PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700

h8train is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
xv6700 WM6 powers off when idle (display off)

Hi all I recently bought an xv6700 on ebay refurbished. Got it all stock from factory, upgraded to helmi's kitchen 1.0.4 the same night, then a couple days later (last night) upgraded to helmi's WM6, now when the display turns off after a while the 6700 powers off, what I need to know is if this is somthing to do with WM6 rom i put on or if the phone is defective as I have 30 days to return for an exchange for another 6700. I have gone through all the settings adn the phone is NOT set to shut off/power down after idle for any period of time, and the batery has plenty of charge.

I am new to PPC, this is my first. and being a general hacker I MUST mod everything I own lol. What can I try or investigate to determine if this is because of the ROM i have on it or if it is a defective phone and get myself an exchange before 30 days is up? or are there any registy entry's I can edit to tell the system to never power off unless the batery dies or I pull off a 4 button combo?

Should I try an restore back to factory default WM5 i guess it is from here http://www.utstar.com/pcd/phone_down...zon%20Wireless

or should i try a different kitchen/OS/home brew or what ever it is? with that said what seems to be the most stable / Fastest ROM for the apache? your opinions are needed.

Props to all of you helpfull ppl here at ppcgeeks and Thank You for your responses.

Rich
Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Apache + HTC Diamond
Carrier: Cellular South

the18thtee is just getting started
Start Menu -> Settings -> System -> Power -> Advanced
Uncheck "Turn off device if not used for"
Soft-reset
See if the setting stays applied
I know you said you checked all of the settings, but I just want to make sure that you didnt overlook the obvious becuase this is not a bug that has been reported so far.
It doesnt sound like a defective phone because it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, which is backlight off - delay - power off, but this is all controlled by software, not hardware. I would try a hardreset and/or a reflash of the wm6 rom. Should solve the problem.
4. Give THANKS to those who deserve it!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

h8train is a n00b
Thank you for your reply.
I have set the >power>advanced to NEVER turnoff device. I have soft reset the device a few times adn the setting sticks every time.
I have HARD reset the device with WM6 once maybe twice, and am still haveing this problem. I will re-flash the WM6 adn see if this helps anything.

as for the "this is all controlled by software, not hardware" it is NOT possible for a hardware defect to cause the powering down???

Also could there just be somthing stupid like the wireless is trying to connect to a wireless AP while im trying to bring the device out of "sleep" mode or somthing like that? I have WLAN turned off in "CommManager" so it shouldnt even be enabled, but I just want to make sure I take into effect every aspect before I decide to return the device.

as i said i recieved the device on friday the 12th so I have 30 days from then to get myself an exchange from the seller.

Again thanks for any help you all can provide and than you the18thtee for your response.

Thanks

Rich
Old 10-18-2007, 03:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Apache + HTC Diamond
Carrier: Cellular South

the18thtee is just getting started
When you say "powering down" what exactly are you saying? When you hit the power button, does the phone boot like on a soft-reset or just instantly show the today screen?
I doubt a wireless issue would cause the device to power down. If anything, it would wake the device trying to find an AP.
If the device is powering all the way down, not just going into a "suspend" state, then yes, it is possible (and probable) that the hardware is defective.
If the device is just going into suspend, then it is more than likely a software issue.
Let me know how the reflash goes and dont forget to hard reset, reflash, skip carrier customizations.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

h8train is a n00b
I mean that when I attempt to hit the power button to turn the screen back on like normal it does nothing and I end up having to press and hold the power button to turn the phone back on, and it boots like a normal soft reset.

I have today I reflashed the device, hard reset, then soft resset when it attempts to install/update carrier info. and it seems to be working ok so far, but I will let you know how things work out.

Thanks again

Rich
Old 10-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

h8train is a n00b
Well i had a pretty decent day, then had my device on the cradle for about 3 hours and then just took it off and it powered itself off. when i power it on it starts like a soft reset and comes up with the "windows mobile" screen with the circles on the bottom adn just freezes there.
I am going to try a different rom adn reflash it once more adn test with that.

Im going for Helmi Apache WM6 verizonguy edition devel4

Does any one have any feedback on this? what are your feelings about verizonguys wm6?

Thanks

Rich
Old 10-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

h8train is a n00b
Update

Well I fixed the problem. My solution..... call my 3rd party insurance company and get a replacement. Well it worked this new one works perfectly. all though I just upgraded it to the clean no junk WM6 and realized that robmayer (I think, sorry) removed MMS, so I have a question for you all...

Anyone have any recommendations for a stable MMS program? all I need to be able to do is send pix and flix, don't need any bells and whistles just stable MMS.

Thanks all,

Rich

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development