PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

stickythumbs is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
XV6700 vs. Samsung SCH-i760 - which one?

Guys - I'm an extremely happy XV6700 user, the new helmi WM6 kitchen is awesome! However, I may need to replace my XV6700. Verizon currently has the SCH-i760 at the same price as the 6700 - should I go for the new phone with native WM6 support? Or should I take another 6700, despite the aging hardware platform? Thanks for all of your input!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:24 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: PPC6800
Carrier: Alltel

ericthegreat is a n00b
I've only been able to play with the i760 that a guy at work has for a few min but like it better than the 6700. It's got the sliding keyboard, touchscreen, and the real selling point for me is having the number pad on the front of the phone. Being able to dial without looking at the screen is huge for me. I did notice it seemed a bit slow but nothing that a glyphcache registry tweak shouldn't be able to fix.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

verizonguy is becoming a great contributor
I bought and returned the i760. I absolutely loved the keypad on the front and really liked the phone, but there were a few dealbreakers for me. It does not charge while syncing & has a proprietary connector--not the standard mini-usb. Samsung hardly ever releases updates/upgrades and there are no custom roms for existing samsung PPCs as they don't release updaters like the RUUs. The extend of hacking for existing samsungs like the i730 is getting a2dp to work, so say goodbye to making custom roms and doing what you want with the phone. The send and end buttons are on the slide part of the phone, so when you hit the send button to make a call, the whole slide moves with it.

Initially I fell in love with the phone, but the above things made me get rid of it.

Before criticizing someone, first walk a mile in his shoes...
Then when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910

phoenx06 is keeping up the good workphoenx06 is keeping up the good work
hardware wise, no question, the i760 is just plain out a better device. However, for the same reasons verizonguy got rid of his, there is limited developement support for samsung devices. There hasn't been nearly as much progress in custom roms, apps, or flashing in general with the i760 as htc devices has.
Make sure you give props to all those who keep this site running, as well as those who provide all those ever-so-useful ROMs and applications. If someone helps you out, or answers a question of yours, be sure to click the "Thanks" button.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Lurker

lucideye is a n00b
i got my i760 today after years of the xv6700 and xv6600.. I was using helmi kitchen.

Speed is incomparible. It's like pentium 4 versus 486.. Apps are much snappier on i760, and it's worked very well.

the i760 seems to be a well tested product. it's sturdier than the HTC counterparts, and i don't think I could go back to not having dialing buttons on the front.. comes in so handy for checking voicemail, autoattendants, etc.

Yeah, the camera is not so hot, but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, and I have a camera. I need a reliable phone.

Two gripes with the 760

1. Why the hell couldn't they use a Mini USB connector for cable like everyone else.

2. Really hard to get used to where buttons are on phone. Start button should be on front of phone.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Threadstarter

stickythumbs is a n00b
All of you - thanks so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I certainly wasn't expecting so much so soon! I will probably grab another 6700 - I really like having a kitchen and being able to customize whenever necessary (or whenever I feel like it, whichever comes first). Again, thanks for taking the time to help!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

unitypunk is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to unitypunk Send a message via MSN to unitypunk
6700 is better by far

lol
(RIP)Xv-6700 #7
(POS)Pantech Pn-820 (dead, and proud of it. lol)
(Current)Vzw Touch Pro
http://unity.hopto.org
Old 11-07-2007, 03:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: VZW

nemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to nemanracing
I, similar to verizonguy got the i760, and sold it for many of the same reasons. It was not really an upgrade considering everything we are doing with the htc products...
History:XV6850 WM6.5,PPC6850 WM6.5 on VZW,XV6850 WM6.1/Telus Radio,VZW Omnia,XV6900 WM6.1/GPS/RevA,XV6800 WM6.1/GPS/RevA,XV6700 WM6,Samsung i760,Moto Q9m,Moto Q,XV6700,VZW Treo 700WX,Treo 700W,Samsung i730,XV6600,Treo 650,Treo 600,Kyocera 7135
Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700, Helmi wm6.1 ROM
Carrier: verizon

rawdeadfish is a n00b
You should hold out for the 6800 out on verizon in a couple weeks. Looks to be reasonably updated hardware from the 6700, internal antenna, more ROM, better camera (??), WM6, microSD. IF you have to get a new phone, might as well get the latest...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development