PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Google Nexus One (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   So what are some downsides to this phone? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119529)

elephant head 04-28-2010 09:31 PM

So what are some downsides to this phone?

Currently on the Touch pro 2, and I need a quicker phone, with a flash. Any downsides to this phone? Is it slow? Does it get slow when you install a lot of apps? Does it need to be restarted a lot? How's RAM? etc.

mindfrost82 04-28-2010 10:56 PM

Re: So what are some downsides to this phone?

Some of your questions depend on if you're willing to unlock it or not.

It doesn't get slow when you install a lot of apps. You can use a task manager to keep an eye on what's running in the background.

I honestly never reboot it unless I'm flashing a new kernel, a new ROM, or I need to wipe cache (which is rarely).

For RAM, this is a big one for unlocking. As of now, the stock ROM doesn't support HIGHMEM in the kernel, so you can only access like 100MB. When you unlock and flash a different ROM you can get access to like 256MB. After a reboot, I'll have like 225MB free. After a few days I usually average about 170-190 free.

One downside (which doesn't affect me) is the multitouch has some issues when compared to the Droid Incredible and newer phones. Something about cross axis.

Otherwise, I love mine :)

EDIT: Another thing is that depending on the apps you install and how many, the storage for apps can go quickly. Installing some custom ROMs will let you do Apps2SD where you can partition a part of your SD card and install apps to it. I did a 1Gb partition, but I probably could have just done 512Mb.

Dragon2 04-29-2010 12:03 AM

I love my nexus one.. only downside would be the multitouch, not as good as the others, but just like mindfrost that won't effect me.. I actually partitioned my card to 1. 5 gb and I should have only done 512mb as well.

I absolutely love this phone, even without rooting or flashing this bad boy is hott.... I would recommend it to anyone, smashes my tp2

elephant head 04-29-2010 12:10 AM

Wow, thanks for the info. Yea I was gonna buy it for tmobile. Since thats my carrier already. So straight out the box, sounds like all other HTC phone, needs some hinkering to make it "better"

mindfrost82 04-29-2010 09:26 AM

As of now you need custom ROMs for HIGHMEM and some other features like Apps2SD.

The N1 should be the first phone to get Froyo, Android 2.2, so if you didn't want to unlock it you could wait until then. Most of those features are supposed to be activated with it.

p-slim 04-29-2010 11:10 AM

Mindfrost and dragon hit everything right on the head.

dusty- 04-30-2010 02:10 PM

Its an easy cross over from winmo and only takes a few days to get used to. I think its smoother and more polished than winmo.

elephant head 05-01-2010 12:32 AM

Sorry for my newbie-ness. I'm quite new to the touchscreen/ROM thing. I've always had Blackberry's. But what is Froyo? Multi-touch? and I'm guessing Android 2.2 is just updated OS?

spb37 05-01-2010 10:54 AM

The TP2 highlights what for me is the biggest disappointment with nx1, the speaker phone. Why after perfecting the speakerphone in tp2 did htc backtrack in their 530 nx1.

Otherwise the phone rocks, both voice dictation and google maps are killer apps.

Dragon2 05-01-2010 12:44 PM

Q[QUOTE=elephant head;1728973]Sorry for my newbie-ness. I'm quite new to the touchscreen/ROM thing. I've always had Blackberry's. But what is Froyo? Multi-touch? and I'm guessing Android 2.2 is just updated OS?[/QUOTe

Multitouch means phone recognises more than one finger at a time like pinch to zoom..... android 2. 1. is code named eclair, and android 2. 2 is code named froyo.