PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > Google Nexus One
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs
Carrier: Verizon

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Google's Support Forum is going crazy.

I guess some people were expecting 24x7 phone based customer support with their Nexus 1 phones. Google's trying to handle issues through their forums and email. Aparently it's putting quite the strain on Tmobile support and HTC as well.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...33b7d554&hl=en

Turns out existing Tmobile smartphone users who are eligible for upgrade have to pay $379.00 for the phone... also it's not being subsidized on share plans.

I'm not sure Google was prepared for the support required to properly launch the device. Hopefully they'll take this all in stride so the Verizon launch will go better.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

johnnycakes2 is keeping up the good workjohnnycakes2 is keeping up the good work
Re: Google's Support Forum is going crazy.

Google, TMO and HTC were prepared just fine.

It's all the existing TMO subscribers and/or newcomers who either don't understand, don't want to understand, don't like, or refuse to accept the very basic rules associated with buying and activating the Nexus One. So they flood the forums and call centers with stupid questions only to have the very info they've always known about confirmed.

Sometimes the customer isn't always right.

Google, TMO and HTC were prepared just fine.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Droidgeek
Threadstarter

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

You're correct about the majority of posts; however in there are some very valid concerns and issues. Also, HTC was never supposed to be supporting anything outside of warranty claims for this phone. It certainly seems that they are providing service outside of the scope of their agreement for support due to the void being created by the lack of google support. (They want people to submit an email and wait 72 hours for a response.)

Most of the valid issues are for the following:

-Shipping issues, order processing issues.

--the phone seems to only connecting to HSDPA 3G and don't seem to be able to connect to UMTS 3G services, at least not when there's EDGE available.

-website issues (Nexus one upgrade page was down for days.)

-The site is not forthright with upgrade pricing, and their model is way outside the norm for any retailer or provider:

Google doesn't subsidize family/share plans for new or existing subscibers.
Google only subsidizes packages that have unlimited text (which is made obsolete by Google Voice.)
You have to do some pretty thorough investigation to find upgrade pricing: an existing TMobile smartphone user who is out of contract on a $120/mo plan has to pay $379 for the Nexus one.

From a corporate perspective, the purpose of having a Forum for support is that it's cheap because your user base will often provide the answers in your absence. For a launch of this magnitude I would've expected at least a half a dozen Google employees responding and administrating the forums for at least some resemblance to customer service. Instead they have a few posters who are picking and choosing the easy questions to answer or defer to an email address.

I just hope all this is ironed out before the CDMA launch.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:23 AM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

they can hire some of us for help!!

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 01-15-2010, 01:25 AM
Droidgeek
Threadstarter

Well, TMobile has admitted that there's a problem with the Nexus One now. Hopefully they can find the cause and fix it before the 14 day return policy is up to save some sales.

http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Nexus-...ge/td-p/291918

Turns out the 3G connectivity issues are pretty widespread.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Droidgeek
Threadstarter

AND... today Google is being forthright and lowering the upgrade price for existing TMobile users to $279.00 so they've at least addressed some of the concerns about the site not being forthright on the upgrade pricing.

According to this they are issuing $100 refunds for users who paid $379.

Last edited by banden; 01-15-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by banden View Post
AND... today Google is being forthright and lowering the upgrade price for existing TMobile users to $279.00 so they've at least addressed some of the concerns about the site not being forthright on the upgrade pricing.

According to this they are issuing $100 refunds for users who paid $379.
No wonder only 20,000 sold.. I mean I got friends on TMO I told about this phone coming out, they waited to be eligible for the upgrade from their Blackberries, just to find out they have to pay $379. Now $279 is better, but still awful misleading from the advertised $179.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G (June 4), HTC Hero, Touch Pro 2, Nexus One

kenny21 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
No wonder only 20,000 sold.. I mean I got friends on TMO I told about this phone coming out, they waited to be eligible for the upgrade from their Blackberries, just to find out they have to pay $379. Now $279 is better, but still awful misleading from the advertised $179.
I totally agree. I ended up getting a new phone line added so I could get my wife this phone. You'd think signing up for another two year with the existing phone # would have sufficed to get the $179. And on top of that if you wanted to save the cash and get the new # you have to have the plan with the new # for 120 days before you can downgrade the plan if you wanted to just switch sims and use your original # otherwise its breach of contract. So it looks they got it covered so there's no way around the fee's. I really hope all this was worth it.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:01 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

jaypr9 is just getting started

Umm isnt it like that with all companies? When I was with sprint and got the diamond after my 2yr upgrade I still didnt get it as the same price as if I was a brand new customer...
Old 01-31-2010, 05:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G (June 4), HTC Hero, Touch Pro 2, Nexus One

kenny21 is becoming a great contributor

Thats true but if your wanting to sell your product quickly you would want to do something different from everyone else. I guarantee that if they had offered a lower upgrade price a lot of people with existing contracts would have signed on for another 2 years. Google is trying to set themselves apart from these other companies and that would have been a great way to do it.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > Google Nexus One