PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon

PRSPower is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Converting CAB to OEM when there is no Registry entries

I have a CAB file I am trying to convert to an OEM. I am following the "Apache Kitchen Walkthrough r1.0.pdf included in the latest Kitchen.

My question is this: The CAB I am trying to convert does not have any Registry entries and therefore I can not create a .REG file, change it to and RGU file per the instructions. There fore at the end of the process I do not have an RGU file in my OEM folder to rename with the UUID. Will this cause problems? or Should I make a blank RGU file?

Oh, ya, and a big thanks to everyone on the Kitchen team and to BigJ for writing up the "Walkthrough"

Last edited by PRSPower; 11-06-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Added a thank you
Old 11-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

JBabey is just getting started
Send a message via ICQ to JBabey Send a message via AIM to JBabey Send a message via MSN to JBabey Send a message via Yahoo to JBabey Send a message via Skype™ to JBabey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSPower View Post
I have a CAB file I am trying to convert to an OEM. I am following the "Apache Kitchen Walkthrough r1.0.pdf included in the latest Kitchen.

My question is this: The CAB I am trying to convert does not have any Registry entries and therefore I can not create a .REG file, change it to and RGU file per the instructions. There fore at the end of the process I do not have an RGU file in my OEM folder to rename with the UUID. Will this cause problems? or Should I make a blank RGU file?

Oh, ya, and a big thanks to everyone on the Kitchen team and to BigJ for writing up the "Walkthrough"
no problem, and thanks!

anyways, if there are no entries whatsoever (even after you install the program.. for exporting) then yes, make a blank .rgu file with the same name as the UID you are using for that package and it will build fine.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP
If it has no REG entries, I often just leave the .rgu out. That hasn't caused problems either. The .dsm must be there, though.

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
Old 11-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

PRSPower is a n00b
Thanks Yuma and BigJ. Got a couple of OEMs of my own to work. Also figured out the "OEM_Helper.exe" that was right under my nose. That thing makes it a breeze. Glad I did it the long manual way first because now I understand what the OEM_Helper is doing for me automatically.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Ditch Doctor
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

GaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
How does the OEM helper work? Do your just drag your cab over and drop or what?

Feel free to if choose to do so.
My ROM for Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, US Cellular and Cricket 20931 Base!!

The THANKS button is over there------------------------------------------------>
Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

PRSPower is a n00b
The way I am using OEM_Helper.exe is this:
(Taken from BigJ's Apache Kitchen Walkthrough + some blind stumbling on my part)

1. Use WinCE CAB Manger to Export Files to a properly named OEM folder (example Optional_YWReader_v2.51(11-6-07) )
2. Use WinCE CAB Manager to File>Export>Export to Reg... the Registry entries (I export the REG file to a folder other than the properly named folder stated above.
3. Fire up OEM_Helper.exe
4. Browse to the properly named OEM folder that you created. This is for the "Exsiting OEM Folder:" area.
5. Paste the contents of the REG file you Exported in step 2 into the "RGU File" area
6. Map the executable in the "InitFlash File" area
7. Fill in the "OEM Name:" area and the "OEM Description:" area
8. Click Generate

Now your OEM folder will have a .dsm, .rgu, initflashfiles.txt, and option.xml files, in addition to the files you exported in step 1

At this point copy your OEM folder into the C:\BuildOS\USER_OEM folder

Run BuildOS and you should see your OEM listed.

I may be way off on how all this works, but the above process has worked like a champ for me on two CAB files that I wanted as OEM's. It did not however work on the threading app that must not be named, so I decided to just keep that CAB on my miniSD and install it after the flash.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

superevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSPower View Post
The way I am using OEM_Helper.exe is this:
(Taken from BigJ's Apache Kitchen Walkthrough + some blind stumbling on my part)

1. Use WinCE CAB Manger to Export Files to a properly named OEM folder (example Optional_YWReader_v2.51(11-6-07) )
2. Use WinCE CAB Manager to File>Export>Export to Reg... the Registry entries (I export the REG file to a folder other than the properly named folder stated above.
3. Fire up OEM_Helper.exe
4. Browse to the properly named OEM folder that you created. This is for the "Exsiting OEM Folder:" area.
5. Paste the contents of the REG file you Exported in step 2 into the "RGU File" area
6. Map the executable in the "InitFlash File" area
7. Fill in the "OEM Name:" area and the "OEM Description:" area
8. Click Generate

Now your OEM folder will have a .dsm, .rgu, initflashfiles.txt, and option.xml files, in addition to the files you exported in step 1

At this point copy your OEM folder into the C:\BuildOS\USER_OEM folder

Run BuildOS and you should see your OEM listed.

I may be way off on how all this works, but the above process has worked like a champ for me on two CAB files that I wanted as OEM's. It did not however work on the threading app that must not be named, so I decided to just keep that CAB on my miniSD and install it after the flash.
hmmm very cool.. so where does one get this oemhelper program =]
Old 11-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Kolano is becoming a great contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by superevilllama View Post
It can be found in the OEMizer thread.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6700Yuma View Post
If it has no REG entries, I often just leave the .rgu out. That hasn't caused problems either. The .dsm must be there, though.
Correct. An .rgu file is not required if there are no reg entries to be created/changed.

You will get build warnings/errors if the .dsm is not present or is incorrect (ie, copied from another module without builddsm having been run).
Old 11-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

PRSPower is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by superevilllama View Post
C:\BuildOS\Help & Support Files\OEM_Helper.exe

It is installed by default when you install the WM6 kitchen.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development