PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Is Microsoft going to unlock their WP7 OS ? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=144054)

chong67 05-29-2011 05:18 PM

Is Microsoft going to unlock their WP7 OS ?

Is Microsoft going to unlock their OS like what HTC is doing on the Android phone?

They better cause they are going to fall further and further behind in popularity.

Please delete or merge if this has been posted. I dont see it. :mrgreen:

schettj 05-29-2011 06:38 PM

Re: Is Microsoft going to unlock their WP7 OS ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chong67 (Post 2108377)
Is Microsoft going to unlock their OS like what HTC is doing on the Android phone?

They better cause they are going to fall further and further behind in popularity.

Please delete or merge if this has been posted. I dont see it. :mrgreen:

WM7 hack-ability isn't what's preventing it from being adopted. Frankly, if the OEMs actually updated their Android releases there would be a lot less need for "open" bootloaders. But WP7 if it is a corporate play, would less likely support an open bootloader.

WMFan85 05-29-2011 11:29 PM

I would just like to see a file explorer with network support. I like to add some more tones for texting since it is extremely limited with only having 10.

eric12341 05-30-2011 12:42 AM

WM was never truly open and unlocked. it had to be hacked and such just like everything else. and it will not fall in popularity, it will only gain and trends are already showing that as the Samsung focus was recently voted the best smartphone on at&t,more evidence of this also shows by the HTC trophy being sold out a few times. just because an OS isn't hackable doesn't mean that its not going to be popular.

chong67 05-30-2011 08:12 AM

OK, what about open source? Isnt that going to beat out in popularity?

I been a long time fan of Window mobile as you can see from my sig. But I am jumping to Android as soon as 3D comes out.

I dont know if I got attracted to the hardware or software.

schettj 05-30-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chong67 (Post 2108512)
OK, what about open source?

Not unless the rapture happens first, no.

Microsoft is a lot of things, but they're not that.

deadwrong03 05-30-2011 10:10 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; mwp6985))

I just want want to be able to download files off my file hosting sites like mp3s and albums thru the browser rar glfiles or whatever and be able to manage them with a file explorer

I see Android is the only platform where in the dropbox apo they can copy mp3s and other file types to the device

DavidinCT 05-31-2011 08:46 AM

Once Apple goes open source, Microsoft will.

As I agree that a open OS is more fun to play with but, this was not the point of WP7. It was designed for the experiance, not for the hacking. A nice, fast easy to use system, not a messed up hacking system that is plauged with assorted problems and a marketplace full of 10,000 fart apps.

If you want hacking to just hack you phone, go with Android or WM 6.5, if you want a quick smooth phone that is easy to use with it's apps, Window Phone 7 is a nice option.