PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > GSM iPhone Development

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
IMPORTANT! Do not update firmware if Jailbroken/Unlocked!!!

When upgrades/updates come out for your device, do not do an official upgrade if you are jailbroken/unlocked. You will probably lost these capabilities and sometimes will not be able to get them back! Just stay tuned for a "safe"upgrade which will preserver your JB/Unlock.

So the rule is:

IF YOU ARE JAILBROKEN/UNLOCKED, NEVER NEVER NEVER DO AN OFFICIAL APPLE UPDATE UNLESS THE HOW-TO HAS A JAILBREAK FOR YOUR FIRMWARE AND AND UNLOCK FOR YOUR BASEBAND.

Last edited by orangekid; 06-22-2010 at 01:48 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: IMPORTANT! Do not update firmware if Jailbroken/Unlocked!!!

The new 4.1 iOS has a new baseband which CANNOT BE UNLOCKED! do not update to this firmware if you're on a 3G or 3GS!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: my own build
Carrier: tellus

tigger1205 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Hello, hows it going eh?
Say that some one (me) did do this to a 8gb iphone? And have attempted to take it back to the older OS by itunes back up. That didn't work. due to the phone will not recognize the sim card, (Rogers, Canada) The phone is from the USA. And was unlocked. We took the new iphone update and now it dont work. Good for 911 calls and thats it. It's a brick.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1205 View Post
Hello, hows it going eh?
Say that some one (me) did do this to a 8gb iphone? And have attempted to take it back to the older OS by itunes back up. That didn't work. due to the phone will not recognize the sim card, (Rogers, Canada) The phone is from the USA. And was unlocked. We took the new iphone update and now it dont work. Good for 911 calls and thats it. It's a brick.
exactly what firmware did you downgrade to?

no matter what firmware you are on, there is a jaillbreak and unlock tool for you.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: IPhone 4G to Iphone 5
Carrier: Sprint PCS

BBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuff

It's a shame that people would risk bricking their iphone rather than paying .99 for an app. and whats even worst is that there are tons of free apps.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBHOLIDAY View Post
It's a shame that people would risk bricking their iphone rather than paying .99 for an app. and whats even worst is that there are tons of free apps.
what are you talking about?

1) an iPhone is almost impossible to brick, I've never heard of an iPhone bricked because of a jailbreak.

2) people jailbreak their iphones for so many reasons other than "free apps" (which we don't allow warez talk on the site anyways). Like actually being able to customize their phones, change the background on a 3G, use facetime over 3G, themes, use iphone in portrait mode, and many many many more mods you can't do unless jailbroken.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: my own build
Carrier: tellus

tigger1205 is a n00b

upgrade to 4.0.1
Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1205 View Post
upgrade to 4.0.1
DO NOT DO AN OFFICIAL ITUNES UPDATE. it will update to 4.0.2

if you DO do this, you can still jailbreak iPhone 3G and iTouch thru redsn0w, but redsn0w sucks for jailbreaking iPhone 3G on os 4+,

Jailbreakme.com does not work on 4.02, if you have a 3GS or iPhone 4, you will be screwed!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: IPHONE 3GS
Carrier: AT@T

amorcito is a n00b

yes..my iphone 3gs is unlocked and jailbroken and i saw that their is an update...but i haven't done it..i did see in cydia that there is a patch for the PDF EXPOLIT... should i install that from cydia...since that is what the update is for from apple...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Sprint

fozmsu is keeping up the good workfozmsu is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorcito View Post
yes..my iphone 3gs is unlocked and jailbroken and i saw that their is an update...but i haven't done it..i did see in cydia that there is a patch for the PDF EXPOLIT... should i install that from cydia...since that is what the update is for from apple...

Yes get the PDF patch from Cydia. I am pretty sure they work in different ways though. The one from Cydia makes a pop up asking permission to view pdf's and I believe the Apple update removes the security flaw all together. If you are going to remain jailbroken then you should most definitly get the pdf patch.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > GSM iPhone Development