PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > Google Nexus One

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
how do you disable all the crap-ware on the nexus?

So I opened up a "task cleaner" and saw about a thousand open progs. closed them all, re-opened the task cleaner, same progs open again!

Is there a way to get rid of all that crap running in the background without rooting and flashing? I'd like to keep my girl's phone's warranty intact, but I would like her to be able to use some RAM for programs she actually opens...

and is there a way to CLOSE a program by hitting home key, without having top re-open a task manager and kill it?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 PM
AKA TEMPERBAD
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2/ N1

Dragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: how do you disable all the crap-ware on the nexus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
So I opened up a "task cleaner" and saw about a thousand open progs. closed them all, re-opened the task cleaner, same progs open again!

Is there a way to get rid of all that crap running in the background without rooting and flashing? I'd like to keep my girl's phone's warranty intact, but I would like her to be able to use some RAM for programs she actually opens...

and is there a way to CLOSE a program by hitting home key, without having top re-open a task manager and kill it?
You don't need to close tasks.. android will manage your also for you.. actually since they reopen killing the apps will only use more memory when your system reopens em... don't worry about it, does your phone ever slow down?

Its been proven killing tasks takes more energy and battery than forgetting about it....

Now keep task killer around if ya need to kill a unresponsive app, but don't worry.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2 View Post
You don't need to close tasks.. android will manage your also for you.. actually since they reopen killing the apps will only use more memory when your system reopens em... don't worry about it, does your phone ever slow down?

Its been proven killing tasks takes more energy and battery than forgetting about it....

Now keep task killer around if ya need to kill a unresponsive app, but don't worry.
no I haven't been really noticing much slowing down, I just feel uneasy about those damn tasks open all the time.

I don't see how killing tasks uses MORE battery considing it takes about 4 seconds. The problem is that they reopen. What I am looking for is a way to kill them so they DON'T reopen.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

why you shouldnt use a task killer with android, pretty interesting:

geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/
Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 PM
AKA TEMPERBAD
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2/ N1

Dragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
no I haven't been really noticing much slowing down, I just feel uneasy about those damn tasks open all the time.

I don't see how killing tasks uses MORE battery considing it takes about 4 seconds. The problem is that they reopen. What I am looking for is a way to kill them so they DON'T reopen.
It takes more power for them to close and reopen, there's just no need...
Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

I've read the same things that Dragon2 is posting. I keep a task manager installed because there are a few apps that might be accessing the internet in the background that I need to manually kill, or some are just coded badly.

I have Process Manager installed and once you get out of most apps they go to "empty" status. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I'm guessing since its not "Foreground" or "Background" then I don't need to worry about it.

I used to have Process Manager auto-kill apps every 30 minutes, but since I've turned that off I haven't noticed better or worse battery life, its still about the same.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

I have a task killer and it even has a widget with ignore list. It works very well. Most of the time you don't need it but it comes in handy with powerhouse games that take up alot of memory like homerun battle 3d. With out the task manger that game will lag sometimes. Its called advanced task killer by ReChild, excellent program. I love the widget once you set it up. I also use android mate which allows me to back up all apk's, a file manager, and task killer all in one. 2 A+ Apps.
Google is the next skynet

Last edited by p-slim; 04-14-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Threadstarter

Thanks guys, you really helped. I guess I am so used to windows that when I see 50 mb free when I feel like I should be seeing like 150 mb free I start freaking out, but that article really made sense.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

Quote:
Thanks guys, you really helped. I guess I am so used to windows that when I see 50 mb free when I feel like I should be seeing like 150 mb free I start freaking out, but that article really made sense.
Well the other thing with that is that the N1 doesn't support highmem out of the box (at least not yet). So you'll see 30 or 50mb free usually, even after killing tasks you won't get much higher than that.

If you're unlocked, you can flash another ROM that supports HighMem. On my phone, I see anywhere from 90 to 190mb free.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
Well the other thing with that is that the N1 doesn't support highmem out of the box (at least not yet). So you'll see 30 or 50mb free usually, even after killing tasks you won't get much higher than that.

If you're unlocked, you can flash another ROM that supports HighMem. On my phone, I see anywhere from 90 to 190mb free.
I saw 150 free when I killed tasks, but it dropped back to 50 free in about 20 seconds when the tasks respawned.

I'd rather not root because the phone is my girlfriend's and I'd rather not void the warranty. So I'm always up for the non-rooted alternative.

on the Mytouch though I'm always up for the rooted alternative

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > Google Nexus One