PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Windows Phone 7 Frustrations (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147278)

eric12341 10-06-2011 10:45 PM

Re: Windows Phone 7 Frustrations

all because ur stupid employer decided to forbid exchange synching, this isn't a standard process.

mizzourob 10-07-2011 02:28 AM

Perhaps the only saving grace would be if someone would develop a (desktop) Outlook Exchange ActiveSync addin to access the Exchange server (sort of like DAVMail); then again if I wait long enough hopefully someone in the Windows Phone community will be able to implement a USB sync solution now that with the Mango update, user data is no longer completely sandboxed like it was before.

The ideal solution, of course, would be for native Microsoft support with the Zune desktop client being able to sync with Outlook (both x86 and x64), and provide the user the option for which calender and contact source on the phone to sync with a users choice of calenders and contact lists withing Outlook.

mizzourob 10-07-2011 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2149047)
all because ur stupid employer decided to forbid exchange synching, this isn't a standard process.

Just to clarify, the Exchange server does support Exchange Active Sync (for mobile devices), but is not configured to support a direct connection to Outlook (desktop) when I am outside of the cooperate firewall including using RPC to connect. My Touch Pro2 was able to use Exchange Active Sync to keep the contacts and calender current on the phone, then when I plugged in the phone to my desktop (via WMDC) it would update my Outlook calender regardless if I was behind or in front of the cooperate firewall. The phone effectively was a hardware Exchange Active Sync bridge; I'm surprised that no one (not even Microsoft) has written a plugin for Outlook (desktop) that would support this account type.

mizzourob 10-11-2011 02:01 AM

Well I solved my problem; well not really in the way I intended to. After almost two weeks of frustrations (and several almost missed appointments), I finally came to the conclusion that Windows Phone 7 is simply not mature enough yet compared to Windows Mobile 6.5. I'll happily take proper contact and calender syncing, file storage, bluetoooth file transfer, and wi-fi tethering, over a better camera, FM radio, capacitive touch screen, podcast support, more apps, etc. I do not need games, local scout, and pointless apps if the phone does not work right in the first place.

It seems that with the technical changes that were made in the Mango update, and enough time for the ROM chefs to dig through the code, someone will make the platform work like it was supposed to. For now I'm packing my bags for Windows Mobile 6.5; Windows Phone 7 I hope to see you again in the future.

For what it is worth; one (easy?) way Microsoft could resolve this issue would be to modify the operation of the Outlook Hotmail Connector (OHC). If Hotmail would support contact photos (not just Live Messenger profile pics), and the OHC tool could be setup to automatically synchronize changes from local Outlook folders (e.g. contacts and calender) to Hotmail, then this would be a partial win, and might be able to bring me back to Windows Phone 7.

It would be close to a win if Windows Phone 7 could then sync all appointments and contacts together in a single calender, and contact list back to their respective data sources without regard to which source it came from (instead of maintaining separate isolated calenders and contact lists that can only be toggled to show on a single calender or contact list). A full win would be this plus USB support so I do not have to use Hotmail at all.

eric12341 10-11-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizzourob (Post 2149753)
Well I solved my problem; well not really in the way I intended to. After almost two weeks of frustrations (and several almost missed appointments), I finally came to the conclusion that Windows Phone 7 is simply not mature enough yet compared to Windows Mobile 6.5. I'll happily take proper contact and calender syncing, file storage, bluetoooth file transfer, and wi-fi tethering, over a better camera, FM radio, capacitive touch screen, podcast support, more apps, etc. I do not need games, local scout, and pointless apps if the phone does not work right in the first place.

It seems that with the technical changes that were made in the Mango update, and enough time for the ROM chefs to dig through the code, someone will make the platform work like it was supposed to. For now I'm packing my bags for Windows Mobile 6.5; Windows Phone 7 I hope to see you again in the future.

For what it is worth; one (easy?) way Microsoft could resolve this issue would be to modify the operation of the Outlook Hotmail Connector (OHC). If Hotmail would support contact photos (not just Live Messenger profile pics), and the OHC tool could be setup to automatically synchronize changes from local Outlook folders (e.g. contacts and calender) to Hotmail, then this would be a partial win, and might be able to bring me back to Windows Phone 7.

It would be close to a win if Windows Phone 7 could then sync all appointments and contacts together in a single calender, and contact list back to their respective data sources without regard to which source it came from (instead of maintaining separate isolated calenders and contact lists that can only be toggled to show on a single calender or contact list). A full win would be this plus USB support so I do not have to use Hotmail at all.

like I said before the phone would work perfectly if ur employer supported exchange,that isn't MS fault. and what's wrong with contacts and calendars being aggregated? the fact that I can see and tell the differences between my Facebook,live and holiday calendars is brilliant. and its also good to be able to hide and display contacts from different sources, I used to hate it when the windows live app for WM would add all the contacts to my contacts list before they fixed it to disable that. they all sync back to their sources and stay updated so to me it sounds like u haven't spent much time with that feature.

GoodThings2Life 10-11-2011 06:56 PM

Incidentally, Outlook via RPC has absolutely NOTHING to do at all with ActiveSync. They're totally different connectivity options. ActiveSync is the ONLY methodology for connecting your smartphone devices of any kind, and OvRPC is exclusive to Outlook on a Windows platform.

Regardless of that difference, if your employer is actively disabling those options (or too incompetent to configure them), I agree with Eric... it's the fault of your employer not the platform.

Also in agreement with Eric... every smartphone platform aggregates the calendars and contacts together. Android and iPhone both operate in similar ways.

gTen 10-12-2011 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizzourob (Post 2149753)

Hmm...maybe try a trial of this? (not sure if it can do what you want but its worth a shot)

Windows Phone 7 Sync Software - Sync contacts, calendar and tasks -- CompanionLink Software

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2149834)
like I said before the phone would work perfectly if ur employer supported exchange,that isn't MS fault. and what's wrong with contacts and calendars being aggregated? the fact that I can see and tell the differences between my Facebook,live and holiday calendars is brilliant. and its also good to be able to hide and display contacts from different sources, I used to hate it when the windows live app for WM would add all the contacts to my contacts list before they fixed it to disable that. they all sync back to their sources and stay updated so to me it sounds like u haven't spent much time with that feature.

This is a prime example of walled ecosystems are nice when everything is part of the same ecosystem. But the moment you move out of the norm, it turns into a complete headache. (This goes for iphone and any other walled ecosystem). And yes it is his employers fault, but that is just how reality is..every place has different policies and requirements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life (Post 2149872)
Also in agreement with Eric... every smartphone platform aggregates the calendars and contacts together. Android and iPhone both operate in similar ways.

Not sure about iphone but there are workaround for Android to not aggravate contacts and calendars together.

eric12341 10-12-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2149937)
Hmm...maybe try a trial of this? (not sure if it can do what you want but its worth a shot)

Windows Phone 7 Sync Software - Sync contacts, calendar and tasks -- CompanionLink Software

This is a prime example of walled ecosystems are nice when everything is part of the same ecosystem. But the moment you move out of the norm, it turns into a complete headache. (This goes for iphone and any other walled ecosystem). And yes it is his employers fault, but that is just how reality is..every place has different policies and requirements.

Not sure about iphone but there are workaround for Android to not aggravate contacts and calendars together.

@gTen well in wp7 u can turn off other calendars when u don't want them and they are also color coded.