PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is Microsoft going to unlock their WP7 OS ?

Is Microsoft going to unlock their OS like what HTC is doing on the Android phone?

They better cause they are going to fall further and further behind in popularity.

Please delete or merge if this has been posted. I dont see it.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:38 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: Is Microsoft going to unlock their WP7 OS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
Is Microsoft going to unlock their OS like what HTC is doing on the Android phone?

They better cause they are going to fall further and further behind in popularity.

Please delete or merge if this has been posted. I dont see it.
WM7 hack-ability isn't what's preventing it from being adopted. Frankly, if the OEMs actually updated their Android releases there would be a lot less need for "open" bootloaders. But WP7 if it is a corporate play, would less likely support an open bootloader.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom--> HTC Trophy
Carrier: Verizon

WMFan85 is becoming a great contributor

I would just like to see a file explorer with network support. I like to add some more tones for texting since it is extremely limited with only having 10.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

WM was never truly open and unlocked. it had to be hacked and such just like everything else. and it will not fall in popularity, it will only gain and trends are already showing that as the Samsung focus was recently voted the best smartphone on at&t,more evidence of this also shows by the HTC trophy being sold out a few times. just because an OS isn't hackable doesn't mean that its not going to be popular.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium
Threadstarter

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work

OK, what about open source? Isnt that going to beat out in popularity?

I been a long time fan of Window mobile as you can see from my sig. But I am jumping to Android as soon as 3D comes out.

I dont know if I got attracted to the hardware or software.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:26 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
OK, what about open source?
Not unless the rapture happens first, no.

Microsoft is a lot of things, but they're not that.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:10 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

deadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deadwrong03 Send a message via MSN to deadwrong03 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwrong03 Send a message via Skype™ to deadwrong03
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; mwp6985))

I just want want to be able to download files off my file hosting sites like mp3s and albums thru the browser rar glfiles or whatever and be able to manage them with a file explorer

I see Android is the only platform where in the dropbox apo they can copy mp3s and other file types to the device
Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Once Apple goes open source, Microsoft will.

As I agree that a open OS is more fun to play with but, this was not the point of WP7. It was designed for the experiance, not for the hacking. A nice, fast easy to use system, not a messed up hacking system that is plauged with assorted problems and a marketplace full of 10,000 fart apps.

If you want hacking to just hack you phone, go with Android or WM 6.5, if you want a quick smooth phone that is easy to use with it's apps, Window Phone 7 is a nice option.

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions