PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > Google Nexus One

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs
Carrier: Verizon

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nexus one site is up.

http://www.google.com/phone

And here's the press release: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...ile-phone.html

Oh yeah it's coming to Verizon in Spring.

Last edited by banden; 01-05-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Xda Orbit
Carrier: O2

Warrior is a n00b
Re: Nexus one site is up.

All very well, but when, Oh when is this phone coming to the UK?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:21 AM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I can't wait for Spring!!!!

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 01-14-2010, 12:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6800 > HTC Touch Pro (Alltel!) > HTC Incredible
Carrier: Alltel -> VZW

Ed Zachary is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney1985 View Post
I can't wait for Spring!!!!
I hope they have their "double whammy" ETF ironed out by then.
Verizon charges a $250 ETF for high-doll, er, high-TECH phones.
Google charges $350 on top of that.

From the Google Terms of Sale (red emphasis mine):
Quote:
You agree to pay Google an equipment subsidy recovery fee (the "Equipment Recovery Fee") equal to the difference between the full price of the Nexus handheld device without service plan and the price you paid for the Nexus handheld device if you cancel your wireless plan prior to 120 days of continuous wireless service. For example, if the full price of the Nexus handheld device without service plan was $529 USD and the price you paid for the Nexus handheld device was $179 USD with a service plan, the Equipment Recovery Fee you pay will be $350 USD in the event you cancel within the first 120 days of carrier service. The Equipment Recovery Fee is equal to the line item in your confirmation email setting forth the discount on the full priced Nexus handheld device related to your carrier service plan activiation. You authorize Google to charge the Equipment Recovery Fee directly to your credit card, or other payment method used to purchase the Nexus handheld device, upon cancellation of your wireless plan. You will not be charged the Equipment Recovery Fee if you return your Nexus handheld device to Google within the 14 day Return Policy period as set forth below.

You agree that the Equipment Recovery Fee is not a penalty but is for liquidated damages Google will incur as a result of such cancellation. These damages may include, but are not limited to, loss of compensation and administrative costs associated with such cancellation or changing of wireless service provider(s), market changes, and changes in ownership. Please note that the Equipment Recovery Fee is imposed by Google and not your chosen carrier and is in addition to any early termination fees that may be charged by your chosen carrier in connection with termination of your wireless plan prior to fulfillment of your chosen carrier’s service agreement term.

Last edited by Ed Zachary; 01-14-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: TMO

timothydonohue is just getting started

it isn't a 'double whammy'. it's a 530 dollar phone. if they didn't have that charge there, then all people would have to do to get the phone for less money is sign up to tmobile for 179 bucks, then pay 200 to get out once the phone landed. that automatically would turn the 530 dollar phone into a 379 dollar phone. google isn't interested in getting suckered.

the phone is pimp. got mine into my hands yesterday. it's a real piece of work. sexiest phone i've ever seen, that's for sure.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Droidgeek
Threadstarter

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

Where this is going to get ugly is for people who bought the phones and then don't pay their Tmobile bills... they'll likely be broke because they can't pay their bill... then they'll get slapped with the ETF and then they'll get hit with the google ERF... then their wife will leave them for someone on Verizon with a Motorola Droid.

(I see this happen all the time.)

When I sold cell phones, I had the client sign a statement saying if they canceled within six months they would have to give me back the phone and depending on the condition they would have to pay a restocking fee. Even then, I was stuck with a used phone I had to sell to recoup my costs.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6800 > HTC Touch Pro (Alltel!) > HTC Incredible
Carrier: Alltel -> VZW

Ed Zachary is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothydonohue View Post
it isn't a 'double whammy'. it's a 530 dollar phone. if they didn't have that charge there, then all people would have to do to get the phone for less money is sign up to tmobile for 179 bucks, then pay 200 to get out once the phone landed. that automatically would turn the 530 dollar phone into a 379 dollar phone. google isn't interested in getting suckered.

the phone is pimp. got mine into my hands yesterday. it's a real piece of work. sexiest phone i've ever seen, that's for sure.
So we have:
179 paid up front to TMobile
200 ETF to TMobile
45 Restocking fee to Google

If you cancel and return the phone to Google ALL WITHIN 14 days of purchase, you are just out the 414 paid so far. For a phone you no longer have.

If you go beyond the 14 days, you have agreed to let Google charge an additional 350 Equipment Recovery fee to your credit card. This is the difference between Google's retail price of the phone (529) and what you paid TMobile up front. That is in addition to anything you have already paid to the carrier.

179 paid up front to TMobile
200 ETF to TMobile
350 Equipment Recovery fee to Google
45 Refurbishing fee to Google

For a total of 774 paid for a 529 phone.

Keep in mind that 529 is Google's retail PRICE for the phone, which is nowhere near it's COST.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Droidgeek
Threadstarter

Ed Zachary, you're completely wrong.

The 45 refurb fee is only if you return the phone within the 14 day window and it's taken directly off your refund. Also, tmobile will allow you to cancel within 15 days. This means you would be out a total of the $45 restocking fee. Plus whatever airtime/plan charges... for that timeframe.

If you go beyond the 14 days... you cant return the phone for any money back.

If you cancel your contract after 14 days but before 120 days (4 months) you'll pay an Equipment recovery fee which would equal the difference between full price of the phone and what you paid up front. So if you paid 179, canceled service after 15 days, the Equipment recovery fee is 350 to google. And TMobile charges the ETF of $200 to back out of your contract. So in essence, you'll still own a Nexus One (which you paid $530 to Google) and you'll have had to pay $200 to TMobile because you signed an agreement for 2 years of service and you decided not to fulfill your contract.

After 120 days, you would only pay your ETF to Tmobile (plus any amount due from monthly service) and you could keep the Nexus One without having to pay any ERF to Google.

After two years you can cancel at any time.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > Google Nexus One