PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > GSM iPhone Development

Notices

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
[How-To} Unlock Your GSM iPhone to use on Other Carriers!

You must be jailbroken to do this. If you are not, go HERE to learn how!

If you are on not on ATT and want to use a GSM iPhone that is locked to ATT, then this is the thread for you.

Let's clear up a couple of definitions:

Note: The bootloader is not the same thing as the baseband.

baseband - basically the generic name given to the internal software components of the iPhone that handle the phone calls and Internet access.

bootloader - basically software that loads either the baseband or operating system into memory before execution.

On almost any iPhone that is jailbroken, you can also carrier unlock it. to check your baseband version go to Settings > General > About and scroll down to Modem Version - that will be your baseband.

If your baseband is 5.14.02 (2G, 3G, 3GS) or 2.10.04 (iPhone 4) you can very easily unlock your iPhone. This would be for firmware versions 4.02 and below.

Open Cydia and search for "ultrasn0w"

Once you find it install the app, afterwards your phone WILL be unlocked for any carrier.

Do not update your phone because it will take away your unlock.

If you are on a 3G or a 3GS and your baseband is above 5.14.02, you CAN currently still unlock, but this is irreversible and Apple will know you did it because you are going to flash an iPad baseband that cannot be removed at this time!

So you better be out of warranty

What you need to do is run the redsn0w version that fits your current firmware. Find the IPSW specified for that firmware.

Now ONLY click on "update to the 6.15.00 baseband" option, this will flash the new baseband. NOW you can run "ultrasn0w" from Cydia to unlock

It works very well, but has been known to cause some GPS issues. Remember currently you cannot undo this, but it is the only way to unlock your iPhone.

Currently iPhone 4 with baseband 2.10.04 or above cannot be unlocked, sorry. I will update you as soon as the unlock comes!

post in this thread if you have any questions or issues.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Virtually, I am a Ppc
Pocket PC: SAMSUNG EPIC 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Hypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: [How-To} Unlock Your GSM iPhone to use on Other Carriers!

Ok, Thanks for the writeup OrangeKid.

So I have a 3GS that I need to unlock for other carriers like T-mobile.
It is currently running IOS 4.3.5, with modem firmware 05.16.02.

Please let me know if Ive got this right,
I dont want the tethered Jailbreak so,
-First I will need to downgrade to the latest supported untethered jailbreak which is 4.3.3 using Redsnow with the 4.3.3 Ipsw, and choose the update to the 6.15.00 baseband" option.
-Lastly I would run "ultrasn0w" from Cydia to unlock.
Does this sound the the right procedure, or am I missing anything?

Thanks again OrangeKid!

**Got Lasers?? Check out our site for shows and equipment:
http://www.ctlasers.com/

-A quick thanks always helps!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV-6700,XV-6800, Iphone 3GS-32gig, 4S 64gig, 5
Carrier: Verizon - ATT

sdruid is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to sdruid Send a message via MSN to sdruid Send a message via Yahoo to sdruid Send a message via Skype™ to sdruid

A friend of mine has an iphone which I believe is with ATT and would like to know if it could be unlocked to work with MetroPCS ?

Thanks...
Old 09-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

isn't Metro CDMA?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:30 PM
shawnfromhertz

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

hi i have a ? and dont know if this is the right spot for this but any way i was wondering i have a sprint 4s which is what is the sim card for in my iphone i take it out and phone still works turn off the phone reboot and still works so i also want to know could i use the sprint sim for an unlocked ipad???

ps.if this is not the right spot for this admins please move or remove thanks inavance.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:49 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: vodafone

markwallk is a n00b

Hey friend this one is awesome and wonderful information that you have provide me. I have iPhone 4 with jail break. I will use this one and now i would like to unlock this. Thank you for sharing this articles.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: DELL
Carrier: Vodafone

yogiram is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnfromhertz View Post
hi i have a ? and dont know if this is the right spot for this but any way i was wondering i have a sprint 4s which is what is the sim card for in my iphone i take it out and phone still works turn off the phone reboot and still works so i also want to know could i use the sprint sim for an unlocked ipad???

ps.if this is not the right spot for this admins please move or remove thanks inavance.
Hi, Yes, you can use any SIM with the unlocked Phones. If you need to unlock any GSM phone you can see the free unlocking instructions at mobileunlockguide.com
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV-6700,XV-6800, Iphone 3GS-32gig, 4S 64gig, 5
Carrier: Verizon - ATT

sdruid is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to sdruid Send a message via MSN to sdruid Send a message via Yahoo to sdruid Send a message via Skype™ to sdruid
Question Re: [How-To} Unlock Your GSM iPhone to use on Other Carriers!

I have an iphone 4S from AT&T that i don't use anymore since I upgraded to a iphone 5
and it is not active on any carrier at the moment but I would like to re-activate it, unlock it and use it on Tmobile. Do i onlly need to unlock it ? Can i unlock a phone that has no carrier service ? it is running IOS 6.0.....and modem firmware 3.0.0.4
64 gig - black...

thanks..

PPCGeeks > iPhone > GSM iPhone Development