PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Nokia to have Android as "backup plan" to WP8 failure. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=150516)

orangekid 07-03-2012 01:15 PM

Nokia to have Android as "backup plan" to WP8 failure.

Nokia's Windows Phone 8 Fallback Plan Is Google's Android | Redmond Pie

interesting read, I wouldn't be surprised if they made the move.

We'll just have to see how WP8 pans out. I hope it is successful because it will keep Android competitive, but it had better do better than WP7 fared.

eric12341 07-03-2012 01:54 PM

Re: Nokia to have Android as "backup plan" to WP8 failure.

WP8 will do very well, not all the features are announced, it's based off the NT kernel which has almost endless possibilities and all the carriers are excited about it (Sprint?). You can expect the carriers to push it as well as there being a wide selection to choose from.

orangekid 07-03-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2182553)
WP8 will do very well, not all the features are announced, it's based off the NT kernel which has almost endless possibilities and all the carriers are excited about it (Sprint?). You can expect the carriers to push it as well as there being a wide selection to choose from.

Well they said that about WP7 and look what happened...

I do think WP8 will be better than WP7 was though, that's for sure, and I hope you're right about it being successful, but ultimately, it will be the consumers who decide what is successful

Dr.8820 07-03-2012 06:51 PM

You might want to revisit that article OP, it's not correct and has been updated.

orangekid 07-03-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 2182568)
You might want to revisit that article OP, it's not correct and has been updated.

I'll take a look.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus on the PPCGeeks App

orangekid 07-03-2012 10:09 PM

Ya I saw that . Even more confusing because it said it was half true or something . Either way I do hope wp8 does a lot better than wp7. Thanks for the heads up doc

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus on the PPCGeeks App

schettj 07-05-2012 09:05 PM

No way in hell... Nokia would rather burn itself down than use Android. They had TWO better linux based OSes already (Meego and Meltemi) that they're not using :)

EyeB 07-05-2012 10:20 PM

nokia should just sell phones with unlocked bootloader... install WP8 as default but let users be able to install android if they feel like it without any hassle. Don't like WP8? Have a download on Nokia's site that installs their version of android...

I do like the nokia phone's design/hardware... It's just I have bought into WP yet

orangekid 07-06-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 2182721)
No way in hell... Nokia would rather burn itself down than use Android. They had TWO better linux based OSes already (Meego and Meltemi) that they're not using :)

Why aren't they using those two better operating systems?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeB (Post 2182723)
nokia should just sell phones with unlocked bootloader... install WP8 as default but let users be able to install android if they feel like it without any hassle. Don't like WP8? Have a download on Nokia's site that installs their version of android...

I do like the nokia phone's design/hardware... It's just I have bought into WP yet

That's actually a great idea

schettj 07-06-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2182752)
Why aren't they using those two better operating systems?

Because no one will develop apps for them.

Nokia is still working through the denial that it used to be the top handset maker. Once it downsizes to about HTC size, it will be fine. It's getting there.

It's unfortunate that they were SO SLOW to get the WP7.x phones out (these were a "done deal" in august of 2011, when I left Nokia, but in typical Nokia fashion it took them another 6 months to squeeze them out.) Had they released them in the summer of 2011, everyone would have had 18 months before WP8 phones came out, and no one would be *that* upset. Hell, apple does this by design.

So, yeah, TWO reboots of the winphone market, and poor Nokia jumps in just before the second one. Keep in mind all Nokia did was take a non-selling symbian phone and turn it into a non-selling WP7.5 phone, so from their perspective it wasn't much of a loss.