PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > Google Nexus One
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: Telus

undisputed1 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nexus One Purchasing experience (ON, Canada)

I was very excited to order my nexus one and as I sit and wait for it to finish it's initial charge I thought it would be good to give anyone that is in the same situation that I was a couple of days ago an idea of how the process went.

I ordered my Nexus One from the Google web store on Sunday, with engraving (+72hrs till shipped). On Tuesday at about 4:40 am pt. I got a notice saying that my card was charged and that my order was shipped. I was given a tracking number and I began hounding the DHL tracking site.

Hoping that being that the order was shipped so early in the day I was of course hoping for the impossible and that it might arrive that day. The shipping origin was only a 9hr drive from Toronto so not impossible. However nothing happened till 7:00 pm, but after that the shipping was quite quick, find detailed tracking below.

The item arrived in Ontario on Wednesday in the morning and was on the delivery truck by around noon. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to make it home in time for the delivery so I called DHL and asked what I was supposed to do. They suggested that I leave a note instructing the delivery guy where to leave the package and sign it and I wouldn't have to worries about it. Being that I live in Canada and have awesome neighbors I asked for it to be left behind a half wall at the front door.

About 15 minutes after talking with DHL they called back and said that there was duty's to pay, I thought awesome service and paid over the phone with a credit card. All's going well, got my Nexus One to Ontario extreamly quickly and everything seemed to be going very smoothly. However, I got home from work at 5:50 to the sight of a yellow note attached to my note on the door F***. I quickly called DHL and asked for a solution, they paged the driver to ask whether he could come back past my house or if he is going back to the depot. after 20 min I called back and was told to call again in 10 min to get an ETA on either the depot or my house. it's now 6:15 and the depot is closed at 7:00 I got in my car and asked my girlfriend to accept the package if the driver decided to come back. I got to the depot with not a second to spare (wrong turn oops). Ahh i had my nexus one and it was a painful drive home I didn't even want to open the package as my hands were dirty from work. I was glad to find that the Nexus One was covered in plastic nicely and my dirt did not make it to the phone when I gave into temptation.

It is now an hour and a half into the charge and it is not done, I have seen on other posts that it takes some where between 1.5 and 2.5 hours.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 Location Time 15 Delivered - Signed for by : Markham - Canada 19:21

14 Delivery attempted; recipient not home Markham - Canada 17:29

13 With delivery courier Markham - Canada 12:29

12 Arrived at Delivery Facility in Markham - Canada Markham - Canada 11:11

11 Departed Facility in Hamilton - Canada Hamilton - Canada 10:11

10 Clearance processing complete at Hamilton - Canada Hamilton - Canada 09:00

9 Clearance delay Hamilton - Canada 08:55

8 Arrived at Sort Facility Hamilton - Canada Hamilton - Canada 08:55

7 Processed for clearance at Hamilton - Canada Hamilton - Canada 08:55

6 Departed Facility in Cincinnati Hub - USA Cincinnati Hub, OH - USA 05:12

5 Processed at Cincinnati Hub - USA Cincinnati Hub, OH - USA 02:11

4 Arrived at Sort Facility Cincinnati Hub - USA Cincinnati Hub, OH - USA 01:22

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 Location Time 3 Departed Facility in Northeast Indianapolis - USA Northeast Indianapolis, IN - USA 22:47

2 Processed at Northeast Indianapolis - USA Northeast Indianapolis, IN - USA 22:47

1 Shipment picked up Northeast Indianapolis, IN - USA 19:01
Old 05-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

undisputed1 is a n00b
Re: Nexus One Purchasing experience (ON, Canada)

Update:

Almost immediately after posting my last post I found i noticed my Nexus One had finished charging so the total initial charge time was about 1.5 hours. After turning on my phone I noticed that I was unable to use the internet. I called Telus and they told me that I had to get a new plan, then 10Pm rolled around and the lady I was talking to pretended that she could no longer hear me and hung up. I guess she was excited to get home, can't blame her but I was pissed.

Today I called again and after talking to support and 2 customer service people they told me that I couldn't use my 2 year old Grandfauthered plan with my new phone for data. My plan is an unlimited plan for everything but voice and also has fav 10. The new plan that would cost me the same as the one that I am currentilly on would be 50% worse on most stuff and even worse for others. No unlimited texts any more 500 MB of data instead of unlimited 100 min not 200, 3 Voice Mails not 10 and so on. Now I was really pissed so while calling Fido to see what they had to offer me I looked it up on Google and found the APN settings for telus's network, entered them in and away it went 3G showed up and my internet is WORKING. hahaha F U Telus. Find below the APN settings for when you also switch to the Nexus One.

APN: sp.telus.com
No username/password
MMS APN: sp.telus.com
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc
MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18:80
Tethering APN: isp.telus.com
Old 05-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

Great posts. Funny how the carriers always tell you that something won't work with you plan, then you go on here or other sites and see where people get it to work.

I hope you enjoy your Nexus One as much as I do. Its the best phone I've ever owned.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:07 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

El Mono is just getting started

I must confess that I enjoyed your story - not your suffering. I can relate to it. First off, I also have a Nexus One and I love it, it is a great phone (beats my Hero any day). Unfortunately Sprint provides the best coverage where I live. AT&T barely offers coverage, but they do have a femto cell (aka :MicroCell) that works wonders so now I can enjoy my phone at home. Enjoy it!
Oh yeah, second - I missed the FedEx delivery guy buy a few minutes and had to drive to the FedEx depot (?) at 18:30 to pick up a phone one time so I know how it feels. The wait can be excrutiating.
El Mono
Old 06-10-2010, 12:57 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

Curious...what did the duties / taxes cost you in total? Also, any updates now you've had it for a few weeks regarding signal quality, issues on Telus, etc?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Bay Area Boss
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

OP loved your story, excellent story telling skills. I love my nexus one also but I have an EVO as well and sprint does actually give better service here as well.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
Google is the next skynet
Old 06-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

undisputed1 is a n00b

Sorry for the late reply, The price details are below.

So far with my nexus one I have had no issues with signal quality what so ever. the 3G is excilent and I even got a 3Mbps upload at one time, but it is usually around 1.5Mbps. The only issue that I have had is that when I was visiting Niagra Falls my data connection turned its self off to protect me from roaming charges from the US towers that it was picking up. I did not try to change any settings to prevent it from using the forign towers.

Also a treat that I got from google the other day was acess to googles navigation, it was previously only avaliable in the USA(and UK i think) but now it is in Canada, and I will say it is incredible deal for free. It really is a good 3D voice navigation system complete with TTS.

I am currentilly running 2.2 with the latest build (FRF72) and everything is working great. However, a tip for anyone on telus planning on updating: You have to set the port to 80 in the APN settings to get the browser to work.

One more thing that I will add is that the camera is atcually really good. I was using it on the maid of the mist and the pictures that it took were pretty amazing for a cell phone camera. it seems to take really good outdoor pictures but inside the pictures are grainy.

Nexus one: $529.00 USD
Shipping: $27.16 USD
DHL COD (duties and taxes) $ 78.49 CAD
Old 06-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

undisputed1 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
OP loved your story, excellent story telling skills. I love my nexus one also but I have an EVO as well and sprint does actually give better service here as well.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Thank you I appreciate that my time spent wrighting this was appreciated. I get very excited about new technology and after I ordered my Nexus One I was searching for an article like mine that I could read. When I found that no such thing existed I vowed to make one of my own so that others could rest easy knowing that it is fast and easy to get a Nexus One, as well as some tips for efficient delivery.

Forgive my ignorance but what/who is OP?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Quote:
Originally Posted by undisputed1 View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what/who is OP?
You are OP. "Original Poster"

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > Google Nexus One

Tags
nexus one, nexus one canada, nexus one internet, nexus one shipping, nexus one toronto