PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What part of WP7 do you guys like? Sell me on WP7 :P

Because of eric12341 well 90% lol, anyways I'm starting to get interested in WP7 as well. So far I've only owned the TP2 and played with android on it. I've had an evo (no service) before and played with it as a mini-tablet as well. I have an ipad for the iOS experience. So that's my background of the 3 OSes.

Anyways what about the WP7 sold you guys? Playing with it in the store and watching it on youtube, the live tiles aren't just selling me on the whole WP7 so I'm hoping there is more to it than some tiles. I know about the social media/facebook integration but I don't have those so that's also a moot point for me. Is there anything else to look forward to in WP7? All I could find online that reviews WP7 mostly just talks about these two points and I'm hoping there is more to it than this for me to consider WP7. The main things selling me on Android are the apps (I know WP7 just needs time for that but I don't have "time" to wait since I can switch later on anyways)
Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 AM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The keyboard and resposivness are cool but i hate metro. I just cant get passed it. Also remember there is zero customization or themes. You get what you see.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: What part of WP7 do you guys like? Sell me on WP7 :P

Here's some confessionals, most notably the one by @dtrush, I'm sure @DavidinCT,@GoodThings2Life,@deadwrong03 and @steveo70 will have some input as well.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Whoops forgot the link and the edit post isn't working so here it is http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/general-wi...e-users-2.html
Old 11-28-2011, 01:44 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work

i got your pm eric

From the description of how you use the phone, it really sounds like it may not be suited for me mainly because I dont use the phone for those things. It maybe I've just not had a "smart" phone experience but I don't need to look up movies on my phone nor scan bar codes. I don't have a facebook account (well I do but don't use it) so I don't need to chat on there. I can see your point about the tiles maybe, sounds like something I'd have to try for myself

sounds like i wont be able say if i'll like it or not without trying it so if I do see a cheap wp7 phone somewhere I'll grab at it, worst case is i don't like it and then I'll put it back on craigslist or somewhere and sell it for what I got it for lol.

thanks for the input, now if only economics of a new phone fall into a price range i can agree with just to be testing it

Last edited by EyeB; 11-28-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:49 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community

edit.. looks as others have posted ahead of mine. Sorry Steelers game was on. @eric12341 is correct and don't forget @Dr.8820 eric. I love WP7. Not a "fanboy" just a fan of what works for me.

Very well put. I'm positive you will get some great varied responses. First and foremost, trying it out in person was a great 1st step. It is butter smooth and "just" works. I enjoyed working on and customizing WinMo for optimal performance but now there is no need unless you want a personalized OS. As an art major I appreciate this but I prefer the Metro "less is more" look. After all the hours I spent flashing previous WinMo devices I now get tired of the wife wanting me to "fix" her EVO3D. I also have more time to create my own original artwork. With the Chevron unlocker, most things I missed are available such as the homebrew "folders" XAP for centralizing multiple like apps to a live tile.
As far as apps go, what kind of apps do you want? The wife likes "flavor of the month" apps she can share with other Android users 'til it gets old and goes away a month later. I have all the major apps I need. 8tracks, Board Express (for PPCGeeks), Cloud Muzik (homebrew Google Music XAP), Evernote (desktop compatible), Metro Browser (XDA) to play most online videos, Netflix, Screen Capture (another fine "homebrew" XAP, Tune In, Foodspotting (avid culinary frequenter), and Home Depot ( my employers app). Other apps are built into the OS already. Bing maps, scout, scanner (for QR codes, barcodes, language translation), Music (replaces Shazam), and Tell Me voice recognition (works very good for hands free texting and other basic phone controls. I also sideloaded Tango on my Arrive (my new Titian will be here soon and integrated so I can video call my niece and nephew {IPhone users} w/out a mirror, LOL. VERY IMPORTANT)
I only play a few games for time wasting, and have found a some great independent games that are fun, addictive, and free. Haven't personally tried any XBox games. This too will be a personal preference.
I too do not really get into Facebook, but it is nice to have it embedded into the OS for when I do use it. The onscreen keyboard is also very good when I use Facebook or text. This is welcomed coming from the Mogul/TP/TP2/ and Arrive (some great keyboards). Battery life is also insane. Lastly for now, I like having the 25gb cloud for pic storage ect to keep memory free for other things. This is just "off the cuff" for now.
Lastly, having Office built into the OS is also very nice and expected from a Windows device.

Last edited by steveo70; 11-28-2011 at 02:20 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive 32GB MANGO (Sprint)
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular (Verizon)

dtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Well, I've basically written what I have over an over at why I like WP7. All I can say is you need to run one for a week or so to "get it" and then you'll start to see why the interface is really the only way to go. This definitely applies if you're wanting to get things done with the phone and not just fart around with it because there's nothing else to do.

If you like games, spending time customizing your phone, trying out hundreds of useless apps just to say you did you should stick with Android or iOS. If you want to be cool like all the others because of the sea of useless "apps" then Android and iOS are the ticket! If you enjoy clearing out your text messages because your phone gets slow Android will rock your socks off

If you want to have awesome functionality, integration and speed WP7 is the way to go with zero slow down EVER. Most of the popular apps are on WP7 now and the sparse apps excuse is no longer an issue.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:23 AM
VIP Member

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community

Very well said @dtrush w/out my long wind. lol
Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

The only things I use for my phone on a regular basis is using it as a phone/gps/calender/alarm/ap news (or some other news app)/weather by gps. Outside of those 6 things, I just like playing with apps but not enough to keep them.

So I'd need a offline gps (I bought the garmin sd card but eric said WM apps wont run in WP7) and I don't know if WP7 has a offline gps. With android I can cache the map so this isn't a problem there. The reason I need offline is because I go to places I know I dont get reception and don't want to be left without a gps because of no data. Basically I go out fishing/into woods where I'm no where near any people/cell towers. And like i told eric in pm, I bought a garminfone that I'll test on tmobile I know it's an old phone but I have garmin units and I just trust them

I like the calendar of WM and WP7 seems to have similar design so I got no problems here.

I couldn't find any weather info for WP7 though, not like HTC sense's weather tab anyways. Or a GPS weather radar (I don't need the radar part but just need the temperature at my current location)

I use g-alarm for my alarm clock and would like something with same functions in WP7

Ap News I'm not concerned with, WP7 is bound to have some news app or another

Anyhow aside from those few things, weather/gps/alarm I really dont use my phone for much else. The android port fills my need for apps to play with. So are there alternatives to those things in WP7? Like I said before I'm sure it'll get there in time but I just don't want to buy a phone just to wait for it. I rather they be in place before buying the phone.

edit: the cloud storage I use dropbox/sugarsync on my tp2 so I get the same as if it had windows skydrive. I remember a app for WM for it somewhere but never found it and stuck with dropbox

basically I'm a biology student that goes out to collect samples from where there's no other human life so I need to know my way around there (gps) and weather for preparation. The alarm for keeping me on schedule/waking me at odd times. And because I'm away from cell service for most of the time that I'm out, all the connected things in WP7 become kind of not connected.

Last edited by EyeB; 11-28-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:00 AM
VIP Member

That's exactly why I just dropped Sprint for AT&T. Being an avid hunter I got tired of roaming back home w/sketchy service and got a Titan for .01. I too needed GPS, weather, wind conditions. Finally decided carrier was more important, bonus was the free Titan for switching over. Not sure regarding GAlarm. Never needed. Yes calendar is great. There is an offline maps app offered, I personally couldn't get to download (waited too late 'til service was limited). Too late now and can't complain nor recommend and won't need it now since switching carrier. The weather Channel app/live tile (w/radar) is nice.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions