PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
WP7 general first setup questions...

Hey all,

So, I got the conformation that I will have my HTC Trophy on Monday (6/6, Yea !!!) from Asurion. So, I finally can join the fun (it's about time). As you know I've been doing a lot of following and reading but, I can't find the answer I am looking for on the first time setup for the best results.

I have a hotmail account tied to facebook, xbox live, etc and I also have an private MS Exchange server (Exchange 2003, with a self cert).

Assuming that I setup with my live account first, how to I deal with these settings ?

1. Setup Exchange server, How do I get my Cert for my exchange server on my device ? Do I just email it to my hotmail account and open it from there(any known problems with doing this ?) ?

2. I only want to use the contacts on my Exchange server(I sync my TP2 now to it) do I make sure I don't use any collected by hotmail users on there ?

3. Facebook, I want to only see updates to people I have in my contacts, how do I make sure of this ?

4. On facebook: My contacts in exchange do not have a space for their facebook page, How do I link a user with a facebook page ? Is there something special I can do to make sure this is pre-setup before sync'ing ?

Any other suggested processes to do on first setup for better over all results ?

I think this covers the things that has been crossing my mind for the last 2 weeks. I currently don't have a device and the only time playing with it is in the emulator or the little time I play with devices in the store.

Thanks !!!

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 06-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: WP7 general first setup questions...

1. as far as the exchange, it should work if u email it to urself but im not sure, only one user seemed to have a problem with exchange server and he frequently goes to the arrive section and trolls his discontent towards wp7 and his love for Android there, I haven't heard of any issues other than that.

2) then u may want to add the exchange server account first because on the first account added contacts cannot be prevented from being synched ,then after that u add ur hotmail account and just uncheck contact sync. alternatively u can create a brand new hotmail account and move ur Xbox live account over there and set that hotmail account to sync contacts and email from ur exchange server then add that new account first when u get the trophy.

3) the Facebook part is easy after the sync is complete u goto settings then people and select only add Facebook info to existing contacts.

4) when all the Facebook contacts are synched they will link automatically to the contacts that have the same name, if not u just goto the contact and hit the chain icon and u can then link them from there.

Last edited by eric12341; 06-03-2011 at 03:40 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive 32GB MANGO (Sprint)
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular (Verizon)

dtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Glad Asurion is taking care of you on the phone and upgrading you to a much better phone.

As far as your questions:

FIRST THING:
If you have a 32GB micro sd you're planning on using you might want to get the switch made right away. Once you setup your Arrive with the current 16GB you will need to setup everything again on a new install. Google for some tutorials. It's not too difficult to do. Just need a jewelers screwdriver set.

1. I have a 2003 Exchange server but I don't use the certs. I just put in the server credentials and everything syncs up (almost) pretty good. You'll have to do some checking and experimenting. Try to get this account setup and working so it can be your main e-mail/contacts. When I first set mine up I just put in my Live credentials. Then when I redid everything with the 32GB the 2nd time around I made sure to get Exchange going first.

A couple of errors I've had with Exchange Activesync is that on an appointment if I put in a note on the appointment on the phone it hasn't synced to Outlook. I don't understand it either. It's been a little inconvenient with how I have ran on Windows Mobile for all these years. Never a sync problem with it that I remember. Maybe a later Exchange brings better results or the Mango update. All of the phone number fields aren't seen on the Exchange contact either even though the phone number is there in the phone so you can't edit it out/in. A couple of appointments I put on the phone didn't show up in Outlook and I was late to them because I saw them at the last minute on my phone. Oh well, a few things still need to be worked out but overall it's pretty good.

2. Your Exchange & Live contacts will merge/show together in your phone. If you have two of the same contacts it will link them together. Your Live contacts can't see what's on your Exchange. It's pretty sweet and I thought at first I would hate it. I haven't messed with a lot of editing contacts to check what gets modified and where though. Even after suggestions to on this forum to uncheck the contacts mine doesn't show that option in the e-mail settings. Mine says "Content to sync - Email" and that's it under Windows Live. Like I said it isn't a big issue really. They're combined on the phone but separate from which servers they reside.

3. I don't use Facebook so I have NO IDEA how it works in WP7. My wife uses it on her EVO and likes it real well.

After a few days you'll get used to the OS and you'll marvel at how fast and intuitive it is. You'll wonder how you lived with the TP2 for so long
Old 06-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrush View Post
Glad Asurion is taking care of you on the phone and upgrading you to a much better phone.

As far as your questions:

FIRST THING:
If you have a 32GB micro sd you're planning on using you might want to get the switch made right away. Once you setup your Arrive with the current 16GB you will need to setup everything again on a new install. Google for some tutorials. It's not too difficult to do. Just need a jewelers screwdriver set.

1. I have a 2003 Exchange server but I don't use the certs. I just put in the server credentials and everything syncs up (almost) pretty good. You'll have to do some checking and experimenting. Try to get this account setup and working so it can be your main e-mail/contacts. When I first set mine up I just put in my Live credentials. Then when I redid everything with the 32GB the 2nd time around I made sure to get Exchange going first.

A couple of errors I've had with Exchange Activesync is that on an appointment if I put in a note on the appointment on the phone it hasn't synced to Outlook. I don't understand it either. It's been a little inconvenient with how I have ran on Windows Mobile for all these years. Never a sync problem with it that I remember. Maybe a later Exchange brings better results or the Mango update. All of the phone number fields aren't seen on the Exchange contact either even though the phone number is there in the phone so you can't edit it out/in. A couple of appointments I put on the phone didn't show up in Outlook and I was late to them because I saw them at the last minute on my phone. Oh well, a few things still need to be worked out but overall it's pretty good.

2. Your Exchange & Live contacts will merge/show together in your phone. If you have two of the same contacts it will link them together. Your Live contacts can't see what's on your Exchange. It's pretty sweet and I thought at first I would hate it. I haven't messed with a lot of editing contacts to check what gets modified and where though. Even after suggestions to on this forum to uncheck the contacts mine doesn't show that option in the e-mail settings. Mine says "Content to sync - Email" and that's it under Windows Live. Like I said it isn't a big issue really. They're combined on the phone but separate from which servers they reside.

3. I don't use Facebook so I have NO IDEA how it works in WP7. My wife uses it on her EVO and likes it real well.

After a few days you'll get used to the OS and you'll marvel at how fast and intuitive it is. You'll wonder how you lived with the TP2 for so long
yea I can't even touch my tp2 anymore it seems so painful and unresponsive, even on the stock 6.1 rom. I only use it to look at some pictures that I don't want on my arrive and for ROM and software testing, I may also sign into FIM on it and just use it for that since the FIM on wp7 doesn't have notifications working like it should.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions