PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   MS makes more money on Android than on WP7?!?! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=144100)

orangekid 05-31-2011 11:56 AM

MS makes more money on Android than on WP7?!?!

Saw this article and it was pretty funny:

Quote:

It turns out that a lot of people haven't been paying attention. Over the weekend, a story about how Microsoft is earning more from HTC's Android devices than from its own Windows Phone 7 sales spread all across the web, with surprised reactions everywhere. Anyone who has been paying attention to Microsoft's recent patent trolling regarding Android could've seen this coming.Citi analyst Walter Pritchard revealed that HTC pays Microsoft $5 for every Android device it sells, as part of the patent deal between the two companies. Microsoft is currently suing other Android phone makers, and is seeking $7.50 to $12.50 per device, according to Pritchard. This is what Steve Ballmer referred to as 'Android's patent fee'.

As I have already said numerous times on OSNews: this is mafia behaviour. Microsoft is basically bullying Android device makers into paying protection money, probably with the goal of making this protection money about as much as the cost of a Windows Phone 7 license. Horace Dediu did some quick maths, and came to the conclusion that Microsoft earns more from HTC's Android devices than it does form its own Windows Phone 7;

Microsoft has admitted selling 2 million WP7 licenses, and assuming a price of $15 per license, that's $30 million in revenue. Using the rough estimate of 30 million HTC android devices, you come to the conclusion that Android earns Microsoft more than WP7.

(whole article HERE)

I'm sure WP7 sales will pick up in the long run, but for now it's pretty funny that Android is literally making them more $$$ than WP7 is.

AZTECHKA 05-31-2011 01:58 PM

Re: MS makes more money on Android than on WP7?!?!

I would do the same thinkg if I could. I think I'll patent the letter I. Or something like that.
p.

scheel78 05-31-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECHKA (Post 2108926)
I would do the same thinkg if I could. I think I'll patent the letter I. Or something like that.
p.

I already have dibs on I, but I'll let you use it for a payment of 25 cents for each use of the letter.

darren.wlsn1 05-31-2011 02:50 PM

omg eric is gonna have a coronary when he sees this, thanx orange.

orangekid 05-31-2011 02:56 PM

lol, np

Be interesting to see how this pans out, if WP7 totally flops MS can always keep raking in the $$$ from Android handsets.

AZTECHKA 05-31-2011 02:59 PM

I think Microsoft makes money every time anyone flushes the toilet.
If there's a way to make money... They know how.
Which is why I think WP7 will be a success... M$ has more than enough money to ensure it is a top contender. Maybe not number 1 but 3 isn't all that bad.
Especially when phones are not your core business.
p.

orangekid 05-31-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECHKA (Post 2108988)
I think Microsoft makes money every time anyone flushes the toilet.
If there's a way to make money... They know how.
Which is why I think WP7 will be a success... M$ has more than enough money to ensure it is a top contender. Maybe not number 1 but 3 isn't all that bad.
Especially when phones are not your core business.
p.

same goes for Google and Apple though.

AZTECHKA 05-31-2011 03:53 PM

Right... Which is why I think they will be the top 3 dogs and Web OS and RIM rounding out the top 5.
Not a bad lineup if you ask me.
p.

racehorse99 05-31-2011 04:31 PM

havent u heard eric is ms new secret os system he is really a bot, LOL

AZTECHKA 05-31-2011 04:34 PM

He needs a username change to EricTheBot
I love it.
p.