PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Google Nexus One (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   [GSM] Enable HSUPA - Improve Connection (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=117300)

mindfrost82 04-07-2010 10:26 AM

[GSM] Enable HSUPA - Improve Connection

Some users of CyanogenMOD or other ROMs may notice that their upload speed while on H/3G is poor. You can try this tweak to see if it helps. You need to be rooted or have a custom ROM for this to work.

-You need to have USB Debugging on.

-You need AndroidSDK installed (or a way to use adb).

-adb pull /system/build.prop build.prop

-Edit that file with something like Notepad++

-Search for (or add) ro.ril.hsxpa=2 or ro.ril.hsxpa=1 (some people report better results with 2)

-You can also check ro.ril.gprsclass=12 (by default it may be 10, so you can try 12)

-Save the file

-adb remount

-adb push build.prop /system/build.prop

-Reboot the phone (you may have to twice)

INFO:
ro.ril.hsxpa=0 - UMTS r99
ro.ril.hsxpa=1 - HSDPA
ro.ril.hsxpa=2 - HSDPA/HSUPA

GPRS Class----Max. data transfer speed
Class 2--------8 - 12 kbps upload / 16 - 24 kbps download
Class 4--------8 - 12 kbps upload / 24 - 36 kbps download
Class 6--------24 - 36 kbps upload / 24 - 36 kbps download
Class 8--------8 - 12 kbps upload / 32 - 40 kbps download
Class 10-------16 - 24 kbps upload / 32 - 48 kbps download
Class 12-------32 - 48 kbps upload / 32 - 48 kbps download

mindfrost82 04-08-2010 11:07 AM

Re: [GSM] Enable HSUPA - Improve Connection

In addition to this, if you're in a fringe 3G area and want to force 3G, you can dial *#*#4636#*#* from the dialer, go into Phone Information and scroll down and change 'WCDMA Preferred' to 'WCDMA Only'.

Dragon2 04-09-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfrost82 (Post 1687732)
In addition to this, if you're in a fringe 3G area and want to force 3G, you can dial *#*#4636#*#* from the dialer, go into Phone Information and scroll down and change 'WCDMA Preferred' to 'WCDMA Only'.

Can I leave it this way? Is there any negative effects?

mindfrost82 04-09-2010 04:12 PM

If you do what you quoted then the only negative effect is that it'll never fall back to Edge. If you're in an area where you always have 3G then it should be fine, but if you ever go to places that fall back to Edge, then you might want to leave it at WCDMA Preferred.

Dragon2 04-09-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfrost82 (Post 1690271)
If you do what you quoted then the only negative effect is that it'll never fall back to Edge. If you're in an area where you always have 3G then it should be fine, but if you ever go to places that fall back to Edge, then you might want to leave it at WCDMA Preferred.

Its working great... I bounce back between edge and 3g at home. Now with this I'm always on 3g. Now at work I rarely bounce to 3g so there ill put it back so I dont lose signal all together... now everywhere else in portland I get fantastic 3g...

Thanks for this mindfrost, now I may just dump my wifi... no need now..

mindfrost82 04-09-2010 10:54 PM

Another thing you can try is to keep this setting on WCDMA Only, then when you need to force 2G, do it in the Settings > Wireless & Network > Mobile Networks.

Then when you want to go back to 4G, uncheck that 2G only box.

The first time you do this, go back into that hidden menu and see if it stays at WCDMA Only or not...I haven't checked this myself.

Let us know how that works!

Dragon2 04-10-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfrost82 (Post 1690918)
Another thing you can try is to keep this setting on WCDMA Only, then when you need to force 2G, do it in the Settings > Wireless & Network > Mobile Networks.

Then when you want to go back to 4G, uncheck that 2G only box.

The first time you do this, go back into that hidden menu and see if it stays at WCDMA Only or not...I haven't checked this myself.

Let us know how that works!

Once switching it to 2g it changes it to GSM only. Then taking that 2g setting off it it still stays at GSM only so you gotta go back and put it on wcdma only or preferred again...

p-slim 04-12-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon2 (Post 1691036)
Once switching it to 2g it changes it to GSM only. Then taking that 2g setting off it it still stays at GSM only so you gotta go back and put it on wcdma only or preferred again...

when i unchecked the 2g setting mine switched back to wcdma preffered

mindfrost82 04-12-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1695876)
when i unchecked the 2g setting mine switched back to wcdma preffered

That's what I thought.

So I guess you would have to go into that code and change it to WCDMA Only after anytime you force it to 2G.

Unfortunately 3G is bad at my house so I don't really use this hack because I probably wouldn't have any service when its in my pocket.

p-slim 04-12-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfrost82 (Post 1695987)
That's what I thought.

So I guess you would have to go into that code and change it to WCDMA Only after anytime you force it to 2G.

Unfortunately 3G is bad at my house so I don't really use this hack because I probably wouldn't have any service when its in my pocket.

That's now my favorite hack. I'm in an area that gets great 3g but like my tp2 sometimes it switches to Edge for no reason, this hack is perfect for me, and unlike my cdma tp2 switching it to wcdma only I don't miss any calls or texts.