PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > GSM iPhone Development
Register Community Search

Notices

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: [How To] Essential jailbreak/unlock/ssh thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ha$oN View Post
well i am purchasing this 3GS from someone i know and i am pretty sure they have never jailbroken or unlocked it ever. It is running 3.1.3 which now i understand can be unlocked but when i saw that baseband there i wanted to know if i can update to iOS4 and still be unlocked to use with any carrier.

Thank you very much for your fast response it is much appreciated
No problem

go ahead and buy the phone, use Spirit to Jailbreak and unlock the 5.12.01 baseband like shown,

in less than a week I will have an easy way to jailbreak iOS 4 on the 3GS, then you can unlock the 5.13.04 baseband as well.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G - Rooted
Carrier: Sprint

El Ha$oN is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to El Ha$oN

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
No problem

go ahead and buy the phone, use Spirit to Jailbreak and unlock the 5.12.01 baseband like shown,

in less than a week I will have an easy way to jailbreak iOS 4 on the 3GS, then you can unlock the 5.13.04 baseband as well.
I am not buying this for myself tho but as a gift. so do I need a sim card installed to do any of this jailbreaking or unlocking?

also once it is unlocked that means it can be used on any GSM carrier anywhere in the world...right?

For instance in the Dominican Republic on Orange Mobile.

Last edited by El Ha$oN; 06-22-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ha$oN View Post
I am not buying this for myself tho but as a gift. so do I need a sim card installed to do any of this jailbreaking or unlocking?

also once it is unlocked that means it can be used on any GSM carrier anywhere in the world...right?

For instance in the Dominican Republic on Orange Mobile.
you can use ANY sim to activate it and once unlocked you can use it on ANY GSM carrier on the planet (and mars)
Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2
Carrier: Telus

O'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Yahoo to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Skype™ to O'Neil Mitchell

Quote:

To Jailbreak iOS 4.0 on an iPhone 3G (with multitasking support) do this: (also works on iPod touch 1st and 2nd generation)

1) Make sure you have iTunes 9.2 downloaded and installed.

2) Download the iOS 4 for iPhone 3G IPSW file from here

3) update your iPhone 3G to iOS 4 by opening iTunes, holding shift and pressing update then pointing towards the IPSW file you just downloaded.

4) Download redsn0w 0.9.5b5-3 for windows here, or for Mac here

5) Start up redsn0w and aim it at the IPSW file you downloaded and used to update on #3.

6) Now hit install cydia and click on next

7) Now before continuing, turn OFF your device and make sure it is plugged into your computer via USB cable (it tells you on screen to do this too), then hit next

Follow the on-screen instructions on going into recovery, and wait while redsn0w jailbreaks your device for you. After-wards you will see you now have a Jailbroken iPhone.

note: if you open Cydia and it is just a white screen, go to Sources > edit > add and add the repo http://apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7 then restart cydia and you should be good to go. For unlocking on any baseband see below.
Will this method still work if you used the update that was from iTunes. Also to confirm; this will not work for the 3G iPod Touch
Old 06-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Neil Mitchell View Post
Will this method still work if you used the update that was from iTunes

yep, I just confirmed it last night
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 AM
VIP Member

O'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Yahoo to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Skype™ to O'Neil Mitchell

Quote:
Sweet starting now
Old 06-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Neil Mitchell View Post
Sweet starting now
sounds good, the unlock works like a charm too. you don't have to add the repo in cydia, once cydia reloads it will be there as "ultrasn0w .93"
Old 06-23-2010, 10:09 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
I just tried to udpate to the 4.0 with the downloaded file you recommended. It said the "Software not compatible with iPod" Should I just use the update from iTunes. BTW iPhone update and Jailbreak went well, thank you
Old 06-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Threadstarter

Yeah sorry, that is firmware specific to the 3G, I will add DL links to the iPod ipsw later.

you can update your iPod officially.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Yeah sorry, that is firmware specific to the 3G, I will add DL links to the iPod ipsw later.

you can update your iPod officially.
Thanks for the quick response brother

PPCGeeks > iPhone > GSM iPhone Development