PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Google Nexus One (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   sending files through email on Android (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119608)

dusty- 04-29-2010 01:22 PM

sending files through email on Android

Dragon2 and I tried this yesterday and were not sure if it would work but its easy. just send the file like normal and open it via browser at gmail.com and follow the prompts. the native email app won't support it.

p-slim 04-29-2010 06:37 PM

Re: sending files through email on Android

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusty- (Post 1726188)
Dragon2 and I tried this yesterday and were not sure if it would work but its easy. just send the file like normal and open it via browser at gmail.com and follow the prompts. the native email app won't support it.

Even if you go to the web it will not allow you to download apps. to download attachments through email just download astro file manager, one of the options of astro manager is to allow your phone to download any type of file, just click it and you're good to go.

dusty- 04-29-2010 09:57 PM

I didn't try astro but it did let me save and install swype via browser . dragon sent it to me and I opened it ,saved and installed it and it worked.

p-slim 04-29-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusty- (Post 1726955)
I didn't try astro but it did let me save and install swype via browser . dragon sent it to me and I opened it ,saved and installed it and it worked.

the web will allow you to download any .apk because the browser knows thats an android file type. but without astro, if you try to download a .zip for instance it will not allow you to.

dusty- 04-29-2010 10:25 PM

I'm only 2 days in to android so I'm not an expert by any means but I have astro and aNdro zip and it worked lol .

Dragon2 04-30-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1726696)
Even if you go to the web it will not allow you to download apps. to download attachments through email just download astro file manager, one of the options of astro manager is to allow your phone to download any type of file, just click it and you're good to go.

It would not download the app through the gmail app, and I also have astro installed. I get a parsing package error of some sort, so I went to gmail.Com in the browser, and once clicking the file astro downloaded it..... so yes, you can download and save apks through gmail.Com...

I'll keep trying through the native app, not saying it won't work, but it most definitely works at the actual site...

p-slim 04-30-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon2 (Post 1728193)
It would not download the app through the gmail app, and I also have astro installed. I get a parsing package error of some sort, so I went to gmail.Com in the browser, and once clicking the file astro downloaded it..... so yes, you can download and save apks through gmail.Com...

I'll keep trying through the native app, not saying it won't work, but it most definitely works at the actual site...

apks correct, that is a google file, I meant non google files like a zip, i followed up and clarified in my next post.

Dragon2 04-30-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1726959)
the web will allow you to download any .apk because the browser knows thats an android file type. but without astro, if you try to download a .zip for instance it will not allow you to.

If its any other file type other than a apk, I use opera or xscope to download the file.....

Pretty sure I've downloaded zips through native browser also....

Edit: I got ya now, a little confused.... 4twenty

p-slim 04-30-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon2 (Post 1728204)
If its any other file type other than a apk, I use opera or xscope to download the file.....

Pretty sure I've downloaded zips through native browser also....

Edit: I got ya now, a little confused.... 4twenty

haha, don't trip :headbang:

OpenWave 07-03-2010 08:25 AM

Another way is to rename the file on your computer from file.zip to file.zipp for instance and when you receive the file on your phone just rename it back to .zip