PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC 7 Trophy

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 03:48 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
2 Custom roms available for the VZW Trophy...Thoughts ?

The Verizon Trophy area here is dead, like most of the Wp7 area here, I figure it's time to "spark" it up a little (get it ? The Trophy is the HTC Spark_W).

Now 2 custom, full unlock with Internet sharing and all the other fun stuff is now available. With easy to do directions, if you wanted to hack your phone to do anything (unlimited sideload, root tools, file explore, etc), it's a great time to have the trophy.

I have done of it over the weekend, Internet Sharing works, tons of sideloaded apps, even one that changes the background colors to custom ones (not just black and white any more).

If you remember the Windows Mobile days of new roms all the time with features, we are almost there... The rom I am running has Tango in it, yes, the unreleased (version 8773).

Note: You will be Nuking your phone back to stock, so make sure you backup your data. Spend your time reading, as it's not that hard, if you do not follow the directions, you could brick your device (but rare).

This is the quick run down of how it's done.
1.You need a boot loader at a lower level, so if you have the newest build of 8107, you'll need to downgrade with a factory rom.
2. Then you install DFT's Unlocker.(to unlock your phone)
3. Install custom rom
4. Optional, install newer Radio (the newest one seems to be the best for signal/battery)

To Note, you can go back to factory if you want, DFT's unlocker, has a relocker on it, so you can return to factory if you want.

All info/links are on XDA, so this should be a good starting point for you.

Links to get you started...

How to with Details (if your on XDA, Make sure you hit thanks or donate)
[HOWTO] Use DFT HSPL with Verizon Trophy (SparkW only!) [Revised 3-14-2012] - xda-developers

Roms:
1. Ansar's Tango custom rom (I am running this rom)
[16.4.2012][NT 8773 18L 3La 3Lb]Spark_W_ML_51260502_R_153000802_2316w0506U by ansar - xda-developers

2. DFT's Custom (8107) Rom.
software version 7.10.8107.79 DFT ROM FOR SPAR-W VERIZON VERSION OF THE TROPHY - xda-developers

Radio's for the Spark_w (VzW trophy)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1546287

Now, I would suggest to spend some time reading about each rom as they have minor issues, like DFT's you can't dial #228 or Hard reset and Zune tends to pop up with a update that you can't install. Ansar's changes the back button (to go to call history) but, with a quick sideload, it's fixed back to stock.

The whole process after you have downloaded everything takes about an hour and you'll love what you can do. You'll spend more time downloading the roms you need than actually installing it (at least it seemed that way to me)

I was runing my laptop with the Internet Sharing and I have every cool hack I want installed...

I look forward to the days when the Kitchen comes back

Thoughts and your results ?

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 04-25-2012, 03:52 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: 2 Custom roms available for the VZW Trophy...Thoughts ?

How to backup your Data and restore...

Download this...(again, read directions)
[TOOL] WP7 Easy Backup Tool (BETA) - xda-developers

You'll need the Windows Phone 7 support tools (link on the thread above) and the newest version of Zune.

This tricks Zune to think there is an upgrade, to take a backup of your device (backs up everything but, media, music and videos do not get backed up).

once backed up the file is stored in(win7)
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update

To restore, just open up the program and and click restore (it will restore the image at the location above).

Something to note and READ !!!
If you use the factory rom from above, it will restore you back to 7392 (NoDo), if you attempt to restore, IT WILL FAIL. You need to be at almost the same level. If you were restoring a 8107 backup, you need to be on Mango at least or it will fail. This could result in installing the factory rom, and upgrading to 7740 (mango) then restoring. Just a heads up....

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-25-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

that was one thing I hated about custom ROMS, most of them would change the components of the OS that needed to stay stock (hardware button functions, taskbar icons etc) but I'm glad that they're now custom roms on WP, gives people less things to bash WP for.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:36 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
that was one thing I hated about custom ROMS, most of them would change the components of the OS that needed to stay stock (hardware button functions, taskbar icons etc) but I'm glad that they're now custom roms on WP, gives people less things to bash WP for.
Atleast it's a quck fix if you want to change back, or even something else.

Just about every first gen WP7 device has a custom rom now. When I can tether, like I can now, it's awsome.

I can't wait till we get a PPCkitchen for WP7.....

I've been running the custom rom for a few days now, battery and everything else is perfectly smooth and no issues.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:29 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PPC-6900
Carrier: Sprint

failito is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Hi, does anyone know if you can flash the Verizon Trophy to Sprint?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:34 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by failito View Post
Hi, does anyone know if you can flash the Verizon Trophy to Sprint?
To Flash, no... ESN changes...Maybe
Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Lurker

failito is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
To Flash, no... ESN changes...Maybe
Interesting, what does an ESN change require? Is it a similar process to what people were doing to get sprint/verizon and other CDMA phones to work with Cricket? I thought that was called "flashing". Thanks.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Interesting, what does an ESN change require? Is it a similar process to what people were doing to get sprint/verizon and other CDMA phones to work with Cricket? I thought that was called "flashing". Thanks.
CDMA phones have a electronic serial number, aka ESN number. It's what when you get a call, the celll towers look for. A ESN changes changes the serial number from one phone to another. It's not very legal to do, as people used to be able to "clone a phone" and have 2 phones on the same serial number. It's a federal law as I understand.

Flashing is just the software on the phone. Cricket is a phone whore(excuse the term), it will take any phone and use it (well as long as you have a unlock code), Flashing to Cricket changes the settings like their servers and software needed on their network.

If you want info on ESN changes, your in the wrong place, you wont get that here...because it's it's not very legal. That would really be the only way as Verizon or SPrint would not activate another carriers phone.

These custom roms will fully unlock your phones but will not change your carrier...

Good luck but, if I was on Sprint, I would just get a Arrive...It's almost the same phone, WITH a keyboard (specs by the numbers besides tiny bit smaller display are exact). THey have custom roms for the Arrive (AKA The HTC Gold_C). Ive seen used ones go on ebay for $100-175 with no contract.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:34 AM
Lurker

failito is a n00b

Thanks for the info, yes I looked into the Arrive but I really don't want a physical keyboard and extra bulk. I was hoping I'd be able to unlock a Verizon Trophy to use on Sprint, looks like I'll be getting an Arrive or maybe just wait and hope Sprint offers a W8 phone later this year.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:33 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Thanks for the info, yes I looked into the Arrive but I really don't want a physical keyboard and extra bulk. I was hoping I'd be able to unlock a Verizon Trophy to use on Sprint, looks like I'll be getting an Arrive or maybe just wait and hope Sprint offers a W8 phone later this year.
Try to find one out of contract if you can. With the big press statement, Windows Phone 8 is comming out in fall. WP7 devices wont be able to handle it and not get the upgrade.

It's a great OS but, moving forward they needs some major changes

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC 7 Trophy