PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why did you choose W7 over Android ?

Hey gTen, sounds to me like you're trying to convince me that Android is the place to be. But, after a year with Android, WP7 is the change I needed. I stand by the fact that it's fast, stable, simple, and fits both my needs and expectations. There's a few things on my wishlist, sure, but for the first time in a while I'm actually happy to own a phone.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:43 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
oh that's crazy so anyone who doesn't want it there that doesn't know to root is pretty much stuck with it or its RAM usage.
Yup...that thing brings dual cores to their knees sometimes...and it gets bulkier and bulkier every version..hence why I said they should have it install stuff when used the first time (kinda like when installing software like M$ office it has option to install on 1st time use)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
Hey gTen, sounds to me like you're trying to convince me that Android is the place to be. But, after a year with Android, WP7 is the change I needed. I stand by the fact that it's fast, stable, simple, and fits both my needs and expectations. There's a few things on my wishlist, sure, but for the first time in a while I'm actually happy to own a phone.
Nope, if your happy with what you got that fine..I am just saying the landscape changes quickly..so some of the things you seen before are not how things are today...Not to mention manufacturer plays a big role as well on the quality of hardware.

I mean its not like an iphone where it don't change much 4 years in a row lol jk

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-22-2011, 02:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

I will say that the story on the front page about MS giving away Dev tools and phones to WebOS developers and opening up support to pull them in, give me hope that they are going to really push this onto the market instead of just assuming everyone is going to want ti just because it's from them. Maybe they are finally starting to realize they aren't the only thing out there.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
I will say that the story on the front page about MS giving away Dev tools and phones to WebOS developers and opening up support to pull them in, give me hope that they are going to really push this onto the market instead of just assuming everyone is going to want ti just because it's from them. Maybe they are finally starting to realize they aren't the only thing out there.
Agreed, with Android and iOS so well developed already, MS knew it wasn't going to be easy, but I think they put out a great product.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Bringer of Good Things

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Indeed! I'm very excited about the work Brandon Watson has been doing. First he made the bet with high profile iPhone and Android supporters that they would want to stick with WP7, and so far it's working in WP's favor... even Scott Adams (Dilbert creator) is enjoying the platform.

With an aggressive push for developers to improve things in the app space, Microsoft is making it clear that they're serious about pushing the platform forward now.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

I just read a small snippet in my Email from PCMag that there is speculation that the new Google/Motorola merger might also be a boon for Windows Phone. They stated(paraphrased) that in doing this merger, Google has basically thumbed their nose at all the other equipment manufacturers. Where there may be many more Motorola manufactured Droids out there, many of the others manufacturers might look more to MS for their markets.

Here's the article:
Google's Motorola Deal Closes a Door, Opens for Windows | Mark Hachman | PCMag.com
Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

that site used to bash the crap out of WP
Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
I just read a small snippet in my Email from PCMag that there is speculation that the new Google/Motorola merger might also be a boon for Windows Phone. They stated(paraphrased) that in doing this merger, Google has basically thumbed their nose at all the other equipment manufacturers. Where there may be many more Motorola manufactured Droids out there, many of the others manufacturers might look more to MS for their markets.

Here's the article:
Google's Motorola Deal Closes a Door, Opens for Windows | Mark Hachman | PCMag.com
It may have happened as a case before, but now that M$ is giving preference to Nokia(and rumors of a buyout) I find it unlikely. That article has been circulating for a while but Google will not give anything major to Motorola because they don't make any money off sales of Android devices..they make more profit off their adsense and would be silly for them to prioritize motorola with lower profit margins.

Google favoring Motorola would be equivalent to favoring a person that gives you 5$ a month over the guy who pays your salary.

Right now, since HP gave up on building hardware they are probably the only OS that is not bound by a hardware manufacturer. If the WebOs firesale gets people interested in WebOs devices it may lead some manufacturers trying it out. Alternatively I have seen signs that manufacturers(with big patent portfolio) may attempt to fork android.

Here is my take on the major partners:

HTC - may go WebOs or may go WP7 (if they let them put their own sense ui)
Huwaii - Will stay android, may experiment with meego(simply cause they are based in china)
LG - They mentioned earlier indication of trying MeeGo
Samsung - Considering they have their Bada platform I don't see them jumping ship, they are likely to fork Android after Google denied them use of Skyhook.
ZTE - Will stay android, may experiment with meego(simply cause they are based in china)

The only ones that can swing either way are the ones with the least marketshare..mostly the ASUS and the Japanse companies such as Sony, Panasonic, Kyocerra, Sanyo, Fujitsu, mitsubishi, sharp.

But then again they do not have much marketshare to begin with so I don't think jumping ship makes sense unless M$ gives them some sort of a deal that benefits them.

Edit: Just noticed this on Engadget and as I said LG and Samsung are either going to fork android or go with another open source os..so wp7 as the primary os out of the question:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/23/s...s-knife-fight/

Last edited by gTen; 08-24-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 AM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post

as ive always said, the iphone & wp7 is for people who do not like or want to customize their devices. remember what ppcgeeks and xda are. they used to be places to go to unlock, flash roms and theme till your hearts content. but im glad you found a phone that suites your needs, it would drive me crazy.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Bringer of Good Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 View Post
as ive always said, the iphone & wp7 is for people who do not like or want to customize their devices. remember what ppcgeeks and xda are. they used to be places to go to unlock, flash roms and theme till your hearts content. but im glad you found a phone that suites your needs, it would drive me crazy.
As a highly technical user, a system administrator of 15 years, and an all around geek... I LOVE being able to customize and tweak and tune and all that. Hell, that's one of my biggest reasons for liking Microsoft instead of Apple. On the other hand, I spend 12-15 hours a day working on computers and such, and my communication devices are things that I expect to just work... hence my usability comments.

Don't get me wrong, like I said on the other thread, I really enjoyed Android, and I recommend it to many people. As you said, people have different needs and expectations. I make mine based on what they really want rather than what I want for them.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions