PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC 7 Trophy (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=309)
-   -   Can the Verizon HTC Trophy connect with PDAnet? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149105)

phain 02-12-2012 01:55 PM

Can the Verizon HTC Trophy connect with PDAnet?

I'm sorry for my ignorance with windows phone 7, but I am a windows mobile 6.5 user that switched to android for the droid x2. I was satisfied until google released the details on their new privacy policy.

My question is:
Can the Verizon HTC Trophy connect with PDAnet?
OR
Is there ANY way to connect my windows 7 laptop to this phone?

Thank you for the information!

eric12341 02-12-2012 05:49 PM

Re: Can the Verizon HTC Trophy connect with PDAnet?

Well since the mango update WP now supports tethering via WiFi but since its such a carrier controlled feature its up to the carrier to enable it. So far the only carrier in the US that has done this is T-mobile.

phain 02-12-2012 08:12 PM

Thank you for the response. I'm interested to hear what more have to say about the issue.

Do Verizon customers have any luck? Can't we just spoof the tethering address so Verizon thinks we are browsing from the phone? There has to be a hack for this...

fixxxer2012 02-12-2012 09:39 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; ADR6400L Build/FRG83D; ThunderShed-v1.2_CM7.2.0) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

In my experience wp7 doesnt have all the hacks that wm and android does. If you need tethering you may want to consider a different phone/os.

eric12341 02-12-2012 10:50 PM

Or a different carrier because VZ will not update the trophy to support tethering.

fixxxer2012 02-12-2012 11:53 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Not everyone can afford the efts eric, keep that in mind.

phain 02-13-2012 01:10 PM

It seems as if I'm in a rut then.
Verizon will probably not update the Trophy to support tethering
Plus
I'm looking to escape Android (Google's new privacy policy)
Plus
The Trophy is the only choice for WP7 on Verizon.

Shucks... I really don't want to invest in an iPhone. I've never owned one and the Trophy was much more in my price range.

I would hate to change carriers, but how much is Verizon's early termination fee?
Do you guys have any other suggestions?
Any information on another WP7 on Verizon anytime soon?

eric12341 02-13-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phain (Post 2168568)
It seems as if I'm in a rut then.
Verizon will probably not update the Trophy to support tethering
Plus
I'm looking to escape Android (Google's new privacy policy)
Plus
The Trophy is the only choice for WP7 on Verizon.

Shucks... I really don't want to invest in an iPhone. I've never owned one and the Trophy was much more in my price range.

I would hate to change carriers, but how much is Verizon's early termination fee?
Do you guys have any other suggestions?
Any information on another WP7 on Verizon anytime soon?

@phain well it rumored that VZ will be getting a Nokia with LTE but they turned down the 900, so I don't know. What I do know is that the CDMA carriers are giving WP the shaft. As for the ETF it depends on the device u have and how much time is left of ur contract.

steveo70 02-13-2012 05:09 PM

...plus remember the deal you will get on the new phone. I switched to AT&T and got the Titan for under $150 including phone, ETF, and activation (waived). I left due to no phone choices. I actually pay the same and have better coverage now. Depending on your use, area, and other needs changing may or may not be best for you.

phain 02-14-2012 11:49 AM

Oh I did not realize these expenses could be waived!

Could someone refer me to, in their opinion, the best phone running WP7 (any carrier)? The only thing I require is tethering, fast and fluid operations, and good build quality. I want something that will last and do my work very fast.

A global phone would be a plus, but not required.

Thanks!

eric12341 02-14-2012 02:04 PM

the absolute best phone out right now for WP is the HTC Titan on AT&T but you will probably be paying the same you currently are with VZ otherwise if storage size and screen size isnt an issue you can go with the HTC Radar 4G on T-mobile which has tethering bundled in their plans. can also get an HD7 if screen size and storage is an issue. all of these phones can get what you need done fast.

phain 02-14-2012 09:28 PM

Thank you very much. I tried the Titan today and absolutely loved it but I can't afford ATT's plan and still not have unlimited data... I'm going to try the HD7 next.