PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC 7 Surround

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 12:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

transcend73 is keeping up the good worktranscend73 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anandtech reviews the Surround

I'm intrigued by this phone's speaker system for audio playback. Unfortunately, its performance is underwhelming in a number of areas compared to the iPhone 4 and several Android devices. Browsing response time, battery life and display all seem lackluster. Perhaps WM7 is not yet ready to compete with these platforms?

HTC Surround Review: A Pocket Boombox - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Thoughts?

Last edited by transcend73; 11-13-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

transcend73 is keeping up the good worktranscend73 is keeping up the good work
Re: Anandtech reviews the Surround

If anyone owns one already and would like to comment I'd appreciate it. I'd like to hear your real-world experiences with this phone.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

I've been back and forth on this device. I haven't seen a live one yet, only the fake demo one in the store. I couldn't compare screens, but to me, the Focus felt cheap and the Surround felt solid.

If I decide to pick one up, I'll definitely comment on it.

EDIT: This phone isn't as thick as a TP or TP2 either, but it is thicker than the Focus.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: iPhone 6 Plus Space Gray 128GB Jailbroken

piscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to piscesjoey Send a message via Yahoo to piscesjoey Send a message via Skype™ to piscesjoey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
I've been back and forth on this device. I haven't seen a live one yet, only the fake demo one in the store. I couldn't compare screens, but to me, the Focus felt cheap and the Surround felt solid.

If I decide to pick one up, I'll definitely comment on it.

EDIT: This phone isn't as thick as a TP or TP2 either, but it is thicker than the Focus.
I still haven't seen a live one yet either, and +1 with the Focus feeling cheap, just the same as other Galaxy S devices.

EVO on Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: at&t:HTC Aria waiting for WP7 to Arrive
Carrier: at&t

Oridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I'll have mine some time this week. I'll let you know how it is.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 AM
No charge for Awesomeness

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP

I've played with the Surround, Focus, and Quantum now (in store), so I thought I'd comment.

Now, these phones were tethered to the display, meaning I still don't know what these phones are like in real world situations, so don't take my word as gospel or anything.

HTC 7 Surround - as stated above, this phone is thinner than the TP2, but thicker than the Focus by a few millimeters. The sliding mechanism for the speaker felt solid, but as many others have said, I can't see myself using it very often, maybe to show friends a quick YoutTube video or something.

Actually getting the speaker up is a little bit unnatural to me. I own a Touch Pro 2 so I am used to pushing up on the screen with my thumbs to reveal the keyboard. The Surround has the speaker sliding up the opposite way, meaning you have to either push down on the screen or push up on the back. The motion was a little strange to me and I almost dropped the phone the first time I tried it! I'm sure with time and practice this would be a non-issue, though.

The kickstand works as promised, but seems a little flimsy, which may make this a repair issue after months of use.

One thing I would not recommend (especially if you have your heart set on this device) is looking at it sitting next to the Focus. The Focus may be a little more plasticy, but looking at an LCD screen (like the Surround) sitting next to Samsung's AMOLED screen will immediately make the LCD screen look poor by comparison. Everything will seem washed out, and you will notice the colors fading as you tilt the device.

The OS is buttery smooth, but again, this is not real world conditions, and only stock programs were on the device, but those programs outshine anything currently on the market (in my opinion).

TL,DR: Surround is built like a thinner TP2 with no keyboard. Speaker is only useful in social situations (seriously, if you're by yourself you're going to use headphones, right?) and awkward to engage, and LCD pales in comparison to AMOLED. OS is WP7, so if you liked it in the demo videos, you'll like it in person.

Spread the thanks! Click http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/images/but...ost_thanks.gif if someone helps you!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Retired Staff

Oridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

My fiance just got the Focus, and i'll be getting my HTC Surround some time soon. I love both devices, and both devices have their benefits. I personally don't think the HTC's screen is bad, so if your phone experience ISN'T all about picture quality, then you may want to weigh in some of the other features before just jumping to the focus.

As far as i'm concerned, I can see myself using the speaker quite a bit, since I don't like to carry around headphones with me, and playing games or watching youtube with decent sound that's directed at me instead of away makes for a pretty good feature in a "lets waste some time" situation.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Telus

jax2k3 is a n00b

I have HTC Surround from Telus.... love the device, just missing features that is based on the WP7, not the device. The device is amazing, a little heavy but it makes the phone not feel cheap. As for the battery, it is bad but not as bad as Touch Pro 2 using Stock Rom. In addition, the battery charge is excellent.. a Full charge is 2 to 2.5 hours... If you have further questions, just PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:22 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

Thickness aside on the Surround folks....what's the weight like? I left a TP2 and moved to an Omnia II a little while back. I have not looked back! I love the thinness, but I also love the light weight...compared to the TP2. I just couldn't go back to something anywhere near that weight again.

I'm looking at the LG Optimus 7 (Telus) or LG Optimus Quantum (Bell) but I'd honestly prefer not to go "LG". Any comments? The only alternative right now in Canada is the Samsung Focus...but I'd have to buy that outright @ CDN$549!!!

EDIT: I guess this kinda answers my LG question ...

Last edited by CovKid66; 11-16-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Retired Staff

The Surround has some heaft to it. The Focus is going to be the lightest option. Even the LG devices have some heaft to them.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC 7 Surround