byte to go along with the animation!
i know this mod might be very low on the radar compared to all the other great apps/mods available now, but i don't think it's any less important to all that would be interested in having this cracked for our model pda...

Last edited by da1stprince; 11-19-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 AM
Retired Staff

Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Absolutely. I hope someone is able to tackle it. It's way beyond the scope of my abilities however. At least on the mogul (and I'd venture to guess the touch as well) the bits that get it to play are in the serial_btur.dll driver--which is obviously used for lots of other things as well. I'm not sure why HTC stuck it in there, but maybe that particular point of the boot process is when that driver loads.

There is also a reference inside ddi.dll (the LCD driver on the mogul)--not sure if that part is used or not.

In all honesty I think it would be less difficult for someone to write an animated GIF player from scratch--but to get it to load prior to the Windows Mobile splash screen is going to involve hacking of drivers--which is like the hardest thing ever.

So not to sound too discouraging, but that's what whoever chooses to tackle this (if they do) is up against.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

i like challenges but this is way out of my league, your right though...maybe the best thing would be to change the format it comes in to something we can use.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2chill View Post

The problem with implementing this is that not only would you have to modify the bootloader to understand a new format (assuming that the splash code is in the bootloader) but you're also going to have to increase the size of the image storage area. The combination of these two likely mean remapping memory. On an already constrained device, this is likely to be impracticle. Add to that that animating a bitmap implies asynchronous processing or extending boot time, you get a ridiculous amount of complexity for the gain.

The other devices mentioned with animated bootsplashes have both larger memory spaces and different memory layouts.

As for implementing an animated splash before/after/replacing welcomehead, that's much more readily done.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Retired Staff

gguru see my post after that one for further details. This is an OS-level thing that occurs whilst drivers are loading. It has nothing to do with the bootloader and .nb splashes.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
yeah, I saw that...that's why I added the last paragraph in mine. Wasn't the original post about the boot splash?

Last edited by gguruusa; 11-19-2007 at 08:36 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development