PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   GSM iPhone Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   IMPORTANT! Do not update firmware if Jailbroken/Unlocked!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119724)

orangekid 04-30-2010 01:31 PM

IMPORTANT! Do not update firmware if Jailbroken/Unlocked!!!

When upgrades/updates come out for your device, do not do an official upgrade if you are jailbroken/unlocked. You will probably lost these capabilities and sometimes will not be able to get them back! Just stay tuned for a "safe"upgrade which will preserver your JB/Unlock.

So the rule is:

IF YOU ARE JAILBROKEN/UNLOCKED, NEVER NEVER NEVER DO AN OFFICIAL APPLE UPDATE UNLESS THE HOW-TO HAS A JAILBREAK FOR YOUR FIRMWARE AND AND UNLOCK FOR YOUR BASEBAND.

orangekid 07-30-2010 01:24 PM

Re: IMPORTANT! Do not update firmware if Jailbroken/Unlocked!!!

The new 4.1 iOS has a new baseband which CANNOT BE UNLOCKED! do not update to this firmware if you're on a 3G or 3GS!!!

tigger1205 08-11-2010 04:40 PM

Hello, hows it going eh?
Say that some one (me) did do this to a 8gb iphone? And have attempted to take it back to the older OS by itunes back up. That didn't work. due to the phone will not recognize the sim card, (Rogers, Canada) The phone is from the USA. And was unlocked. We took the new iphone update and now it dont work. Good for 911 calls and thats it. It's a brick.

orangekid 08-12-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigger1205 (Post 1907697)
Hello, hows it going eh?
Say that some one (me) did do this to a 8gb iphone? And have attempted to take it back to the older OS by itunes back up. That didn't work. due to the phone will not recognize the sim card, (Rogers, Canada) The phone is from the USA. And was unlocked. We took the new iphone update and now it dont work. Good for 911 calls and thats it. It's a brick.

exactly what firmware did you downgrade to?

no matter what firmware you are on, there is a jaillbreak and unlock tool for you.

BBHOLIDAY 08-12-2010 09:52 AM

It's a shame that people would risk bricking their iphone rather than paying .99 for an app. and whats even worst is that there are tons of free apps. :angry7:

orangekid 08-12-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBHOLIDAY (Post 1908448)
It's a shame that people would risk bricking their iphone rather than paying .99 for an app. and whats even worst is that there are tons of free apps. :angry7:

what are you talking about?

1) an iPhone is almost impossible to brick, I've never heard of an iPhone bricked because of a jailbreak.

2) people jailbreak their iphones for so many reasons other than "free apps" (which we don't allow warez talk on the site anyways). Like actually being able to customize their phones, change the background on a 3G, use facetime over 3G, themes, use iphone in portrait mode, and many many many more mods you can't do unless jailbroken.

tigger1205 08-12-2010 05:05 PM

upgrade to 4.0.1

orangekid 08-12-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigger1205 (Post 1909031)
upgrade to 4.0.1

DO NOT DO AN OFFICIAL ITUNES UPDATE. it will update to 4.0.2

if you DO do this, you can still jailbreak iPhone 3G and iTouch thru redsn0w, but redsn0w sucks for jailbreaking iPhone 3G on os 4+,

Jailbreakme.com does not work on 4.02, if you have a 3GS or iPhone 4, you will be screwed!

amorcito 08-12-2010 10:04 PM

yes..my iphone 3gs is unlocked and jailbroken and i saw that their is an update...but i haven't done it..i did see in cydia that there is a patch for the PDF EXPOLIT... should i install that from cydia...since that is what the update is for from apple...

fozmsu 08-13-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amorcito (Post 1909342)
yes..my iphone 3gs is unlocked and jailbroken and i saw that their is an update...but i haven't done it..i did see in cydia that there is a patch for the PDF EXPOLIT... should i install that from cydia...since that is what the update is for from apple...

Yes get the PDF patch from Cydia. I am pretty sure they work in different ways though. The one from Cydia makes a pop up asking permission to view pdf's and I believe the Apple update removes the security flaw all together. If you are going to remain jailbroken then you should most definitly get the pdf patch.